Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my first implant two years ago. IMO they are the way to go.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #22

Implants all the way.

The alternative for a new bridge that "lasts 10 years" means you're facing this same decision again at 75. That would be more complicated and scary, and dental stuff usually gets in the way of other procedures (as you probably know from your TKR's). FIL is about 76 but had to delay getting a shoulder done because of a wobbly crown that needed fixing.

I have one implant from a couple of years ago. Extraction was cake, put in a "stump" at the same time (didn't need a temp because of the position). Got the new tooth a few months later and it's never felt odd.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In July, it will be 17 years since I got my implant. I am very happy with it.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All the bridges my husband and I had lasted 20 years. I had full implants on the bottom so the price was 33k and the pain significant for the first 4 days because they put in 4 to hold the teeth. Plus I was quite swollen. But no alternative except a denture.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

1. Rebuild the two remaining teeth with posts and a new bridge. It could last 10 years or more. I’m 65
2. 3 implants, 2 extractions and 3 new teeth. One and done but pricy and probably 4 months with a temporary teeth. Implants must have time to fuse.

Any thought out there.. the thought of 3 implants scares me.
Any option to rebuild the 2 remaining teeth, and do a single implant. ?
Old 06-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Wow. That's a great price. Did insurance cover most of it, this reducing your coat to $5,000 for the 3 implants,? I had one implant last year covered 60% by dental insurance and the cost to me was still 3 grand.
DW corrected me (as usual). It was two. But we paid cash - no insurance. Dentist gave her an unspecified discount because of LT relationship and zero insurance.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

And I am the 3rd retired dentist responding and I also echo my colleagues' shared opinion. If this was my mouth, and as long as the two existing teeth are in healthy enough condition, I would have the bridge remade. If the bridge is remade and eventually fails, then you still have the option for implants, or maybe another redo. If implants are done and there is a failure, not pretty.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #28

Thanks all for replying..
After thinking about it I’ve scheduled the implants for Monday. Why?
1) The teeth are broken below the gum line. That paddle ball racket caused a good deal of trauma - I question their viability.
I had a root crack and get infected then an extraction..
2) lots of feed back “best decision I’ve ever made”

It won’t be fun but there are far worse things... thanks again
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Thanks all for replying..
After thinking about it I’ve scheduled the implants for Monday. Why?
1) The teeth are broken below the gum line. That paddle ball racket caused a good deal of trauma - I question their viability.
I had a root crack and get infected then an extraction..
2) lots of feed back “best decision I’ve ever made”

It won’t be fun but there are far worse things... thanks again
Sounds to me like you have made the right decision, for you. BTW, back in the late 1970s and early 80s when racquetball was gaining a lot of popularity, I played it for awhile, along with squash. I could never get comfortable with those rackets whizzing by my head, especially in squash. I also had the opportunity to play platform tennis, which I took up to the exclusion of the other two, because I was more comfortable with my opponents in front of me, than behind me. Of course I got whacked in the nuts a couple of times, but that did go away eventually.

Best of luck!
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote