Join Early Retirement Today

The knee 4 years later
Old 04-28-2020, 03:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The knee 4 years later

The good news: to keep my sugar down and reap the seemingly endless benefits -I have religiously stuck to my 1 hour daily walks and gave up all alcohol (I did have a 3 carb corona premium with my spaghetti) , I do pay attention to portion size and of course no Oreos or the like. No surprise I’ve lost over 20 pounds. Yes I can see my feet and am swimming in my clothes. I switched to a new smaller belt but still I have to work at it to keep my smallest jeans on.

The bad news my left knee (the surgeon introduced me to it 4 years ago) now makes a squishy sound if I’m sitting and get up.
The right is a silent partner. There is no discomfort mind you and otherwise everything feels fine.

Is my knee like a rattle ridden old Toyota? Still good for another 100k?

The decision to get the new knees was a good one - about 3 years not thinking about them says it all.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Ray on the knee & lifestyle changes!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #3

All in all pretty good news.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. Good to hear.
Now if Cool Hand Luke gets out of hand, you can chase him down.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #5

The knee 4 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Congrats. Good to hear.
Now if Cool Hand Luke gets out of hand, you can chase him down.

Cool Hand is home and has a week of remote college left. Seeing his bizarre work ethic and hours are difficult for this old guy.

An example of an all too common conversation.
CH: “I spent 5 hours on my computer science home work last night.”
Mom: “maybe you shouldn’t wait to the last minute” @11PM-4AM

Me: (silently) Sweet Moses!
Old 04-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Cool Hand is home and has a week of remote college left. Seeing his bizarre work ethic and hours are difficult for this old guy.

I like hearing about Cool hand as I have two home due to Covid doing the same thing. They are cranking on work most of the night and sleep in late. I try to remind myself that they have been doing well in school anyway and this is their routine. Hopefully this situation is temporary as I too get frustrated at what I perceive is laziness even though it not.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Wow--its been 4 years already? I remember your posts about it.
Congratulations on all of your lifestyle changes, ray!
Maybe call your surgeon to check in on the "squishy sound" to see if it's normal or a problem?? Good thing there is no pain, though.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Wow--its been 4 years already? I remember your posts about it.
Congratulations on all of your lifestyle changes, ray!
Maybe call your surgeon to check in on the "squishy sound" to see if it's normal or a problem?? Good thing there is no pain, though.

I thought maybe one of the tribe might have a similar experience
Old 04-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If his grades are good, it's all good. He's just on a different shift than his parents.

Glad your knees are working, although "squishy" isn't the sound I'd want to hear from a metal part. Better than "creaky," I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on 4 years! I had my left knee replaced 21 months ago and fortunately, no noises coming from it. I fully expected to have the right knee replaced within a year after, but began having no problems with the knee after the left was replaced. So in no rush to do it again.

I have noticed how much "looser" the replaced knee feels the past 6-8 months. Not loose in a bad way, just I catch myself moving it it around when I am sitting. I'm guessing all the inflammation and trauma from surgery and rehab have subsided and that is what I am experiencing. Like you, I have stepped up the walking and lost some lbs....especially during this quarantine. Any excuse to get outdoors!

Good luck, and maybe check in with your surgeon after all this virus stuff slows down.
nap470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Glad your knees are working, although "squishy" isn't the sound I'd want to hear from a metal part. Better than "creaky," I guess.

The knee has a rubber like component which is no doubt responsible for the noise.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

rayinpenn, awesome story. Congrats.
yahh2725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My wife is coming up on the 2 year anniversary of her new knee. It was doing well until she decided to come upstairs in our new house--16 steps. The steps are hardwood and that bottom step looks like the floor. Both she and I have failed to make that last step twice and taken a fall. I try to count as I go down the steps.

Even Zena the Rottweiler has taken a fall down the steps. She slid down the steps and slid across the floor and about took out my grandfather clock with her head. We're going to a get carpet runner on the steps.

Her knee is grinding a little bit, and she's not doing nearly as well as prior to the falls. And it doesn't help that her pain management clinic is cutting back on pain meds to ridiculously low levels.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife is coming up on the 2 year anniversary of her new knee....
Her knee is grinding a little bit, and she's not doing nearly as well as prior to the falls.

I remember when I was in rehab for that first knee.. I went there on a winters day when the snow had melted the day before and froze overnight. The sidewalk was as slick as could be and I fell spectacularly. Arms flailing about -some screaming “Whoa...”
I landed squarely on my butt. Which by the way was still ample enough to break the fall... I must admit I now fear a fall always..