Toothache treatment

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm not sure I could even post to a thread as old as the one I'm quoting from and I figured a new thread is appropriate anyway.

I have had several root canals. Some hurt like the devil, others were relatively pain-free procedures. I have never understood why.

I read about a year ago on a dentist's or endodontist's website that pain from a root canal is caused by missing some of the nerves when attempting to numb them. You have to inject each one and sometimes even after multiple tries you can miss one.

I have a problem with a tooth now and will probably be getting a root canal on it... I have been waiting for 4 months for the nerve to heal itself... I think it never will...

This almost answers a question I had. I was wondering what if you try to self treat a tooth ache by flossing, brushing, and using mouthwash after every meal (I've been doing this with Listerine Ultraclean antiseptic mouthwash after breakfast and dinner, which "kills 99.9% of germs," and Colgate Total Gum Health after lunch, which is antigingivitis, antiplaque, and nonalcoholic, because I read that using an alcoholic mouthwash three times a day could cause cancer).

My toothache is mostly gone now, and I tapered off to using each mouthwash just once a day. I was worried that the fluoride from the toothpaste would be washed away if I used mouthwash after every brushing, so now my teeth get a break from the mouthwash after lunch.

It sounds like this is a middle ground that people don't even do but I think it worked. It seems like a good thing to try before resorting to antibiotics or a root canal.

I also switched from dry roasted peanuts to cocktail peanuts to help prevent my teeth from sticking together. And I just make a slight effort to chew somewhat more on the good side of my mouth.

I've been unable to find something convincing that says dentists could accurately diagnose a need for a root canal in a large percentage of cases. I think moderate pain/inflammation for 2-3 weeks isn't likely to cause a next-level problem and the self-treatment described above is reasonable, and if there's significant improvement after 3 weeks, keep it up.

I never took a chance with my teeth. I think it’s a bad idea.

Logician, heal thyself

Toothaches can have a wide variety of causes. You may find relief from something as simple as changing brands of toothpastes.

But if the main cause is related to decay or infection or malocclusion, etc, the longer you wait the worse it will get. Ask a dentist; they don't spend years in dental school just practicing golf.

I dont screw around with teeth, heart probs, or electricity.

This almost answers a question I had. I was wondering what if you try to self treat a tooth ache by flossing, brushing, and using mouthwash after every meal (I've been doing this with Listerine Ultraclean antiseptic mouthwash after breakfast and dinner, which "kills 99.9% of germs," and Colgate Total Gum Health after lunch, which is antigingivitis, antiplaque, and nonalcoholic, because I read that using an alcoholic mouthwash three times a day could cause cancer).

Yes!

Maybe once a year I'll have some pain or get a toothache. (Alcohol-based) Mouthwash once or twice a day for a few days does the trick for me.

... because I read that using an alcoholic mouthwash three times a day could cause cancer).

From what I've quickly searched through, there's no conclusive evidence of that. There's an interview on NPR with a surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and he says he doesn't believe there's any benefit of alcohol-based mouthwash compared to non-alcoholic. If that's the case, then I wonder why the manufacturers would opt for selling alcohol-based rather than going non-alcoholic? I just checked my bottle and it says it's 21.6% alcohol, but the alcohol is a non-active ingredient. So, being I'm at the bottom of the bottle, I guess the next bottle will be non-alcoholic.

Anyhow - don't rush to the dentist. If you go, he/she will definitely tell you that you require something to be done immediately. Go with your plan for a week or two. If the issue persists, then consider the dentist. Whatever the issue may be, a week or two is not going to make a difference.

Cocaine.

Now for the rest of the story:

Around 15 years ago in Baltimore two Light Rail cars 60 tons of weight each, went through the safety bumpers at BWI airport. Later estimated speed was around 35 MPH. The permitted approach speed to the stop was 5 MPH. They stopped inside the terminal a few feet short of the baggage carousel. Minor injuries on board were reported.
The train's driver was hauled away for drug test immediately. Cocaine was found in his sytem.
His explanation; I was using it for my toothache.

BTW, I believe my toothache was caused by eating grapes which sometimes causes soreness in part of my mouth (as do those dried pepper flakes in the shakers at pizzerias). I was even being careful to wash out my mouth well after eating them but the next day the gums around my left wisdom tooth to become very sore. I forgot how long it took before it was healed, maybe two weeks, then when I thought I was good, the neighboring tooth started aching. Bacteria probably entered through my sore gums.

The last time I was at the dentist was 1989, when Lucy died. I remember the magazines about it in the waiting room.

Maybe once a year I'll have some pain or get a toothache.

Yeah, it's happened a few times and it always goes away within days. I pay extra attention to my teeth when it happens.

Last edited:
Cocaine.

Now for the rest of the story:

Around 15 years ago in Baltimore two Light Rail cars 60 tons of weight each, went through the safety bumpers at BWI airport. Later estimated speed was around 35 MPH. The permitted approach speed to the stop was 5 MPH. They stopped inside the terminal a few feet short of the baggage carousel. Minor injuries on board were reported.
The train's driver was hauled away for drug test immediately. Cocaine was found in his sytem.
His explanation; I was using it for my toothache.
Cocaine was used in dental procedures dating back to 1884. I believe it was still used in the 1970s but the net seems void of the ending date. I do recall tales of a local dentist who ended up in prison for mishandling it. I did find a reference to it still being used "in some areas for certain ENT procedures".

Last edited:
Cocaine was used in dental procedures dating back to 1884. I believe it was still used in the 1970s but the net seems void of the ending date. I do recall tales of a local dentist who ended up in prison for mishandling it. I did find a reference to it still being used "in some areas for certain ENT procedures".
Correct. It is used in sinus surgeries.

If it were legal, I'd seriously consider cocaine to slightly shrink the turbinate in my right nostril. I think conventional turbinate reduction surgery got better and they don't pack your nose any more, which was extremely uncomfortable for people, and I read about a patient who went back to ask for some kind of sedative and she was given one but patients weren't told they could get one after surgery so you had to figure it out for yourself and ask! But topical cocaine sounds safer/easier. I think President Truman got that treatment.

I also read about a guy who lost his breathing reflex during turbinate reduction surgery and kept being reminded by the doctor to breath. He said it was like torture, though it worked and he wanted it done on his other nostril.

Last edited:
Just as a warning, I know (knew) two people who died from heart attacks that their doctors said were directly related to untreated dental infection issues.

Toothache. Not a dentist. But have had 13-15 root canals. The dentist/endodontic, have procedures to test for nerve going bad. ie. tapping, heat, cold, etc.

Nerve pain is really bad. After root canal treatment is started, pain is gone. You may have slight pain, but usually ibuprofen is good enough.

Note: If you wait the pain out, Why? The nerve pain may go away. HOWEVER, the nerve is dead. And you still need a root canal.

If you do not remove the "dead" root, it will decay, and you will have worse consequences later.

I'm sure we have some dentists on this site, who can explain more precisely.

retired dentist here. an x-ray and exam can usually determine the cause of pain. If you have a large area of decay and/or infection I would not recommend waiting to see if it goes away. it won't. you may be looking for a dentist on a saturday or sunday. ( for some reason that's when they usually flare up). if it only causes pain when you drink something cold you may just have some hypersensitivity which can be easily and cheaply treated. where i teach, we treat it for free. did I read correctly that you haven't seen a dentist since 1987? It might be time.

Just as a warning, I know (knew) two people who died from heart attacks that their doctors said were directly related to untreated dental infection issues.
So they told you that's their doctor said?

BTW, I believe my toothache was caused by eating grapes which sometimes causes soreness in part of my mouth (as do those dried pepper flakes in the shakers at pizzerias). I was even being careful to wash out my mouth well after eating them but the next day the gums around my left wisdom tooth to become very sore. I forgot how long it took before it was healed, maybe two weeks, then when I thought I was good, the neighboring tooth started aching. Bacteria probably entered through my sore gums.

The last time I was at the dentist was 1989, when Lucy died. I remember the magazines about it in the waiting room.

Yeah, it's happened a few times and it always goes away within days. I pay extra attention to my teeth when it happens.

So, if I understand you correctly, you have not had a professional dental exam in 30 years, and you are self-diagnosing your pain as coming from eating grapes?
Is that correct?

retired dentist here. an x-ray and exam can usually determine the cause of pain. did I read correctly that you haven't seen a dentist since 1987? It might be time.

Nah, 1989.[emoji41]

So, if I understand you correctly, you have not had a professional dental exam in 30 years, and you are self-diagnosing your pain as coming from eating grapes?
Is that correct?

Yes (1989). And my teeth aren't white enough and I blame the foods the experts have found to be healthy over the last 30 years. Every one of them discolors or rots teeth. (coffee, tea, grape juice, deeply pigmented produce in general, garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, etc.)

Grape juice is the only one I stopped because of the sugar content, and I just stopped grapes all together.

edit: I still eat raisins

Last edited:
At the first sign of tooth ache I go to the dentist for a professional appraisal.

I spend as much dough as needed (root canal, crown, pull) as needed to make it go away.

I just went through an ordeal with my teeth two weeks ago. I developed a serious abscess at the root of a tooth that had a root canal years ago. Went to the dentist without delay. The pain was horrible. Prescribed antibiotics and after the swelling began to subside the dentist x-rayed and found that one root had not been cleaned out and had decayed over the years causing the abscess. Had to go through another root canal and the 2 days following that had the worst pain imaginable. I normally sail through root canals without any real pain. I am glad I went to the dentist. All is well now. Don't mess around with your teeth.

At the first sign of tooth ache I go to the dentist for a professional appraisal.

I spend as much dough as needed (root canal, crown, pull) as needed to make it go away.

Yeah, wife did this back in the day. Until the one time when the dentist had hit her for a total of roughly $25,000 in procedures over the course of about 18 months, I told her it was enough and she wouldn't be going to that dentist ever again.

Yes (1989). And my teeth aren't white enough and I blame the foods the experts have found to be healthy over the last 30 years. Every one of them discolors or rots teeth. (coffee, tea, grape juice, deeply pigmented produce in general, garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, etc.)

Grape juice is the only one I stopped because of the sugar content, and I just stopped grapes all together.

edit: I still eat raisins

You are confusing whiteness of teeth with health. Coffee will discolor teeth, however, unless you are sweetening it with sugar, by itself coffee will not cause teeth to "rot". Neither will garlic, cayenne pepper, or tumeric. In order for teeth to decay you need something for the decay causing bacteria to digest. Typically that's some sort of sugar, or other carbohydrate, the more refined the better (for the bacteria, not for you).

And that just covers the disease of the hard tooth structure (medically that disease is called "dental caries", but you can call it "rot" because we understand what you are talking about), but there is also the threat of infection, and pain, and tooth loss as the result of a very common disease of the supporting structures, i.e. gum, ligament and bone responsible for holding the teeth in the mouth.
Typically this can progress for decades without any painful symptoms. By the time this disease has progressed to pain and swelling of the gums, it is typically much more difficult, complicated, expensive and prone to poor outcomes than if identified and dealt with early, which is the big advantage of seeing a dental professional on a regular basis, in the absence of pain.

Best of luck to you.

Just last week, I had a toothache, not too painful but I really felt that something was wrong. I saw my regular dentist, and from an X-ray, he said it's something called 'resorption' on the root of one tooth, and he referred me to an endodontist. Endodontist did some 3D X-rays, showed me exactly what the problem is and scheduled me for a root canal.

Luckily, the day after seeing my regular dentist, the pain disappeared completely and I had no indication that anything was wrong. But I'm lucky that the pain went away after seeing the dentist because if it had gone away one day sooner, I might not have seen the dentist, but the underlying problem would still be there. From what I've read about tooth resorption, if I didn't get this treated, I'd most likely need to have that tooth pulled eventually.

Wait you haven't been to the dentist in 30 years? Not even for a cleaning:confused:

Back
Top Bottom