Tricare for life - for the spouse too?

WM

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone know whether, for military retirees, the family members are covered for life as well? I know everyone can be covered under Tricare when the military member retires, but what if he/she dies first, and before the spouse reaches 65 (Medicare)? Will the spouse still be covered under Tricare?

The surviving spouse will be covered for life, unless he/she remaries.

Kids are covered until they turn 21, and until 23 if they are full-time students. Then they can darn well enlist themselves and get their own benefits!!!

Here's a link with the details on unusual situations.
TRICARE Eligibility - Military Benefits - Military.com

Of course, the military retirement checks stop with the member's death, unless he/she signed up for the Survivor's Benefit Plan (SBP). But that has nothing to do with Tricare.

Thanks samclem! I will bookmark the link for future reference.

The surviving spouse will be covered for life, unless he/she remaries.
And can get it back if she later divorces. My sister's husband was killed in a Navy plane crash. She remarried and lost coverage but 15 years later she divorced and requalified.

Does anyone know whether, for military retirees, the family members are covered for life as well? I know everyone can be covered under Tricare when the military member retires, but what if he/she dies first, and before the spouse reaches 65 (Medicare)? Will the spouse still be covered under Tricare?
Medicare also kicks Tricare down to second-payer status for some situations before age 65-- like kidney failure and organ transplants.

Reservists/NG dying between the date of being approved for retirement and age 60, with or without SBP, is a whole 'nother mess. Let us know if that's part of the question and I'll dig into the links with my Reservist spouse...

Reservists/NG dying between the date of being approved for retirement and age 60, with or without SBP, is a whole 'nother mess. Let us know if that's part of the question and I'll dig into the links with my Reservist spouse...

Nope, active duty is all I need to know about at the moment, thanks.

Thanks, R Wood! You're right, this site is much better than I remember.

Back
Top Bottom