The future of meat

He ate it, but here again, he has eaten just about everything but green olives. lol

It could be because the olives are not pitted, and the dog did not know to chew off the flesh and spit out the stone.

I picked up some beyond meat 'taco meat' at Kroger. Now it was a few months ago, so I may have the name wrong, BUT, what I do remember, is the dog got half of it!

Thawed and cooked some cow tongue reserved from last fall's harvest. Boiled, peeled, ground then pan fried it with taco seasonings. Big hit with the grandkids especially if after every other bite you say "Ow, I think I bit my tongue" :dance:

Beyond Meat is delicious. I do not eat meat and was introduced to Beyond Meat by a colleague who regularly eats meat and is trying to improve his eating habits. We had the Beyond Meat "sausage" and it tastes really good.

Like almost anything else, give it a try one time and determine if you like it or not. It tastes good and is healthier for you than the meat alternative.

PS Beyond Meat stock went wild in a positive way. Wow! If you were a part of the fast rise congratulations. Don't forget about the "safer" S&P500 index fund.

Beyond Meat is delicious. I do not eat meat and was introduced to Beyond Meat by a colleague who regularly eats meat and is trying to improve his eating habits. We had the Beyond Meat "sausage" and it tastes really good.

Like almost anything else, give it a try one time and determine if you like it or not. It tastes good and is healthier for you than the meat alternative.

PS Beyond Meat stock went wild in a positive way. Wow! If you were a part of the fast rise congratulations. Don't forget about the "safer" S&P500 index fund.

This product will have to sell itself on the basis of "It might not be any better for YOU than meat, but at least it's better for the environment." Then, of course they will have to lower the price by 30%-50% at least.

SATURATED FAT: Read the labels. Compare to a 1/4 pounder of 85% lean regular meat. No saturated fat difference. And it might have more sat-fat than beef because most burgers have a filler in them like bread crumbs reducing the amount of meat

For low-carbers the small amount of filler in a burger would not be very impactful vis-a-vis Beyond Meat.

CHOLESTEROL? OK they have zero and a beef 85% lean 1/4 pounder has something like 75 mg. "Cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption." You can look-up that quote. It's from a landmark buzz-making study and ensuing recommendation from 2015. So, that's a wash. Sat-fat=Bad. Cholesterol = "What's da problem?"

CALORIES: About the same.

PROTEIN: About the same but plant protein is incomplete, lacking all the essential amino acids. Animal protein is complete. You can mix and match various plant sources in a lab and cover the amino acid problem but I do not see this addressed in the Beyond Meat products. Until further notice, I can only regard them as incomplete protein. I do not expect their sausages to compare any better health-wise. Maybe the person who had the sausages saved the label info and can compare to a relevant pork sausage product?

I have already had their ground beef "crumbles" and burgers. As a stand-alone product, just something to eat and not compared to the "real" alternative, I found the burgers specially, to be outstanding! When the price comes down I can seem myself eating more of this

Last edited:
This product will have to sell itself on the basis of "It might not be any better for YOU than meat, but at least it's better for the environment." Then, of course they will have to lower the price by 30%-50% at least.

The nutritionfacts.org site has a video on plant based low carb diets, in the first study he mentions it specifically including fake meats, as actually being pretty healthy - https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-atkins-diet/.

I bought some Quorn sausages at the grocery store the other day but we haven't tried them yet. They were at an outlet store and pretty cheap.

The nutritionfacts.org site has a video on plant based low carb diets, in the first study he mentions it specifically including fake meats, as actually being pretty healthy - https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-atkins-diet/.

I bought some Quorn sausages at the grocery store the other day but we haven't tried them yet. They were at an outlet store and pretty cheap.

I'm sure this stuff is OK for low-carbers. Sorry, if I came across as saying otherwise.

I just read the Wiki entry on Quorn.... The "controversies" section did not give me a nice feeling.

I didn't find any problem low carbing on a plant based diet. Plant based does not mean animal-free altho everybody seems to think it does. The way Low carb doesn't mean you eat steak and bacon all the time and never eat vegetables. Some people seem to think that's what it means.

Vegetables are mostly low carb anyway. you can eat lots of plants and stay low carb. Even at 35-40 grams per day that is dust in carb terms. Even Atkins requires 20 grams per day. Grains/sugars/starches are the real enemy of low carb.

And BTW, if we're supposed to be wary of things like Canola oil, I Wouldn't fall in love at first sight with things like Quorn.

Last edited:
I'm sure this stuff is OK for low-carbers. Sorry, if I came across as saying otherwise.

I just read the Wiki entry on Quorn.... The "controversies" section did not give me a nice feeling.

I didn't find any problem low carbing on a plant based diet. Plant based does not mean animal-free altho everybody seems to think it does. The way Low carb doesn't mean you at steak and bacon all the time and never eat vegetables. Some people seem to think that's what it means.

I'll take a look at the wiki on the Quorn. Thanks for the heads up!

Edited at add: Just read the Wikipedia entry and decided to throw out the Quorn. Thanks again for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Just passing this along for any fans of meat. It's a podcast conversation with Dr. Shawn Baker, Mark Sisson, and Dr. Paul Saladino. I listened to it recently and thought it was a very interesting discussion.

https://www.peak-human.com/home/the...rk-sisson-dr-paul-saladino-and-dr-shawn-baker

Most of it wasn't news to me. I've been carnivore for over a year now, with very good results. I've had to educate myself about the nature of the science, because I was concerned (as anyone who paid attention to media for the past 30 years) about cancer, heart disease, etc. What I learned over many months of research, reading, and listening was that there is a TON of misinformation and bad/weak "science" about the so-called dangers of eating meat. It's an uphill battle to get the word out, because there is so much bad info out there, powerful committees stacked with anti-meat biased academics, ignorance about the limitations of the research, etc.

Having said that, though, I think everyone should eat what they like. I try to mind my own business. Food choices can sometimes be as contentious as politics and religion (you should see some of the carnivore vs. vegan fights), and I don't have the energy for argument.

I'm just putting it out there for anyone who is pro-meat, worried about health risk, or just carnivore curious. It's just the tip of the iceberg, of course, but it's an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Full disclosure: I've never tried "Beyond Meat." Having said that, I've never tasted ANY veggie meat or meat substitute that wasn't at least "unpleasant" tasting to me. I've tolerated some turkey substitutes, but they are certainly "detectable" as "not the original." If I get a chance, I will try Beyond Meat, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom