Join Early Retirement Today

The (dental) choices are ...
Old 06-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The (dental) choices are ...

So I was a racketball nut when I was in my early 20s, I just loved the game until a reckless opponent hit me with racket and broke several of my front teeth. There was quit a bit of trauma to my mouth, caps then post eventually bridges. Last week one three tooth bridge failed. It has two teeth with root canals and a missing tooth that cantilevered off the others 2. Well it snapped and although it is re-glued in place, it will need to be replaced. I knew it was a big deal and now I am faced with a choices. Not tomorrow mind you but he said “I would be proactive.”

1. Rebuild the two remaining teeth with posts and a new bridge. It could last 10 years or more. I’m 65
2. 3 implants, 2 extractions and 3 new teeth. One and done but pricy and probably 4 months with a temporary teeth. Implants must have time to fuse.

Any thought out there.. the thought of 3 implants scares me.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yep. Teeth are expensive. Through car wrecks, bad dentist work, bad luck and old age, I have had everything done to my teeth that one can have done. And I am having a bridge replaced at the moment ($2300).

I had two implants at age 74. Simple surgery and great stuff. Easy if there are no bone grafts needed. A bit more time is needed and another procedure if a bone graft is required. Costly though'

In the last four years, i have had two root canals, several caps made, two partial bridges, an extraction, two implants (ouch expensive!), and a post replaced with a new tooth.

I call the work and cost my "new F150".
Old 06-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If you live near Mexico, maybe you could explore going to a Mexican dentist. There is bound to be someone on this forum who has gone to a foreign country for dental issues, especially expensive ones, and could provide a recommendation on where to go so you’d be safe and not get ripped off (or worse).
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopycat View Post
If you live near Mexico, maybe you could explore going to a Mexican dentist. There is bound to be someone on this forum who has gone to a foreign country for dental issues, especially expensive ones, and could provide a recommendation on where to go so you’d be safe and not get ripped off (or worse).
Ray lives in PA I think. And yes, there are established dental facilities in Mexico near the Arizona border and also in Costa Rica where Americans can get good work for a less expensive cost.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #5

DW did three implants last year to replace a failed bridge. Cost was ~$5G. Expensive but worth it.

Best.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have two bridges that were done in 1992 courtesy of your tax dollars while stationed in Japan in the Air Force. I consider myself very fortunate they have lasted this long and don’t have any signs of failing yet. When the time comes, I’ll go the implant route. My wife had a couple and she’s very pleased with her dentist that did the work.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have started going to the local university's dental clinic. Treatment is at the current state of the art, quality control (professors' checking everything) is excellent, and they have no motivation to sell me anything that I don't need. Cost (which is not my main criterion) runs maybe half or less what I would pay outside. I've been told that some university dental clinics are free.

If you have the option, I'd suggest getting a second opinion and a quote from your local school clinic.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've had 3 implants but not all at once. Expensive but worth it.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Wow. That's a great price. Did insurance cover most of it, this reducing your coat to $5,000 for the 3 implants,? I had one implant last year covered 60% by dental insurance and the cost to me was still 3 grand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
DW did three implants last year to replace a failed bridge. Cost was ~$5G. Expensive but worth it.

Best.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

From what i understand with what you stated I would go with implants.

Check your PM's
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a retired dentist who teaches at a local university. with the little information given it is impossible to say which treatment option is best. If the two remaining teeth are in good condition,( root canals look good still and no fractures), it would be less expensive to do new post and cores and make a new bridge. your dentist has all the information to look at and give the best advice. you say he/she thinks this could last 10 years or more. that sounds pretty good to me. If your not sure, get a second opinion.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

I think as an engineer, to fix the root cause (no pun intended there) it means implants. Assuming you can do them without excessive bone grafts as mentioned.
A new bridge, using two teeth that are less than 100%, seems risking problems in future. Sure it's cheaper, and you had current for many years. Permanent fix, even if costlier, avoids future problems .

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Rayinpenn, what is it that "scares" you about the 3 implants?
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ray - I would do the implants 1 and done option. Then you're done.

I currently have a dental dilemma. Broke off a molar a couple of months ago. Same one that my dentist put a temporary fix on a year ago. Temporary because I left for the winter shortly thereafter, and he didn't have time to get an implant or whatever made. He gave me a tube of filling cement in case it broke while I was gone.

I went for my last regular checkup and told him that the temp fix was holding together. Then came Covid shutdown and the current tooth break. I don't want to go to the dentist yet and I don't have the confidence to fill it myself with the cement he gave me.

I have an appt July 10. Hopefully I can hold out until then. Not sure what current dentist office visits guidelines are.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yep. Teeth are expensive.

I call the work and cost my "new F150".
Is that the cost of a XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum or Limited?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Is that the cost of a XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum or Limited?
A nice XLT as I priced one the year I started spending the "Big Bucks" at the dentist (2 year spending span though).
Old 06-02-2020, 02:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
Rayinpenn, what is it that "scares" you about the 3 implants?

1) I have 2 already and one doesn’t feel quite as normal as a saw the many caps and crowns I have had.
2) it will require 2 extractions
3) walking around with 3 implants ‘settling in’ for several months with a temporary teeth.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I am a retired dentist who teaches at a local university. with the little information given it is impossible to say which treatment option is best. If the two remaining teeth are in good condition,( root canals look good still and no fractures), it would be less expensive to do new post and cores and make a new bridge. your dentist has all the information to look at and give the best advice. you say he/she thinks this could last 10 years or more. that sounds pretty good to me. If your not sure, get a second opinion.
Another retired dentist here: and I echo mn54's thoughts.

It's all about the strength and integrity of the abutment teeth. An implant is likely to be stronger than a weak natural abutment. I will say, that later in my career as implants became more tested, I became increasingly squeamish about putting bridges on root canal and posted teeth. But a lot of that would depend upon the bulk of the root, and how much natural tooth remained.

It's a tough call. And, BTW, implants can fail also. The batting average is pretty high, probably higher than with restoring on endodontically treated teeth with posts, by a significant margin, but they aren't infallible.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Given your two choices, I’d go with the implants.

I’m 59 and made the $8,000 decision nine years ago - when I had 3 teeth removed, 2 implants placed and a partial created.

I fretted over this decision for 3+ years but finally bit the bullet. It was well worth the cost and has been in place for 10 years.

In fact, I’m going to have to make the decision again very soon as I have decay in my upper molars. I will definitely make the same decision as opposed to getting dentures.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:25 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

If bone grafts or sinus cavity relocation are not required for the implants, then choose the implants.
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote