Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Toxic Cleansing for the body??
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Cleansing toxins sounds like a great idea but, to me, it fits the pattern of our consumerist "quick fix." A neat and convenient way to amend lots of indiscretion by "cleaning up" (or out as the case may be). It is probably a good idea but the benefit has to be small compared to a more sustained change for the long haul. The body has tremendous and seemingly miraculous power to heal itself. Most acute problems resolve in about three weeks whether we do anything or not. Personal example: staph skin infection. Nasty big boil. Painful and unsightly. Get antibiotics to take for 10 days (the thing started and grew for a week) and within a week after that it's gone. Don't get the antibiotics and after the initial week it's gone about two weeks later. The same is true of colds, hangnails, and pimples on the nose. Pre diabetes, hypertension and atherosclerosis take a more sustained commitment to diet, exercise and attitude.
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
FLUSH TWICE WITH COLON BLOW!!!!
Works great!!
http://www.colonblow.com
Hey, look at the second review on the main page:

Rating: Excellent

"Fast shipping. Would recommend to others." JG <-----
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is a funny web-site, but the product does work. I've used and I can say without hesitation, I am no longer full of sh*t!!

Maybe if JG actually used the product he could say the same?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Alex, do you have teeth marks on the towel rack, though? I mean, how gentle can something called COLON BLOW really be??
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of colon cleansing...

More than 20 years ago, cruise ships used to have toilets that basically generated a powerful vacuum for flushing. Maybe they still do. A case report in JAMA described an obese woman who sat herself down on such a beauty to take care of business. Her tush was sufficiently ample to cover the toilet seat and to generate a nice tight seal.

She flushed the toilet before arising and the resulting force literally turned her colon inside out. Not funny, I know. But she required air evac. to Seattle for emergency surgery.

Just wanted to elevate the level of the thread a little bit. You may now return to your regularly scheduled enema discussion.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Rich, you are the M.D., I was weighting er waiting for you to er, weigh in on this (Dang, the inside out obese woman is stuck on my mind - that's never good!)
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Alex, do you have teeth marks on the towel rack, though? I mean, how gentle can something called COLON BLOW really be??
It was actually not bad at all. You just drink the product mixed with water. Very simple. I did it over a weekend (I started on friday night) and was never uncomfortable. By Sunday night I was finished.

The website is just trying to bring some much needed humor to an otherwise disgusting subject!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I did it over a weekend (I started on friday night) and was never uncomfortable. By Sunday night I was finished.
So were you "moving" all weekend? Like, do you make sure not to plan to go out to the movies because you need to hit the pot every hour or so?

Has this kind of thing been shown to have any anti-cancer benefits?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://thetravisty.com/Saturday_Nigh...Colon_Blow.htm
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
So were you "moving" all weekend? Like, do you make sure not to plan to go out to the movies because you need to hit the pot every hour or so?

Has this kind of thing been shown to have any anti-cancer benefits?
. I was moving every 3-4 hours when awake. I rented some video's though and never had any plans to leave the house. I didn't know what to expect!

As for any benefits, I can only say that I sure felt better. It may have been psychosomatic, but getting all the mucus, and built up feces out of your body has to be beneficial? It made me evaluate my eating decisions, thats for sure! And I got a tee shirt!!! and a hat!!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I ask because my friend was selling organic cleansers, he gave me a bag of it (looked like ground up weed) and he told me to be careful, because he tried it and was singing Bowie and Elton John(ground control to major tom....rocketman....) said the process involved breaking into a sweat and running to the bathroom every half hour or so.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #32

Quote:
I ask because my friend was selling organic cleansers, he gave me a bag of it (looked like ground up weed) and he told me to be careful, because he tried it and was singing Bowie and Elton John(ground control to major tom....rocketman....) said the process involved breaking into a sweat and running to the bathroom every half hour or so.
OUCH!!!! that does not sound like fun!! Colonblow was easy.....no pain and no sweating...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A question for Rich_in_tampa (and anyone else who has knowledge to weigh in on the question):

If you were a healthy 30-year old male who wanted to do his first colon cleanse, would you opt for the colonblow, or Whole Body Cleanse (www.wbcleanse.com), which is sold by Wild Oats (a competitor to Whole Foods)? If you went with just colon blow, what recommendations could you give for a whole body detox kit? I know lazygood4nuthin posted a long list of things to eat for a fast, and some have used the "maple syrup water for 8 days" thing, but I was looking more for a system that claims to be complete.

Yes, I know to never take medical advice from a 12 year old girl from Missoula complete stranger on the net...but I was curious what you all would recommend for a first-timer who wants to flush his colon and try and detox his body.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
A question for Rich_in_tampa (and anyone else who has knowledge to weigh in on the question):

If you were a healthy 30-year old male who wanted to do his first colon cleanse, would you opt for...
I'd like to take this one step further and ask Rich if there is any evidence to suggest that the idea of a "colon cleanse" isn't just a bunch of crap. (Serious question, pun intended.)

Old 02-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I'd like to take this one step further and ask Rich if there is any evidence to suggest that the idea of a "colon cleanse" isn't just a bunch of crap. (Serious question, pun intended.)
Same here. I know of several entrepreneurial business people on Ke'eamoku Street who'd happily charge for several varieties of this, but other than its "entertainment" value I'm not sure there's any medical benefit...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Same here. I know of several entrepreneurial business people on Ke'eamoku Street who'd happily charge for several varieties of this, but other than its "entertainment" value I'm not sure there's any medical benefit...
While I don't have any research or studies to cite, if you simply consider that there is trace materials left in your digestive track over time, and that cancer is simply cells that mutate and grow incredibly fast, it sounds like all of that excess garbage laying around in your digestive track could assist development of cancerous cells.

A chemical analysis of the 'output' of a cleanse would be the surefire way to make the claim one way or another....but even so, do you think getting rid of that excess garbage laying around in your intestine for 20/30/40 years would be a good thing, or a bad thing? I would consider it one of those "it might not have an explicitly beneficial result every time (but could for some people), but it sure as hell can't hurt you" type of deals.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

If you were a healthy 30-year old male who wanted to do his first colon cleanse, would you opt for the colonblow, or Whole Body Cleanse (www.wbcleanse.com)
I'm not aware of credible evidence of effectiveness for such treatments, MooreBonds. The bottom line (no pun) is whether it makes life longer and/or better. The biologic rationale doesn't make too much sense to me, though that can sometimes be misleading or insufficient; a healthy mouth-to-bottom transit time for normally ingested food and/or toxins is about 72 hours tops using sensitive assays like tracer isotopes.

So, none of this means that it doesn't work, just that it hasn't been shown to do so. We each have to make decisions about just how much theory and testimonials versus evidence is acceptable to us. You could spend a lot of time adopting practices which have been espoused without evidence one way or another (anecdote is not evidence, of course). But, there may be something of value in many alternative treatments. I try to keep an open mind.

My only advice is to know the risks, do your homework and then do what you think is best for you. Personally, I like to combine a healthy diet with periodic colonoscopy for my war against colon cancer.

Hope that helps.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Hope that helps.
Yeah, it did. Thanks Doc, for the straight poop.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Yeah, it did. Thanks Doc, for the straight poop.
No problelm. These things always work out in the end.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While I don't have any research or studies to cite,

but it sure as hell can't hurt you" type of deals.
Well, w/o some research or study, how can you be in a position to say 'it can't hurt'? I don't follow the logic of this at all. I think people want to believe that some of these 'quick fixes' can help, and choose to ignore that they have no data to support it.

Our bodies are not a car engine. We have active maintenance systems. Does a 'cleansing' remove anything that isn't removed over the normal course of events? And if so, is there any evidence that any of that 'build up' is bad? And why not flush our eye sockets, or change our bone marrow, or replace our blood and lymphatic fluid three or four times a year? Ewww, old blood!

I think the vast majority of people on this forum would be very skeptical of 'get rich quick' schemes. Why are so many so willing to accept 'get healthy quick' schemes?

Eat a variety of good quality food, keep a high ratio of fiber to calories, drink plenty of water, maintain a good weight, exercise. A lot like LBYM.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote