Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Crewer, when is the trip? If he is willing I would definitely try the 3 weekly injections of Euflexxa before the trip. DH had his injections this past month. Before injections he was having trouble walking. After injections he can walk fine and last weekend we did alot of dancing and he had no pain. The Euflexxa is expensive but Medicare and most insurance pays for it every 6 months. They numb DH's knee before the shot with a spray and he says he does not even feel the shot.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not sure how noticeable this is but apparently when your knee joints wear out the leg geometry changes too. (I think you tend to get bowlegged but that could be an oversimplification). When they replace the joint they restore the leg to the proper geometry. DW had collateral leg soreness after the surgery and the doctor explained that it was the muscles and tendons adjusting to the corrected geometry. I know my BIL has gotten very bowlegged as both his knees wore out but he's waited so long that surgery is apparently not an option for him anymore because of other health concerns.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

We discovered early last year my wife had what they called advanced arthritis in one knee and now we have confirmed it in on other knee. The first was discovered when she had surgery for the meniscus and the doctor came out after the surgery and said that the meniscus is minor, the severe problem is the arthritis. My wife is 44 and we plan on traveling and walking a lot when we do retire. She is now bone on bone on one knee for sure, and the other one they still have some stuff to check out apparently. She gets the shots but they only help for a few weeks. Custom fitted braces for both knees. They said after she follows the treatment plan this year she could get both knees replaced next year if she decided to. She is active duty Navy, the doctor claimed some people do continue service after knee replacement which I find difficult to believe. He said he has never seen it so bad for someone this young and generally they prefer to wait as long as possible. She wants to put it off as long as possible. But bone on bone just doesn't sound very good to me.
king smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

My wife had serious skeletal problems at age 28 and was told to go on disability then by doctors. Her left arm ceased to move. After a couple of surgeries, she divorced an abusive husband, got retrained by the state and worked another 20 years in hospital laboratory management.

Spinal stenosis caused her leg to go out from under her, and started.falling down steps. Then she had to fight Social Security 2 years to get in disability.

The only thing we can attribute some reoccurring arthritic and skeletal problems is to some unknown syndrome. The genes gotten from parents just don't line up.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by king smoothie View Post
We discovered early last year my wife had what they called advanced arthritis in one knee and now we have confirmed it in on other knee. The first was discovered when she had surgery for the meniscus and the doctor came out after the surgery and said that the meniscus is minor, the severe problem is the arthritis. My wife is 44 and we plan on traveling and walking a lot when we do retire. She is now bone on bone on one knee for sure, and the other one they still have some stuff to check out apparently. She gets the shots but they only help for a few weeks. Custom fitted braces for both knees. They said after she follows the treatment plan this year she could get both knees replaced next year if she decided to. She is active duty Navy, the doctor claimed some people do continue service after knee replacement which I find difficult to believe. He said he has never seen it so bad for someone this young and generally they prefer to wait as long as possible. She wants to put it off as long as possible. But bone on bone just doesn't sound very good to me.
King, when you say "she gets the shots", what type of shots are you referring to? If it is just cortisone, I would agree, these only last a short period of time for DH. If she has just been getting cortisone, i suggest she try one of the lubricant shots like Euflexxa instead . DH has bad knee arthritis. He gets Euflexxa every six months (series of 3 shots in each knee, one per week for 3 weeks) and it is like a miracle for him.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 AM   #26

Quote:
We discovered early last year my wife had what they called advanced arthritis in one knee and now we have confirmed it in on other knee...
I am really sorry to hear about your wife - bone on bone at 44 is really tuff. Although the doctors don’t like to do a replacement that young here’s the problem..

When it gets bad your wife start avoid movement.. and movement as we know burns calories. I was so bad people would come over to my desk so I wouldn’t have to gimp over -> Snowball Weight Gain. Weight is the enemy of knees.

Having an ache all the time wears you down and that sunny disposition will have to fight hard to shine through. I’m no tuff guy I found myself constantly rubbing the affending knee.

I wouldnt go 20, 10 or even 5 years. I vividly remember that first knee. I had just gone through a round of injections and I could barely walk the hallway to my doctors offices... He said “I guess you are ready”. The waiting period was about a month...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 AM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

TKA is a great option when all conservative options are exhausted. STEM cells and PRP are unproven treatment options with no scientific backing. There is no coverage by insurance companies because of lack of data and unfortunately no standard of where the stems cells are collected from. Remember stem cells only come from embryonic tissue and we have no method to turn the cells on and off.Regenerative medicine is a huge money maker for physicians.When time to proceed look into robotic replacement.
Mark4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I had meniscus surgery 2 times in 2011 and 2013. After that I experienced pain and stiffness. I got Synvisc and Euflexxa shots which helped greatly every year. My last shots were in 2015, and have been fine without them since. I attribute this to taking Vitamin D-3 every day, which has helped me a lot.

I wasn't bone on bone, but had tears and arthritis under the knee cap.

If your bone on bone, the surgery is worth doing.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

DH has an appointment for early July. I assume he'll progress to injections but he'll follow doc's protocol as to when. He already takes Vit. D. We have trips scheduled to Italy in Sept., Utah national parks in October (sure hope there isn't a gov't shutdown!!), Portugal and Spain in Nov, and Australia and NZ in Feb. He's still walking just slower and not as far. I can deal with it but the mismatch between us causes some frustration for me - I did a half marathon a few days ago.

Thanks for all the useful info!
Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
he wants to put it off as long as possible. But bone on bone just doesn't sound very good to me.

FWIW, I have been bone on bone in one knee for over 40 years. It is only in the last few years that it has started to become a significant limiting factor in my life.

I should add that in my hope to put off replacement a few more years (after all, the materials and the techniques only get better, right?) I have decided to try and lose another 10 pounds and am bicycling at least 4 days a week for at least 45 minutes. My understanding is that a pound on the waste adds five pounds of pressure to the knee joints, and cycling encourages the knees to produce more lubricating synovial fluid. It's also good cardio and a heck of a lot more fun than stationary cycling in a gym.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I had a meniscus repair done last July. Never had knee problems (I'm 74 years old). It was my fault how I tore both meniscus's in my right knee. Stupid stuff.

Six (6) months later, getting knee pain on the inside area of the knee (toward my groin). Doc took X-rays and said he didn't see a "real problem" and gave me a knee shot of some steroid. It took about two weeks to be effective, but it feels fine now. The knee is "loose" feeling and clicks a lot.

This thread has me concerned about the knee.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She wants to put it off as long as possible. But bone on bone just doesn't sound very good to me.
Bone on bone has a very dramatic sound, but people have run marathons with bone on bone knees or hips. I have read that there is often little correlation between felt pain and disability, and the x-ray.

I had post traumatic arthritis in a hip for many years. I finally got an x- ray when the ball collapsed and my leg got shorter. At this point I also had begun to experience meaningful pain. I rapidly went to cane to crutches to scheduling surgery. Doc told me that he had rarely seen a more screwed looking hip. A friend had what she experienced as severe hip pain, and on x-ray same doc told her that her pathology was not bad enough for surgery.

Ha
Old 05-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4kids View Post
....... Remember stem cells only come from embryonic tissue ..........

Not true........ the cells are from the patient themselves
Adult stem cell therapy has many applications, not just joints and mark my words (could not help it) will become standard therapy within a generation or two hope i live long enough to see it
guess you did not read either the article or even the quote I posted from it
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Dad had one done in 1972 (incision right down the knee cap and 6 weeks of rehab) and another in 1976 (half the incision) He passed away in 2005 with both artificial knees still holding up just fine and could walk around no problem till his last day. Dad in law had them done when he was in his mid 80's (a few years ago) no issues recovering he's 90 now.
When Dad asked when should have them replaced (he was in his 50's whne they were done) Dad's doctor said you'll tell me when i.e. the pain level will tell you.

Expert tips - keep up any flexibility exercise you can - sometimes it is a bit use it or lose it. Probably true with regular natural knees, yes. and nowadays get off any opiod ASAP (like a couple days after surgery).
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

My wife really suffered in her first 24 hours after the knee replacement yesterday. She said it was the worst surgery pain of her life. Since she is a pain management patient, her scheduled medicines were not coming when her body needed them. She is much better today and was able to bend the knee 90 degrees.
Hopefully she will have a better day tomorrow.
This ain't a pleasurable experience.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My wife really suffered in her first 24 hours after the knee replacement yesterday. She said it was the worst surgery pain of her life. Since she is a pain management patient, her scheduled medicines were not coming when her body needed them. She is much better today and was able to bend the knee 90 degrees.
Hopefully she will have a better day tomorrow.
This ain't a pleasurable experience.
Please let your wife know we are thinking about her. In a few weeks, she will be so happy she did this. In the meantime, it can be very tough. It IS worth it.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I have often found that after an injury to the body, the day after is always the worst. And, let's face it, having your body cut up, and parts of it cut off, is definitely an injury.

Hopefully, it will all be worth it in the not to distant future. Please keep us informed.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
King, when you say "she gets the shots", what type of shots are you referring to? If it is just cortisone, I would agree, these only last a short period of time for DH. If she has just been getting cortisone, i suggest she try one of the lubricant shots like Euflexxa instead . DH has bad knee arthritis. He gets Euflexxa every six months (series of 3 shots in each knee, one per week for 3 weeks) and it is like a miracle for him.
I think she said it was a steroid. I'll ask tonight and mention Euflexxa.
king smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Please let your wife know we are thinking about her. In a few weeks, she will be so happy she did this. In the meantime, it can be very tough. It IS worth it.
The main problem was that her pain medicine schedule was not followed after the surgery. Politics have surgeons now giving less meds now than in the past. It took a day to get my wife's pain meds properly regulated. She is now a new person.

There were 4 knee replacement patients in today's physical therapy session. Only one had any swelling, the rest were giving a pain of 2 out of 10 two days after the surgery. All had met goals of bending over 90 degrees.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #40

Quote:
The main problem was that her pain medicine schedule was not followed after the surgery. Politics have surgeons now giving less meds now than in the past. It took a day to get my wife's pain meds properly regulated. She is now a new person.
Before DW's surgery they implanted a tiny line in her leg with an attached pump that delivered a numbing agent to the knee. I guess this allows them to cut down on the use of narcotic pain medicine. The pump metered the numbing agent as programmed but she could press a button every half hour for a little extra numbness. They even let her wear it home. She pulled out the line herself, we disposed of the remaining agent and the pump was set back in a self-address padded mailer. She thought it was great.