The decision(s)

Ok so I am in the queue to get it done.. The doctors scheduling assistant calls and says if you want Christiana (bigger hospital) it may not be this year. "The doctor doesn't have a blocked time there...Your not the only one who wants Christiana and with the holidays.... I have end of next month at Wilmington hospital (smaller hospital) I leave it at Christiana" I think about and call back and leave a message I'll take the 19th... Who wants to think about knee surgery for 2 months?

Geeze my knee, thousands of dollars and I get lip from the admin...
I'll bet he will do 5 of them that day...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
Ok so I am in the queue to get it done.. The doctors scheduling assistant calls and says if you want Christiana (bigger hospital) it may not be this year. "The doctor doesn't have a blocked time there...Your not the only one who wants Christiana and with the holidays.... I have end of next month at Wilmington hospital (smaller hospital) I leave it at Christiana" I think about and call back and leave a message I'll take the 19th... Who wants to think about knee surgery for 2 months?

Geeze my knee, thousands of dollars and I get lip from the admin...
I'll bet he will do 5 of them that day...

Congrats on making the decision to go ahead, and I'd agree sooner is better. FYI, graph shows cost breakdown for TKR DW had done in August. Hospital took the biggest part of the pie by far. $34,580 total cost so far, DW was doing so well with rehab surgeon said she could skip 3 month follow-up and just do the 1 year which will probably add another $500 or so with X-rays, etc. Amounts based on HI 'allowed' expenses, which were about 73% of what was billed. Wishing you the best on all involved.

Attachments

• TKR.png
    TKR.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 21
"..and with the holidays...[meaningful pause: You'd better not be one of those people who don't quite get that The Holidays are when the Whole World Shuts Down....]

I hate that phrase. Along with "You're not the only one who...."

I don't see why they can't just tell you it's not available and leave out the editorializing.

My mom just had both knees done at age 70. She held off doing it and now regrets waiting. The issue is that by time she did it her good knee had started compensating for the bad knee and had caused other issues...which you may already be doing. She ended up having bigger issues with therapy on her "good" leg than her bad leg and because she waited so long it took much longer to recover.

I know, I'm almost certainly going to have one on my right knee. Haven't been able to run for 20+ years and while pain still isn't terrible, it is increasing.

My mother had three knee replacements - she wore one out but that was close to 20 years ago so the newer ones are hopefully much better.
Not being able to run was the first time I had no choice but to accept the fact that I was getting older. I wouldn't say it was tough, but it was something of a unwelcome date with reality.

I didn't know that 3 knee replacements was a possibility. From what I've been told, they try to keep it to 2, as each subsequent procedure lasts less time than the last. I imagine if I ever get to my 3rd, I'll be happy to still be around, and not too concerned if it's going to last a long time.

I didn't know that 3 knee replacements was a possibility. From what I've been told, they try to keep it to 2, as each subsequent procedure lasts less time than the last. I imagine if I ever get to my 3rd, I'll be happy to still be around, and not too concerned if it's going to last a long time.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. She'd had both knees done about a year or so apart and then one of those wore out.

Not the same knee three times, one knee twice.

I am on the schedule for one at the end of November. Fifteen years of sports officiating high school baseball and football has worn me out!

I am on the schedule for one at the end of November. Fifteen years of sports officiating high school baseball and football has worn me out!

Good luck buddy....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

heeyy_joe - I always thought a book written about you job would be fantastic.
chapter titles
funny but true
worst / best coaches
funny lines by both players and coaches
best and worst games
etc

I would only do one at a time, to reduce the risk.

Those canned statements folks have about medical stuff is odd sayings that get passed around and I don't believe them. I had a relative who had her hips replaced twice because she lived a long time, she always felt the new hip was much better than the pain of not having an operation.

I would avoid surgery during the Christmas break.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom