Join Early Retirement Today

Toxic Cleansing for the body??
Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Toxic Cleansing for the body??

Anybody tried it? If you did, would you do it again?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Toxic Cleansing for the body??
Old 01-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you referring to "pills" that you take for a specified period of time or just process in general?

Lena
Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i rarely drink booze, never drink soda, don't smoke, don't eat meat, limit fish, et al, so i doubt my body is all that toxic (well, if i discount the cookies) to begin with. still, anything about detoxing seems to catch my eye.

i noticed the following, i think on yahoo, the other day and saved it to my desktop. (sorry i don't recall the precise source.) turns out just about all the items already are regular parts of my diet. i have to add watercress, brocolli sprouts (which sounds really good), and psyllium (which i've never even heard of before).

"1. Lots of super-healthy liquids to flush out the body while pouring in nutrients.
2. Fiber to keep your GI tract fit.
3. Foods that energize cleansing enzymes in the liver, your body's built-in detox center.
The top 10:
1. Green leafy vegetables. Eat them raw, throw them into a broth, add them to juices. Their chlorophyll helps swab out environmental toxins (heavy metals, pesticides) and is an all-round liver protector.
2. Lemons. You need to keep the fluids flowing to wash out the body and fresh lemonade is ideal. Its vitamin C - considered the detox vitamin - helps convert toxins into a water - soluble form that?s easily flushed away.
3. Watercress. Put a handful into salads, soups, and sandwiches. The peppery little green leaves have a diuretic effect that helps move things through your system. And cress is rich in minerals too.
4. Garlic. Add it to everything - salads, sauces, spreads. In addition to the bulb's cardio benefits, it activates liver enzymes that help filter out junk.
5. Green tea. This antioxidant-rich brew is one of the healthiest ways to get more fluids into your system. Bonus: It contains catechins, which speed up liver activity.
6. Broccoli sprouts. Get 'em at your health-food store. They pack 20 to 50 times more cancer-fighting, enzyme-stimulating activity into each bite than the grown-up vegetable.
7. Sesame seeds. They're credited with protecting liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals. For a concentrated form, try tahini, the yummy sesame seed paste that?s a staple of Asian cooking.
8. Cabbage. There are two main types of detoxifying enzymes in the liver; this potent veggie helps activate both of them. Coleslaw, anyone?
9. Psyllium. A plant that?s rich in soluble fiber, like oat bran, but more versatile. It mops up toxins (cholesterol too) and helps clear them out. Stir powdered psyllium into juice to help cleanse your colon, or have psyllium-fortified Bran Buds for breakfast.
10. Fruits, fruits, fruits. They're full of almost all the good things above - vitamin C, fiber, nutritious fluids, and all kinds of antioxidants. Besides, nothing tastes better than a ripe mango, fresh berries, or a perfect pear.

Ultimate Detox Recipe

Easy Wilted Garlic-Sesame Salad
Toss dark, leafy greens in hot, garlicky oil for a cleansing?and delicious - dish
4 servings, about 65 calories each
1 Tsp. olive oil
"

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm going to begin a "fat-flush" detox on Tuesday. Requires drinking lots of cranberry juice/water (one part unsweetened cranberry juice to 7 parts water), lemons in water, lots of greens, pretty much what Lazygood4nothinbum listed except the green tea. No caffeine allowed. Need to do this for 2 weeks to help flush out toxins and help the liver and good bacteria recoup. I know I will suffer from caffeine and sugar withdrawls - I've already warned DH
Old 01-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #5

I have done the Master Cleanse. In 2004 right after Christmas through New Year's eve, I drank only lemon water sweetened with maple syrup and seasoned with cayenne pepper. There are a couple important protocals, like drinking the salt water flush every morning, and I will spare you the details. I'd never done anything like that and found the experience very interesting. After a couple of days the hunger went away. I started to notice some good things, like weight loss and the dark undereye circles disappearing, but the mental clarity and good spirits were wonderful!

One downside: I went to a New Year's concert in a theatre on the 7th day of the cleanse and was grossed out by how awful all the drinkers stank! Apparently, all of one's senses become heightened.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
I have done the Master Cleanse. In 2004 right after Christmas through New Year's eve, I drank only lemon water sweetened with maple syrup and seasoned with cayenne pepper.
that's so wierd, that's just the recipe a friend told me about last night over dinner. gonna try it just as soon as i give up cookies.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
I have done the Master Cleanse. In 2004 right after Christmas through New Year's eve, I drank only lemon water sweetened with maple syrup and seasoned with cayenne pepper. There are a couple important protocals, like drinking the salt water flush every morning, and I will spare you the details. I'd never done anything like that and found the experience very interesting. After a couple of days the hunger went away. I started to notice some good things, like weight loss and the dark undereye circles disappearing, but the mental clarity and good spirits were wonderful!

One downside: I went to a New Year's concert in a theatre on the 7th day of the cleanse and was grossed out by how awful all the drinkers stank! Apparently, all of one's senses become heightened.
My chiropractor just completed Master Cleanse. He said he lost 15 pounds, and feels great. He does it 3-4 times a year........

I heard you need to get off your prescriptions when you do this. I am on Cingulair for allergies, and a low dose of Zocor. I plan on talking to my doctor before doing this, but I heard this process really helps your health.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
He does it 3-4 times a year........
Shouldn't the focus be on avoiding the toxic substances in the first place?

Because otherwise I'd do the chocolate toxic cleansing regime at least daily!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Shouldn't the focus be on avoiding the toxic substances in the first place?
i think so, but even before life got so depressingly odd and i was being extremely healthy i used to do a juice-fast a few times a year. just vegetable & fruit juices for 3 days at a stretch. i don't know if it had actual effect but at least i felt like i was doing something healthy for myself. i thought of it like changing the routine of a workout to get more benefit.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
gone traveling

Anyone see the Curb Your Enthusiasum where larry has to buy Colon Cleanse for his wife who takes it then they get stuck in a car wash?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #11

I have not been courageous enough to try any all-liquid fasts, but I did try some stuff called Ultimate Meal (ultimatelife.com), a powder that you make smoothies with. Supposed to be all non-toxic, no allergens, nothing cooked. All the food you need in 1 or 2 shakes. I didn't see dramatic effects, but I already eat vegan and no caffeine or alcohol, so perhaps others would have a different experience. I was impressed with how filling it was for the volume and I did have good energy. The woman at the health food store where I bought it said it was "the best stuff in the whole store," which is quite a strong statement given the floor-to-ceiling shelves of everything they've got in there! I am not a big supplement user so I can't really compare, but I would try it again occasionally just for interest.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #12

FLUSH TWICE WITH COLON BLOW!!!!
Works great!!
http://www.colonblow.com
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
FLUSH TWICE WITH COLON BLOW!!!!
Works great!!
http://www.colonblow.com
On a scale of 'witchdoctor sez' <---> 10 years of scientific double blind testing,
These homepathic stunts always seem a little too close to the 'witchdoctor sez'
part of the scale to me.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I hadnt heard of any of this before, so it was interesting. I was pleased and relieved to find out that the 'salt water flush' involved DRINKING the salt water.

A 2 quart enema first thing in the morning seemed a bit strenuous.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I was pleased and relieved to find out that the 'salt water flush' involved DRINKING the salt water.
A 2 quart enema first thing in the morning seemed a bit strenuous.
I've done both of those while surfing, occasionally at the same time, and have yet to notice any beneficial health effects from their instrusion ingestion...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm... an interesting and timely topic. Yesterday, I began a 3 day fast using "So Easy Nutri-supplements" on the advice of my doctor. (It includes packets of natural stuff to put into your water, like "BioDiet" "BioBalance" "BioCell" and Wheatgrass). I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised that I HAVE NOT BEEN HUNGRY AT ALL!!! And the stuff even is semi-pleasant tasting - OK, maybe that's because I am not eating any food, but still it's not as bad as I was anticipating. SPeaking of anticipating, after 3 days of this cleanse, I get to experience my first colon cleansing at the doctor's on Friday. I am NOT looking forward to that, I can assure you, but if I am still alive and speaking Friday afternoon, I'll let you know how it went!!!!
SolidA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You need a longer wet-suit.

Isnt drinking lots of seawater supposed to be bad for you?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

You need a longer wet-suit.
Isnt drinking lots of seawater supposed to be bad for you?
My wetsuit's been hanging in our garage for about 17 years-- ever since we left Monterey!

I don't exactly drink it-- it's mostly nasal injection...

Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Anyone who's water skied has had the "lake-water enema"; I suspect it's even better with saltwater...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #20

just back from the health food store. got my grade b maple syrup for the master clense i'll start tomorrow. and just tried a tablespoon of psyllium whole husks in my protein shake. gotta go out to dinner tonight. sure hope there are no surprises.