Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Consider a heart rate monitor. You can get a good Omron for $35. You can set an upper and lower limit so you don't work yourself too hard........
I have been pausing to count my rate (beats for 6 sec times 10) and checking it with the machines themselves. Are they accurate? So far it seems like we are close.

I can see where it would be convienient to have a personal monitor though.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Okay, back on track and I slowed down as recommended. All went way better and I still met my cardio level requirements.

Question: It took me what seemed like forever to get my cardio level up to where they said I needed to be before my workout time really started. I never did get there on the "recumbent" (?) bike.

What is the quickest way to get up to that 120/130 level? My legs tired way before my heart rate climbed on everything but the treadmill.

Does anyone have a routine they care to share?
I found that the recumbent doesn't do it for me either. The eliptical machine is a good choice and easier on the joints than the treadmill.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I found that the recumbent doesn't do it for me either. The eliptical machine is a good choice and easier on the joints than the treadmill.
Same here. Recumbent is nice if you want to read while exercising. Elliptical machine gets the cardo up quickly. I personally get dizzy on a treadmill.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh gosh. Elliptical workouts are so hard for me, though it does good things for me so I know it is just what I need. I really admire people who can do long workouts on an elliptical. I guess know I am really out of shape because my heart rate increases on a recumbent bike.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I start thinking about joining a fitness club, I quickly take one of my meds.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you thought about doing interval training on the treadmill to get into the zone quicker? When I first started my workouts I couldn't run very far. What I did was download one of those couch to 5k training programs. By following that, within 5 weeks I could run for 30 minutes. I also second getting a heart rate monitor.

Also you may feel like your trainer was trying to kill you, but more than likely you body was going thru some kind of shock at actually being challenged. My first day with my trainer I felt like puking - not because what she was asking me to do was outrageous, but because she was challenging my body in a way that I had never done. I think you have to recognise why you hired the trainer. For me it was because I know if I work out on my own I cruise so I know I want them to push me, not just tell my they like my outfit.

As to working out every day, I do 3 days a week with my trainer doing weights, and try and do cardio every day. Remember doing cardio does not mean you have to flog yourself, given your situation I would have days where you do a gentle stroll at about 3.5 on the treadmill just to keep the legs turning over.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you are right DangerMouse, there is no doubt that my body was shocked at my unmitigated audacity. The sheer madness after sitting at my desk for so long!!!

I am encouraged with the fact that you sound like you are well into your fitness program yet can still remember what day one was like! Either it means it wasn’t THAT long ago and I have hope or I have lived through the day of he!! one can never forget!

Thanks for the suggestions; I realize I have a lot to learn!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know how you feel.....my trainer is probably related to mine!
I do a lot more weight training than cardio and it kicks my ass every session.
Don't forget to stretch and drink lots of water.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I second Citrine's comment about drinking water. Sometimes, when I get tired during a workout, it's not hunger or fatigue--it's thirst, and a good drink of water fixes it.

A physical therapist taught me an amazing hamstring/quad stretch, good for making you lighter on your feet and less achy after exercise: Air Bench. Stand straight with your back and neck against the wall. Slide down the wall till your butt, back, and neck are still against the wall, your feet are flat on the floor in front of you (and you can't see them), your knees are bent, your shins form right angles with the floor, and your thighs parallel to the floor. You have become a human "bench."

Hold that position for 5 seconds by clenching hamstrings, glutes, and quads. (I collapsed after 4 seconds the first time). Build to 60 seconds (which took me weeks to do). You only need to do this once or twice a day.

For those who can tolerate trainers, I think it's a good service. I can't have someone telling me what to do and how many times to do it
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only started with a PT in October, and I have to say I really felt so ill that first day. The first two weeks were difficult but after that those feelings of illness disappeared. I never do any cardio work with my trainer I do that in my own time as I figure I don't need to pay someone to watch me run on the treadmill. All my time with the trainer is weights only. I go 3 times a week, have a different program each day and work out with 2 different trainers. My programs are changed every 3 weeks as they believe your body gets used to a sequence so they need to switch it up to make your body work in different ways.

For me there is a lot of value in the trainer. Before starting with the PT I was going to the Y and using machines. However, for me the progress has come with the constant change in program and the sequence they use. I might do lunges holding 10lb weights, followed by tricep pull downs then I will do a minute of jumping jacks with a band around my ankles to get the heart rate up. I never pushed myself in this way on my own, it was do the machine then a leisurely stroll to the next machine. I sweat like a pig with my trainer.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I joined a gym(24 hr fitness) a month ago - I was feeling pretty crappy almost every day and knew I needed more excersise. I have been going 4-5 times a week and have been increasing my workout level gradually....I feel so much better already!
This is going to be a long term project - it is really great to be going in the right direction concerning my overall health and condition. My body is bouncing back pretty quick. Yes all the machines are amazing! I try and add one every time I go

I love the steam room after the workout -
You leave the gym feeling so good - endorphins are a good thing -