Join Early Retirement Today

The Healthful Aging Thread
Old 08-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Healthful Aging Thread

This is a place to share information as us young retirees and not so young anymore retirees try to maintain or even improve our health as we age.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

OK here is a really wild one. There is a huge amount of research on the gut biome and how it impacts our health. But I hadn’t run across anti-aging research until recently.

New poo, new you? Fecal transplants reverse signs of brain aging in mice
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...ain-aging-mice
Quote:
The first thing the team noticed was that the gut microbiomes of the old mice given young mouse microbes began to resemble those of the younger ones. The common gut microbe Enterococcus became much more abundant in old mice, just as it is in young mice, for example.

There were changes in the brain as well. The hippocampus of old mice—a region of the brain associated with learning and memory—became more physically and chemically similar to the hippocampus of young mice. The old mice that received young mouse poop also learned to solve mazes faster and were better at remembering the maze layout on subsequent attempts, the team reports today in Nature Aging. None of these effects was seen in old mice given old mouse feces.
Hmmmm - I don’t know how I feel about that. Maybe something less drastic?

What is a fecal transplant? Well it’s used today to treat bad gastric infections such as C. difficile https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...cal-transplant
Old 08-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We're doing gut testing. It has been very informative. So far we've done the Thryve tests and will likely retest with Thryve and do all the others. They are pretty cheap compared to most conventional medical treatments. DH is taking customized probiotics from Thryve and feels they have improved his health.

We're doing extensive nutritional and biomarker testing, plus the gut testing - the kinds of tests insurance won't cover. It has been great so far and really helped us tweak our diets. I plan to do all the tests in the Breseden studies on Alzheimer prevention, plus started doing cancer biomarkers

Gut testing and tweaking diets / probiotics / lifestyle changes to improve the microbiome is going to be the next big thing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, Dr. Dale Bredesen is a good resource for learning about preventing dementia including Alzheimer’s.

Here are some things that multiple dementia researchers emphasize that I have incorporated:
  • Maintaining low blood insulin - insulin resistance/metabolic disease is strongly associated with Alzheimer’s etc.
  • Plenty of sleep - the brain needs sleep to do its garbage collection and get the waste out.
  • Exercise - actually helps build new neurons.
  • Activities that require learning new information such as playing an instrument (learning new pieces) or learning a language help build new neurons. Repetitive stuff not so much.
There are other things cause dementia such as environmental toxins, serious brain injury/trauma and Dr. Bredesen discusses those as well.

He does good interviews on podcasts. So listen to an interview with your favorite podcaster.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
  • Activities that require learning new information such as playing an instrument (learning new pieces) or learning a language help build new neurons. Repetitive stuff not so much.
Sí. È una buona idea. E gli indigeni ridono forte quando parlo!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Excellent! You've been working on Italian for many years now, right?

When I picked up piano again late 2018 after not playing at all for thirty-seven years (!!!) it was a deliberate anti-aging choice (which turned out to be incredibly rewarding and enjoyable as well).

1. Hand and finger dexterity. I decided that my guitar wasn't exercising my right hand enough and I was hoping to stave off arthritis, etc., and

2. Learning new pieces clearly a huge brain exercise - hand brain eye coordination and then massive memorization.

I also work on languages and have most of the time since retiring, Spanish, Dutch and French.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We cut out convenience food and fast food. Feel so much better for it. Less meat, more chicken and fish-always grilled. Lots more fresh fruit and salad every day.

Pre covid we traveled internationally twice per year 8-9 weeks each time. Mostly independent, spontaneous travel. Lots of work to arrange things as we go. Plus one-two week last minute trips in between. Keeps us moving, thinking, on our toes, and engaging in different experiences, meeting new people, etc. . Will be glad when we can get back to travel.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'll leave all the "eat this, eat that" stuff to the rest of you and instead, I want to focus on falls.

Quote:
Falls are common and costly, especially among Americans age 65 and older. But falls are preventable and do not have to be an inevitable part of aging.

Every second of every day, an older adult (age 65+) suffers a fall in the U.S.—making falls the leading cause of injury and injury death in this age group. One out of four older adults will fall each year in the United States, making falls a public health concern, particularly among the aging population.
https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/...lls/index.html

I used to fall a lot, and had a couple of very bad falls back in 2015, when moving into this house. Since then, my cataract surgery and knee replacement surgery have really helped me to cut back on falls (because I can actually see obstacles(!) and I no longer wobble precariously about when I walk).

But, I am getting older and even one fall could hurt me more than it would have years ago. So, a hobby of mine is to try to "fall proof" my home and environment. Luckily my home has no stairs, so falling down stairs will never be an issue here.

I have motion detecting nightlights all around my house. I have removed anything I could trip on, and I have no throw rugs that aren't well anchored to the floor. When getting up from bed, I always sit upright for a moment before standing, and this helps me to prevent falls due to orthostatic hypotension. My shower has multiple grab bars, a shower stool, and a non-slip floor. My shoes do not have slippery soles. Any time I hear of something that I think will help for fall prevention, I buy and use it.

I am not counting my chickens, but I have not fallen in several years since I started doing this. Trying to think of new ways to prevent falls is kind of a fun hobby, as well as adding to my health as I age.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We're eating better, exercising more and are way more careful about falling. But father time is still winning the race slowly but surely. It's a little depressing to note the things I can't do any more, but we're relatively healthy compared to our peers, so no complaints.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #10

A stat I read recently claimed that we can all expect to lose between 5-10lbs of lean muscle mass every decade after 50.

I started weight training (heavy weights) about a year ago, and I feel great, even though I still have only puny gains compared to what a young guy could have done in that timeframe. Still, I estimate I've put on about 5lbs of lean mass.

And it should be strengthening my bones, tendons, etc., so I'll both be more able to catch myself and avoid a fall, plus reduce my injuries if I do go splat. Any morning aches and stiffness are also long gone, and I like being able to lift heavy things. And seeing my triceps.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm one of the lucky ones with no cholesterol, blood pressure or diabetes problems at almost 78. I do have two hip implants and that has been a blessing. I am playing golf as well as I did over 20 years ago and still have great flexibility. The hips went bad from 20 years of long distance running. I'm surprised my knees are still original and good.

I have a touch of arthritis here and there, but nothing to stop me from doing whatever I want from a physical standpoint. I do walk a lot and my three year average is just under 9,000 steps per day.

My diet is not as careful as it could be but I do consume a lot of protein from eggs (daily) and protein drinks. I don't really watch my carbs that close but I am not one to eat a lot of high carb food. I am not attracted to sweets, but I can't pass by a chocolate bar.

Three years ago I tried to lower my carb intake and went on a self inflicted keto diet for a few months. I lost about 20 pounds in three months and really didn't feel all that better. I did have constipation on that low carb regiment. So what I have done is keep carbs to a minimum and exercise as much as I can. Overall, I feel great and I'll just keep doing what I am doing.

DW, on the other hand, is not as lucky as I am from the overall health standpoint and requires oxygen 100% of the time. Otherwise, her chemical issue is high cholesterol and she treats it with Lipitor. Funny, we eat the same foods and my cholesterol is normal and her's is very high.

What i recommend for seniors getting older is to try to stay as flexible as possible to promote good posture and be able to do the things you safely can do. I think regular walking is very good as are resistance exercises. What makes people old is their inability to move very well, and once that starts, it just gets worse.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
OK here is a really wild one. There is a huge amount of research on the gut biome and how it impacts our health. But I hadn’t run across anti-aging research until recently.

New poo, new you? Fecal transplants reverse signs of brain aging in mice
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021...ain-aging-mice

Hmmmm - I don’t know how I feel about that. Maybe something less drastic?

What is a fecal transplant? Well it’s used today to treat bad gastric infections such as C. difficile https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...cal-transplant
Interesting you should mention that, was just reading a fiction book (A series actually) on genetic engineering of C. difficile to start a global pandemic- Altered Genes: Genesis by Mark Kelly.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #13

I'm drinking more red wine. My dad who made it to 103 with no dementia always said he'd buried plenty who didn't drink wine at all. Of course, having an incurable autoimmune disease may not help matters but I did ask my doctor and he said go ahead in moderation.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Interesting you should mention that, was just reading a fiction book (A series actually) on genetic engineering of C. difficile to start a global pandemic- Altered Genes: Genesis by Mark Kelly.
OK that sounds truly terrifying!
Old 08-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
This is a place to share information as us young retirees and not so young anymore retirees try to maintain or even improve our health as we age.

I'm sure you recall the days before monetized cartels,I mean organized medicines inceptions in the 1920s/30s.
Do you recall GRK & RMN times thinking that "The body sometimes, supports & heals itself?"in the right enviroment an odd few centuries back.

Read or watch ("BAYER" asprins tale) on Utube online/www.
It cured everything!

Consider monetary incentives.
Thats all I'm contributing.

Now retire & age well audreyh.1 is now a retired audreyh.2? ..
of course!

Just kiddin!! I hope alls well.

Good luck & Best wishes......
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're eating better, exercising more and are way more careful about falling. But father time is still winning the race slowly but surely. It's a little depressing to note the things I can't do any more, but we're relatively healthy compared to our peers, so no complaints.
A lot of scientists are studying aging and age related diseases, so stay tuned! Many of them share health advice.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Yeah, funny how those locals can't speak their own language properly
Old 08-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I've been eating better and exercising a lot more. I'll find out if it's doing any good when I go for my annual Medicare Wellness Exam on Wednesday.

The doc shared a good piece of info at last year's exam. He said that there are many seniors who have a healthy lifestyle - exercising and eating right. But they tend to go downhill after a home accident. A fall, etc. He said that once a senior gets injured to the point that they can no longer exercise, then inactivity leads to health problems.

His advice - be extremely careful to avoid accidents.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm counting on my regular yoga practice to help with balance and injury avoidance.

Of course I'm careful when I'm exercising too not to injure myself!!!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

One thing to keep an eye on is bone density as you get older. DW's bone density went to hell after she was on a regiment of steroids for her COPD. She lost 4" in height in a year or so. Plus, she is pretty fragile. Now she is on Prolia injections to help with bone strength. Anywhere we go, she has a walker to keep her from an accidental fall.

I had my annual physical this summer and I had a chest x-ray taken since I haven't had one in quite a long time. My lungs were fine but the Doc who analyzed the x-ray sent me a note saying that there is evidence of degenerative disc disease in my thoracic spine, which is very common as people age (remember, I'm 77+). No real concern at this time as I am still pretty flexible and have no neck or back pain or other back related issues. But, I have lost about one inch in height during the last couple of years.

So the point is here that bone health is something to keep an eye on as you age. Bone density tests and x-rays are simple to get and can tell you a lot.