Join Early Retirement Today

Three heartburn drugs recalled
Old 01-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three heartburn drugs recalled

I think some folks here may be taking these heartburn drugs....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...gen-fears.html

omni

omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

My husband has bad heartburn because his valve doesn’t completely close. He switched to baking soda water years ago.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

From the article, it seems like you'd have to keep your Zantac (ranitidine) at very high temperatures for some period of time before worrying about it becoming (slightly?) carcinogenic. If I were taking one of these drugs, I would just make sure I was storing them consistently at room temperature or below.

Here's a quote talking about how hot Zantac would need to get before the amount of the carcinogen in question (NDMA) becomes worrisome.

Quote:
While its NDMA content met safety standards (below 96 nanograms) at room temperature, once heated to 158 degrees F, NDMA levels rose to 142 nanograms.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
From the article, it seems like you'd have to keep your Zantac (ranitidine) at very high temperatures for some period of time before worrying about it becoming (slightly?) carcinogenic. If I were taking one of these drugs, I would just make sure I was storing them consistently at room temperature or below.
Agree.

Interior car temperatures when sitting in the sun can easily reach 150 F in an hour on a hot day in Florida.

Leaving this stuff in a gym bag stored in the car or just in a console/glove box might cause it to yield an unintended result.

Safe storage is key.

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Agree.

Interior car temperatures when sitting in the sun can easily reach 150 F in an hour on a hot day in Florida.

Leaving this stuff in a gym bag stored in the car or just in a console/glove box might cause it to yield an unintended result.

Safe storage is key.

omni
I'd also wonder about temperature-controlled storage while it was being transported to warehouses or the retail stores. I see a lot of trains and trucks baking in the summer heat.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

how does bs work?and how much and how often does he take it?>
farky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

I take clopidogrel (Plavix) so I can't use proton pump inhibitors. My next reflux med of choice was ranitidine (Zantac). My local Rite Aid didn't have it; Amazon doesn't seem to have it (search failed). So, faced with few good alternatives I ordered the generic of Pepcid, Famotidine, last night. It's so confusing. The FDA and drug interaction sites say that "...omeprazole reduces the effectiveness of clopidogrel." My doctor switched me from Brilinta to Plavix without telling me about this. I ran into the information by accident when I was looking into something else. So I quit taking omeprazole for now. I wish they would continue to make ranitidine available to people over 70 who probably won't have time to get cancer from it.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #8

My husband uses 3 tablespoons in a big soda bottle and mixes it with water. He just drinks a little when he is having heartburn. Don’t do this if you have HBP.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

I've been taking generic Prevacid (PPI) for about 5 years, one pill every other day, so only half the minimum dosage. It was working well, but I decide to go cold turkey 2 weeks ago, when a retired nurse I know was horrified to hear I had been on a PPI for so long, even at half dosage. SO far so good. Some coughing now and then, worse at night when lying down. But no major discomfort. Have to take about 5 calcium antacid pills per day, to quell the occasional acid attack on my esophagus. Have to use a big pillow to prop myself up at night sometimes when trying to sleep, otherwise lots of coughing.

John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote