Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Along those lines I have a food marble breath tester to measure fermentation in the gut. When I was doing the testing, on a 1 - 10 scale I was getting really low numbers until I had some chocolates from a box of candy we got as a gift. Then it went to 8. I really don't do well with sugar.
The tester you mention sounds interesting. Do you have SBIO? I may or may not have it (no symptoms), but I wanted to know more about it and found about FODMAP and how some foods could be affecting your gut adversely. What's interesting is that the foods that are actually considered healthy (such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, artichoke, cauliflower, onions, garlic, leeks, mushrooms, snow peas) are considered high FODMAP foods, and people with SBIO and even some with healthy gut react to them quite badly due to their high fermentation factor.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
The tester you mention sounds interesting. Do you have SBIO? I may or may not have it (no symptoms), but I wanted to know more about it and found about FODMAP and how some foods could be affecting your gut adversely. What's interesting is that the foods that are actually considered healthy (such as asparagus, Brussels sprouts, artichoke, cauliflower, onions, garlic, leeks, mushrooms, snow peas) are considered high FODMAP foods, and people with SBIO and even some with healthy gut react to them quite badly due to their high fermentation factor.

You can buy the tester on Amazon. I haven't used the tester in awhile because there was a pretty clear pattern of only reacting to high sugar foods like candy and not anything else I tested.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #143

Tai chi, with Qi gong warmup.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Tai chi, with Qi gong warmup.
Do you do Tai chi at home alone, or do you have to take lessons / be part of a class?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Do you do Tai chi at home alone, or do you have to take lessons / be part of a class?
Pre covid , class. Then, the instructor Zoomed a few classes, which I could then access and do anytime I wanted. Convenient, but no feedback or social interaction.

Most mornings or evenings, I’ll do “the form”, which only takes about 10 minutes.

The founder of my type of Tai Chi, Master Alfred, who I had the opportunity to meet and practice with before he passed away couple years ago at the age of 97, also wrote a book on it. He said to do “ the form” twice a day.
gcgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Pre covid , class. Then, the instructor Zoomed a few classes, which I could then access and do anytime I wanted. Convenient, but no feedback or social interaction.

Most mornings or evenings, I’ll do “the form”, which only takes about 10 minutes.

The founder of my type of Tai Chi, Master Alfred, who I had the opportunity to meet and practice with before he passed away couple years ago at the age of 97, also wrote a book on it. He said to do “ the form” twice a day.
My local library is linked with "hoopla" and I've been trying the Essentials of Tai Chi and Qigong Great Courses series. I'm not very good at it, hehe!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

I learned Tai Chi a long time ago in my 20s. I was studying other martial arts at the time. I thought it was very cool, and would take classes in person again if they were easy to access. I will be more proactive about seeking instruction when I am a lot older.

In the meantime yoga really fits the bill.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My local library is linked with "hoopla" and I've been trying the Essentials of Tai Chi and Qigong Great Courses series. I'm not very good at it, hehe!

Glad I saw this. I've accessed Tai Chi via YouTube, etc. but never thought of checking Hoopla. I am happy to learn of this. Tai Chi helps my blood pressure (surely). Thanks.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Uric acid is a cheap biomarker to test and possibly adjust through diet for healthful aging. Ultalabs usually has the blood test on special for $13 or you can buy test strips or a monitor on Amazon.

The nutritionfacts site says the healthiest range seems to be a score between 5 -7. Scores below that are linked in research papers to diseases like Alzheimer's and MS, while scores above that are higher risk for gout and heart attacks. Gout and Alzheimer's disease actually have an inverse relationship - Gout and the risk of Alzheimer’s disease: a population-based, BMI-matched cohort study (nih.gov)
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got my 1st Shingrix, Shingles vaccine today. This may be a bit "under the radar" as far as a preventive vaccines go (especially in these days of Covid vaccines) but I think its important. My mom and others I've known suffered from Shingles and it is a terrible condition that can be very debilitating. Have others here gotten the vaccine (recommended for over 50 YO)? Any bad side effects from the vaccine to be aware of (the side effects sheet they gave me scared me a bit). Thanks.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #151

Interesting thread. I have a question about building and maintaining muscle mass. What have you done, what has worked what hasn't?

Retired 5 years ago in Jan '22. Lost 30lbs, 20 of those in the first 8 months retired. Presently 6' 1" and around 175 lbs. I don't eat stupid, but I am not on any kind of diet, trust me. I am convinced that it is just being more active (had a desk job mostly at megacorp) and since I am preparing more of my own food, my portions are smaller. Eat lots of seafood, red meat maybe 1-3 times a month. Turn 60 in January.

On track to hit my goal of 550 miles hiking in 2021, and play racquetball 1-2 times a week (have played since 1976!). Generally feel pretty good, love the lack of gut.

But I have noticed that I just can't lift things as easily as before, and my wife disdains that my "nice ass" is gone, and that now I have OMB (old man butt).

So, wondering about sustainable changes in diet and exercise that might help. I have never been busier in my life than I have been the last 5 years and I don't want to slow down!
Old 09-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #152

To get strong, lift heavy weights. Progressive overload. Check out Stronglifts for a good starter program. Basic compound lifts (deadlift, squats, bench - squats for sure for your butt). Small sets, 5 sets of 5 lifts is a good start. Add accessory stuff (curls, etc.) after you get used to a basic routine, 3+ months in.

Add protein to your diet. Don't have to eat less or cut stuff out, but you generally want about at least 1gm of protein per lb of body weight, if not more, to start building some muscle. Greek yogurt is great. Overnight oats for breakfast, stuff like that. Dabble with protein shakes to drink during a workout. Eating to gain muscle is a lot of fun.

As a guy, you will be able too easily get some growth from newbie gains, but as an older guy don't expect anywhere near the gains a 30 year old can get.

If you don't have a lifting gym, you could start with dumbells and body weight, but to really get stronger you need to be able to increase the load every workout or two. Luckily, most basic equipment (bars, plates, benches, racks) is a lot easier to find now than it was a year ago.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

We've started doing Qi Gong and Tai Chi videos. I had scoliosis with uneven shoulders my whole life and the videos are visibly building up the muscle mass in my weaker shoulder and improving my scoliosis. Plus we're building up our Qi and who doesn't need more of that!

The Tai Chi / Qi Gong videos are working out so well I started rereading some of my traditional Chinese medicine books on other ways to build up Qi with our diets.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
I just got my 1st Shingrix, Shingles vaccine today. This may be a bit "under the radar" as far as a preventive vaccines go (especially in these days of Covid vaccines) but I think its important. My mom and others I've known suffered from Shingles and it is a terrible condition that can be very debilitating. Have others here gotten the vaccine (recommended for over 50 YO)? Any bad side effects from the vaccine to be aware of (the side effects sheet they gave me scared me a bit). Thanks.

I've gotten both Shingrix shots. Both times it hurt way more than a flu shot. Couldn't sleep on my left side for a couple nights. Also, had the never-popular flu-like symptoms. Felt like crap, stayed in bed two days. Out of bed but still felt like crap 2 more days. It's a shot I'm glad I don't have to get every year.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #155

Exercises: golf, workout, bicycle, ping-pong, occasional hiking
Mental exercise: writing, reading, playing Go
Diet: intermittent dieting (try to adhere), eating less meat, drinking green tea

My big vice that can negate the above: two drinks per day.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Whole thread on it.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ad.php?t=89949

Hope I did this right
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

115 and razztazz, thanks for your responses and the link to the thread did work! Good to know others experiences. I will post mine at the other thread over the next couple of days.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #158

Quote:

I got it and no problems other than a sore arm.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:32 AM   #159

I had. 24 hour “flu” after the first shingrex so I made sure I got my second shot on a Friday in case it happened again ( since I was working ) and sure enough I did get sick the second time.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote