The Flu Shot

Hey now, the CDC says that is for ages 50 and older! I'm a good ways from there, my friend! But I will tell DH, he's practically a fossil! :D

Don might have already had it. They probably snuck it in with the other shots he's had to get before heading out into the hinterlands. Maybe you too, for that matter.

Don might have already had it. They probably snuck it in with the other shots he's had to get before heading out into the hinterlands. Maybe you too, for that matter.

True. Will have to check on that. This last trip the only thing he probably need inoculation against was terrible Russian vodka! :D

I used to get a free flu shot every year at work. It was so convenient and easy, and took less than five minutes. I never had a bad reaction of any kind. To me it seemed like the flu shot raised my general immunity, and I felt that I was less likely to be out sick for other reasons.

But since I retired, I haven't had any flu shots. This thread is inspiring me to get one, since they are free with Medicare and BCBS, and my local CVS is advertising that they have flu shots available. I never had the "super flu shot" for ages 65+ before, though, so I am going to wait until I have nothing scheduled before getting it.

Also inspiring me to get a flu shot is the following tidbit of information, which to me is pretty shocking. Even if it was exaggerated, which I have no reason to believe is the case, it still would be motivation enough for me to get the shot now that I am 66 years old:

During most seasons, it's estimated that 90 percent of seasonal flu-related deaths [...] occur in people 65 years and older
What You Should Know and Do this Flu Season If You Are 65 Years and Older | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

I was in yesterday getting my Achilles tendonitis checked out (yep, that's what it is), and they offered the shot so I took it. They don't usually bother me, but my arm's a little achy this morning. Must be the good stuff.

This week I received in the mail the CVS Pharmacy no-cost (with supporting insurance) flu shot advertisement. But I wanted to get a Tdap shot also, and found out in advance that it isn't given at the Pharm. Checked out the CVS Minute Clinic, they will do it, so I just got both Flu and Tdap there.
If I post anything crazy here, I'm not responsible, it's probably a reaction between the shots. Buy indexed annuities now! Mutual Funds with 2% E/R are the best! Load up on gold! Wash off tin foil and saran wrap and live in a commune!

Next is the priority one, the Shingles shot. I'm going to go to my PCP for that, hopefully not a full office visit. I need to go there every once in a long while to stay current as a patient. But I don't want to stay too current ;)

My PCP did not offer the Shingles shot. They recommended the pharmacy. The problem is TriCare for Life requires it be given by the doctor's office. It took me two years to convince them to give it to me.

I believe Medicare will pay for your annual flu shot for those 65&>.

Next is the priority one, the Shingles shot. I'm going to go to my PCP for that, hopefully not a full office visit. I need to go there every once in a long while to stay current as a patient. But I don't want to stay too current ;)

Well that didn't work out! I could not get anyone at my PCP via phone nor leaving messages to tell me, without a doubt, that getting a Shingles shot from them, and their obligatory visit with Dr. for a minute, that they would code it as "Preventative" (and not "diagnostic" or "Dr. directed"). This was very important, as the Shingles shot is $$$, plus the office visit on top of that. My insurance will pay 100% for vaccines and the administration thereof, if they are on the CDC vaccination list (Shingles, Flu, Tdap, etc. etc.).
We pay $7,000 a year for group plan premiums on a hi-deductible plan. I should be able to use the "preventative" benefits!
Problem is not the ins. co., it's the PCPs. DW had same issue elsewhere on a bone-density test that she decided she wanted. We got snookered on that one, had to pay it all ourselves as the PCP secretly coded it as diagnostic, and DW was unable to get them (PCP) to change it ("but it goes towards your deductible" - yeah, right, just like money in the bank, not!)

So I did some looking around online, CVS Minute Clinic does not give the Shingles shot, but CVS pharmacy in same store does give it. They had it in stock and person to give it. They had no problem at all entering my ins. card # into their system, finding me, and getting approval at 100% preventative BEFORE doing anything! They had their act together. Yay! So I got it there. I am getting better service at retail pharmacy and minute clinic than at PCP.

Shingles shot is a shot just under the skin, more like the old TB test, and not down into muscle. With today's thin needles, into the muscle is about painless to me, nothing at all like the nail they would hammer me with in the old days! But the Shingles shot was more painful, and is sore. But still no big deal.
I am now done with shots. My shots bucket list is empty!

As more and more of the costs of health insurance are being transferred to the workers, soon I expect people to start complaining that 1/4 or 1/5 of their salary is going for health ins. premiums, and they will start getting angry with their PCPs "money is no object" (if it's the patients money!) attitude.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom