Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
He has a history of this. 50 years ago he was selling panty hose. No joke.
IIRC Namath wore panty hose during for warmth during at least a couple of games. I recall the conversations in my house distinctly. So that's how he ended up hawking panty hose. It was not random.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #42

All those actors plying sales on those commercials indicates to me that they are at the ends of their careers and Washed Up. I see them as panhandlers and a fragment of what they were. Why don't they just ride off into the sunset? Hint: Ego.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yay!!!!!!!!! They are gone!

Still got those damn CarShield Ads though
Old 12-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Our mute button is wonderful. We mute Joe Nameth every day. And we mute all of those prescription drug ads. No wonder US drug prices are so much higher than other countries.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps these elderly hucksters didn't LBYM, and can't afford to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
All those actors plying sales on those commercials indicates to me that they are at the ends of their careers and Washed Up. I see them as panhandlers and a fragment of what they were. Why don't they just ride off into the sunset? Hint: Ego.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
He has a history of this. 50 years ago he was selling panty hose. No joke.
Oh, right! I actually remember that!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=_BCWvH2ISyI

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
IIRC Namath wore panty hose during for warmth during at least a couple of games. I recall the conversations in my house distinctly. So that's how he ended up hawking panty hose. It was not random.
Interesting!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Now I notice Tom Selleck is back flogging AIG Reverse mortgages to broke unsuspecting old codgers, you just cannot win. Wasn't AIG the group that got the Bailout in 2009?
Old 12-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

If Joe is getting paid a $1 an episode he's accumulated a ton of money by now.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #49
gone traveling

Many medical facilities prefer medicare/medicaid .gov or long standing established BCBS type known guidelines then negotiating with newer varying medicareX insurance operations. The federal .gov has established guidelines, X insurance operations, I'm told vary widely.

Remember, the FEDs(FederalReserveBank),..is a quasi obtuse & exclusive private currency provider.
Fannie/Freddie?
Medicare rates are medical facilities monthly income streams.

Just my lame understanding,
Its Obtuse and not an "occums razor " set-up.

Good luck & Best wishes......
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Now I notice Tom Selleck is back flogging AIG Reverse mortgages to broke unsuspecting old codgers, you just cannot win. Wasn't AIG the group that got the Bailout in 2009?
Maybe they were, but Tom Selleck's ads are for AAG, not AIG - notice the middle initial is different.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Maybe they were, but Tom Selleck's ads are for AAG, not AIG - notice the middle initial is different.
Ah yes, I stand corrected. Still annoying.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Whenever I see a washed up has been actor or athlete hawking medicare advantage plans, reverse mortgages, or walk in tubs I always google their name with the word “alcoholic” after it. Like “Kelsey Grammer alcoholic”, “Joe Namath alchoholic”, Mike Ditka Alcoholic”. And you would be amazed at what turns up, and in what percentage. It’s not 100%, but it makes for some interesting reading. And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:43 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I haven’t seen any of these ads and didn’t even know that Joe Namath was still alive.

No cable TV, no broadcast TV, no streaming service that includes ads, no radio. No Medicare Advantage ads!!!
I do not watch TV, and this is the 1st time I hear the name Joe Namath.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:52 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post
And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”
They test these people out for credibility with the target audience- I know that because I get the occasional e-Rewards survey with questions on how credible various celebrities are for a certain product or service. Maybe the people who believe them remember them for roles they played on TV ("This is Dr. Frasier Crane. I'm listening") or their athletic accomplishments.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:58 AM   #55

Capitalism at work is a thing of beauty!! If it grinds on you, record your shows and fast forward through Joe Namath like I do.

Vw
Old 12-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whenever I see a washed up has been actor or athlete hawking medicare advantage plans, reverse mortgages, or walk in tubs I always google their name with the word “alcoholic” after it. Like “Kelsey Grammer alcoholic”, “Joe Namath alchoholic”, Mike Ditka Alcoholic”. And you would be amazed at what turns up, and in what percentage. It’s not 100%, but it makes for some interesting reading. And it begs the question, “why in the world would anyone take advice or suggestions from any of these people?”
Perhaps some of us believe in second chances?

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not watch TV, and this is the 1st time I hear the name Joe Namath.
Even I, who rarely watched football knew who he was. It must have been those pantyhose ads when I was a kid.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it is less about ego and more about easy money.

I remember seeing a reality show where a ballplayer was paid $20,000 to show up at an event for 10 minutes to brush his teeth as a "live" advertisement for a toothpaste. In addition a limo was provided to pick him up and drop him off, he lived about 30 minutes away.

You should watch some international TV overseas, you'd be surprised at the amount of actors of all ages doing commercials for all sorts of things. It is easy money.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A famous Hollywood agent said this famous quote: "There is no such thing as bad publicity". As long as enough of the public seems their fame in a positive light, there is little in there personal lives that would dissuade them. Murder, child molestation, or rape - crimes which harm others - are the only thing. But "personal demon" types of issues do not impact their popularity. In fact, it can enhance it, as they can be viewed as someone overcoming or trying to overcome the issue.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC319 View Post
I too am sick of Joe Namath and Medicare ads. Jeesh--do we need a Medicare ad every 15 minutes for the last 45? ish days. grrr
It could be worse. Think about the poor folks in Georgia...they have been enduring non-stop political ads FOR MONTHS ON END!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Apparently not if you live in rural or semi-rural areas. Our county (population 40,000) is losing its last available plan at the end of this year. There were about a dozen plans available here a decade ago, so I hear.
I have family that lives in Alaska and there is no such thing as a Medicare Advantage plan in the ENTIRE state.

Quote:
I don't know...look at Tom Selleck; "Blue Bloods"...it's in the 11th season (and ranked #7 in the rankings...so probably not going away anytime soon) and is syndicated. And I see re-runs of the original Magnum PI fairly often, so I have a hard time thinking that he's suffering financially.