Join Early Retirement Today

Trampoline/Rebounder
Old 03-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trampoline/Rebounder

My young neighbor has a mini trampoline that she uses in her backyard. I was thinking this would be a great way to get exercise especially while avoiding the gym during the pandemic.

I've been reading Amazon reviews and it sounds like a lot of older people are using them too.

Does anyone here have one? Do you use it? What is important to look for n the equipment?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 05:06 AM   #2
gone traveling

check your homeowners insurance first. state farm gave my friend 24 hours to remove his from the property.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
check your homeowners insurance first. state farm gave my friend 24 hours to remove his from the property.
+1

Also check which local urgent care is "in network" should you end up needing treatment for a fractured limb.

All kidding aside, our grandson broke his leg using a trampoline.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Administrator

Yoga/strength/exercise DVDs are what we use when cannot get to the gym.

I’m currently stuck at home with a cough and sore throat while DW is in Edinburgh caring for her sister who has just had open heart surgery. I have not been going to the gym because I don’t want to infect fellow members so have been getting my cardio walking outside, and using our yoga dvds to keep up with the flexibility exercises.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
My young neighbor has a mini trampoline that she uses in her backyard. I was thinking this would be a great way to get exercise especially while avoiding the gym during the pandemic.

I've been reading Amazon reviews and it sounds like a lot of older people are using them too.

Does anyone here have one? Do you use it? What is important to look for n the equipment?
Are you thinking a 40 inch mini rebounder (like this) We have one, DW used it for a couple of years. It gives a very vigorous work out, much like jumping rope. DD has used it a couple of times when visiting. DW is happy with hers and feels she got her money’s worth, even though it’s not currently in use.

They don’t store easily, so hopefully you have space. Balance is tricky, so DW found it easier to locate the mini near a wall she could reach to and steady herself if needed. The springs break and the manufacturer sells replacements, it’s best to have a couple on hand.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a mini rebounder like the one on Michael's post. DH says it hurts his knees a little. I don't particularly enjoy it myself (kind of boring, but I say that about almost any exercise equipment.) It's in a room in the basement with other exercise equipment, standing sideways against a wall.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is not about the rebounder, but I bought balance 1 slideboard recently and I enjoy it, although it kicks my butt (and legs)...
https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Slide...3684070&sr=8-1

It works like this...
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
It looks like speed skating.
I once had hardwood floors that were polycoated, super shiny and slippery. It was like this everyday walking around
Old 03-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had a mini trampoline/rebounder years ago, great aerobic workout. However, now I would be fearful of falling or being off balance, so would definitely need one to be near a wall or something. I have seen ones with hand rails at a little kids gym, that would work I think! :-)
Old 03-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #10

The rebounder I was looking at has a handrail. I don't want to buy it if I'm not going to use it. I guess I should try one out first.

Alan, I hope you feel better soon!
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #11

I don't think I am especially large or paranoid but I can see broken springs and twisted ankles somehow.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:10 AM   #12
gone traveling

The only way I would use a trampoline is if I covered the springs to prevent injury, and built up around the perimeter with pads for the inevitable fall.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a JumpSport I got a few years ago. It uses bungees instead of springs. You still need to replace every year, but some are adjustable for firmer or softer bounce. Bouncing is great for your lymph and immune system. Some say it helps build bone with osteoporosis. I do have a hand rail with mine. It is a great way to get movement or steps in. There are lots of youtube videos out there on how to use them for a variety of exercise. A few models are collapsable as well. Got mine at Costco.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
This is not about the rebounder, but I bought balance 1 slideboard recently and I enjoy it, although it kicks my butt (and legs)...
https://www.amazon.com/Balance-Slide...3684070&sr=8-1

It works like this...
Looks to me like that would be an awesome trainer for pickleball. I'd last about 3 seconds, and my form would suck from the get-go...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Squats are more effective than a mini-trampoline.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Squats are more effective than a mini-trampoline.
I do my squats on my mini-trampoline.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
I do my squats on my mini-trampoline.
How do you balance the barbell??
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

If you get one, I recommend a well-built "therapeutic" one like the Bellicon. They are good exercise, easy on the knees and good for aerobic exercise and lymphatic drainage. That said, always check with your doctor first and if you have knee issues, then talk to a PT first to make sure you can use it and how to use it correctly. For example, if you have knee issues as a result of weak hip muscles, then you need to strengthen your hip muscles to help you have "solid" bounces. In that case, IF your physical therapist approved, then he/she would likely tell you to NOT use it to jump but rather to do very light jogging or mini "jumps" where your feet don't actually leave the mat of the rebounder. You can also get these with a safety bar that you can hold onto if you're concerned about falling. And lastly, I know that the Bellicon has the option of fold up legs so it's easy to store. That said, it is best if you leave it out b/c you're more likely to actually use the darned thing. No, I don't own the company but the rebounder was very, very helpful to me years ago when I was crawling out of a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis. I later recommended it to many of my own patients.
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
How do you balance the barbell??

Very carefully? I actually only hold 2 lightweight (5 lb) hand weights at the most. I can barely even lift our barbell. That is setup for my DH.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote