Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Instead, they're going down a major roadway on a scooter with the blind, crippled dog leading the way.
Makes as much sense as the young guy I often see in the park, on his rollerblades holding the leash as his dog pulls him along.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walking 4 mph is fast. About as fast as is reasonably possible unless your some kind of specialized speed walker. 3-4 mph is more reasonable I think. And for the elderly, such as my dad at age 86, walking period is good. He gets out and walks a 1 to 1.5 miles rather slowly. But he’s doing it. Rather than calling that a harbinger of death, I’d call that pretty darn good.

I think his conclusions are mostly hogwash.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My grandma was severely obese and the doctor told her she would never see 50. She could always walk. She died at 77 from cancer.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:35 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Walking 4 mph is fast. About as fast as is reasonably possible unless your some kind of specialized speed walker. 3-4 mph is more reasonable I think. And for the elderly, such as my dad at age 86, walking period is good. He gets out and walks a 1 to 1.5 miles rather slowly. But he’s doing it. Rather than calling that a harbinger of death, I’d call that pretty darn good.

I think his conclusions are mostly hogwash.
Even at my fittest I couldn’t sustain 4mph. Simple - I’m short.

Good for your Dad! My Dad would do that if he could.

I suspect that the doc wasn’t speaking to the very elderly with his harbinger of death remark. And I expect most folks who make it to eighty don’t expect to live much longer anyway.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #45

Yes the MPH for walking is designed for a 5'10" male (as most "averages" are in medical recommendations). 4mph is downright speedwalking on my 5'3" body!

3.5 feels like a nice brisk walking pace for me. 4.5 is my usually jogging pace.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #46
Administrator

Does anyone have a link that shows how the 4 mph walking speed objective was developed or what makes that speed optimal, at least for a long legged male?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #47
gone traveling

I warm up on the treadmill at the gym on a 10 and 20 degree incline at 3.5 MPH; bumping up faster from there might diminish my other exercises. Anyhow, when DW and I walk together around our neighborhood, it is definitely less than 3.5 MPH.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Not everyone riding those scooters is unable to walk. At Disney, we watched healthy-looking people ride scooters to the front of the auditorium for "Lion King" and other shows, while we walkers had to take the lesser seats. Then the "disabled" scooter riders would zoom out of the auditorium (with walkers getting out of their way), and when we caught up, we found them nimbly hopping off their transport to buy a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbraemer View Post
Yes, the "Scooter" craze is interesting to me too. We see the battery powered crowd everywhere, including big box stores, theme parks and public outings (art fairs, concerts, etc.). Most are not very elderly folks, most are indeed overweight. I don't know if the majority of these folks actually need the mobility assistance, or are simply too lazy to get up and walk. If they do need it, it is a blessing for them. If not, it seems to be a downward spiral scooter in terms of their health.

Of course, there seems also to be a similar situation with handicapped parking stickers in my opinion, as well. Drive right to the front of the mall parking lot using the sticker/mirror hanger, then waddle or scooter out to the food court in your favorite mall.

I imagine many of these people could do themselves a favor by practicing some regular walking (at 3 mph ) on a fairly regular basis.

Which comes first, the scooter or the bad legs?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

No link, just my observation, but a 4mph walk for most people gets you out of the comfort zone and gets your heart going a bit. 3mph tends to be more of a stroll and doesn't do too much. Of course if you aren't very fit, 3mph may be a good starting point. One shouldn't jump right into 4mph if it's going to spike your heart rate. If you aren't at all sure, getting a heart rate monitor and learning the range you should shoot for is worth while. I would expect that most health studies would be based on HR, not speed. I have other guidelines that I use for running and I don't use a heart rate monitor so I don't recall the right heart rate range for walking or running.

I have no advice on how fast a much older person in typical health should walk, as I don't know how much you should still try to get your heart rate up. Of course it's going to vary.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I cannot maintain 2 mph hiking up Mt. Sterling in the GSMNP.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not everyone riding those scooters is unable to walk. At Disney, we watched healthy-looking people ride scooters to the front of the auditorium for "Lion King" and other shows, while we walkers had to take the lesser seats. Then the "disabled" scooter riders would zoom out of the auditorium (with walkers getting out of their way), and when we caught up, we found them nimbly hopping off their transport to buy a drink.
I try to give benefit of the doubt, like when I see a person hop out of their car in a handicap spot and walk with no problem into a store. They might have a heart condition or something else that limits the amount they can or should walk. Or maybe suffer a lot of pain if they do too much.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
I cannot maintain 2 mph hiking up Mt. Sterling in the GSMNP.
All bets are off when it comes to hills. I've had some 25 minute miles in the middle of a trail race when they went straight up a mountain. Again, that's why heart rate is a better guide, since even walking on sidewalks there's a different between flat and rolling hills.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How many obese people make it past 80? I don’t think very many.

My dad slowed down for various reasons, but he has been underweight, not overweight, before and after slowing down, and it probably more so in spite of reduced mobility. He never used any scooter either. Only a few years ago he started using a cane regularly, and now a walker. He’s almost 90. Things don’t work so good unsurprisingly.
My Dad is approaching the age of 91 and has stage 4 COPD. His breathing is absolutely atrocious and he can't get more than about 15 feet without having to stop and rest. Nonetheless, he refuses to use a wheel chair or walker...he ambulates with ZERO assistance. When we go to the doctors (which is very often these days), he will walk the entire distance. It takes a little while, but he does it. I think he has it in his mind that when he starts using a wheelchair, then the end will be in sight.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
heart rate is a better guide, since even walking on sidewalks there's a different between flat and rolling hills.
I agree with this. The advice about walking speed is just a simple way of saying you should get your heart rate elevated in order to call it exercise. Most people are not going to bother wearing a heart monitor, but they can easily time their speed for a mile.

But we're all different. I'm 5'10" and my normal walking speed is about 3.3 mph (18 minutes per mile). But DW is 5'6" and her normal walking speed is a bit faster at 3.4 mph. When she walks a half marathon, her goal is 4 mph (15 min/mile). Still at the back of the pack, but she gets a lot of good out of it.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW (56) and I (62) walk 10,000 steps in our local mall most days. We have a routine path around and cross inside the mall so we don't bump into shoppers too often. When weather is nice, we walk around the neighborhood.

I just checked my iphone app and our speed is about 3mh and that is not slow. Anything faster, DW would complain about her knee pain. So, I think walking 4mh would require a much healthier body and in an open and flat space.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes, it's not about "oh, those able-bodied people pretending to be disabled." It's more that people get out of scooters' way. So why not rent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I try to give benefit of the doubt, like when I see a person hop out of their car in a handicap spot and walk with no problem into a store. They might have a heart condition or something else that limits the amount they can or should walk. Or maybe suffer a lot of pain if they do too much.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh yes, it's not about "oh, those able-bodied people pretending to be disabled." It's more that people get out of scooters' way. So why not rent one.
Besides that, I believe that's one way to get to the head of lines at Disney. Wheel chairs certainly are; a few years ago Disney had to put a stop to the practice of parties "renting" an unrelated person with a legitimate need for a wheel chair so they could pretend to be together and skip the lines.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Besides that, I believe that's one way to get to the head of lines at Disney. Wheel chairs certainly are; a few years ago Disney had to put a stop to the practice of parties "renting" an unrelated person with a legitimate need for a wheel chair so they could pretend to be together and skip the lines.
Was just there 2 weeks ago. They definitely don't allow scooters to skip lines. I saw some going through lines with everyone else, and some parked with the strollers.

Not as sure about wheelchairs. I do remember a guy in a wheelchair in line at Universal, and really struggling to get into a log flume ride, but he made it and seemed to have fun. He very obviously needed the chair.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Scooters don't skip lines, but they get spaces at the front in amptheaters, as I said earlier. Just like wheelchairs. Plus, people get out of a scooter couple's way.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
My Dad is approaching the age of 91 and has stage 4 COPD. His breathing is absolutely atrocious and he can't get more than about 15 feet without having to stop and rest. Nonetheless, he refuses to use a wheel chair or walker...he ambulates with ZERO assistance. When we go to the doctors (which is very often these days), he will walk the entire distance. It takes a little while, but he does it. I think he has it in his mind that when he starts using a wheelchair, then the end will be in sight.
We brought my dad to the doctor one day he always wanted to walk no matter how bad he felt. After a visit with the doctor he said he wanted a wheelchair, ten days later he was dead. The doctor had given him bad news he gave up that day, so wanted a wheel chair which he had never used in the past.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote