Join Early Retirement Today

Tried a light box for Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Old 10-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Tried a light box for Seasonal Affective Disorder?

I spent last winter in the Southern Hemisphere and just got back from a trip to the Mediterranean. The days here at nearly 48 degrees N are already feeling short!

Usually I feel fairly blue for a few months midwinter and have decided to try more than Vitamin D, so I am trying sitting in front of a light box for 1/2 hour first thing in the morning. I am only 3 days and am curious to know if any of you have tried it, and what your results have been.

Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have one but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Stopped using it.

Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have with okay results. When we were in MO. SAD drove me wacko after DST ended. A light was the only thing that I could tolerate. Keep doing it for a couple weeks.

The thing that was better, for me, was a week in FL, Jamaica... in December, January timeframe. Blasts SAD away.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did not work for DS, I didn't notice a difference. I don't have SAD, but do like bright/sun light. I make sure our drapes are all open completely in the morning. It helps that our house is East/West facing so we do get sun all day (when it is out!)

Has anyone tried the blue light ones? I'm wondering if they work any better? The ones I have seen for sale are much smaller and less intrusive.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Luckily, here in New Orleans S.A.D. just isn't an issue. I don't know of anyone who has it. Probably that is due to lots of sunshine here during most of the year. I do try to remember to open one of the blinds in my den (where I spend most of my time), before noon.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

My DB has this disorder. He's here in the midwest but will be going home to Ft Lauderdale in @ week. I can tell his mood is sulky and sad. He loved the late summer and early fall here, but starting to get down with cloudy 30-50 degree weather.

I said to him, I feel cozy (we live here full time), ready to watch new Netflix series, get a hot cup of tea and some blankets. I like to walk in cold cloudy winter weather. DH making a batch of vegetable bean soup for the winter, we freeze it. House smells like the holidays. Everyone is different. I get sad when I see road kill. DB could care less about that.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your input. I'll give it several weeks before I decide if it is working or not. It isn't unpleasant to sit in front of it and browse the internet and drink coffee. I also discovered that the bright light makes it much easier for me to see well enough to groom my eyebrows!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have one and really cant say whether it works or not. If you live in the northern climates like I do and are Scandi (at least partly) you are more prone to the effects to sun deprivation and my Dr. recommended one, said it really cant hurt in my case.

Have your Dr. do a vit D test. You can probably do a 1000units or 2 without any issue without a bloodtest but that may or may not be adequate. Get an accurate reading. 5000U is about the max that is recommended at Dr, orders, although a 10K dose for a couple of weeks is often prescribed for those with very low D.

Normal range is 35-100, In the winter months I was dropping to 10-15, that was mid spring 2019. Mid spring for many is still late winter up here. Did the 2 weeks of 10k--what a boost. When I dropped back to 5k could actually feel a decline in energy, brain function etc.

Six months into D therapy, last bloodtest was 45 in Sept.

Supplemenation and our ourside activities-- yard work, hiking/walking and kayaking brought it up to 45. Going to have another draw in Jan or so to see.

Don't self medicate unless you enjoy the occasional kidney stone.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Yes, I’ve used a blue light box and found it helped when I lived up in NorCal.
I still use it in SoCal when we get too many gloomy days.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #10

As a midwesterner, I self-diagnosed as having SAD. I relocated 1000 miles away to a sunny clime. But as I was working, coming in before 7 AM and leaving after 5 PM, I did not see the sun for a couple months in winter on weekdays. And if the weekend had little/no sun, I was pretty bummed out.

Retiring was the cure! Now my light box is old Sol, and he's free!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been told this brand of lighting is ideal for minor effects of the lack of sunshine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Trademar...iABEgINsPD_BwE

Thx & Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2019, 06:25 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Light boxes have been proven to be very effective for many people with SAD. The efficacy is well documented to the point that some insurances covered it in the past. In order for it to be effective it needs to be the correct Brightness (10,000 LUX) for 20-30 minutes daily, 16-24 inches away from your eyes. The light (or sunlight) needs to be absorbed through the eyes in order to stimulate serotonin production. Using it too late in the day or evening can make it difficult to fall asleep. Many people find it ineffective if they do not have a bright enough light, or they fail to use it regularly. Of course, YMMV, as it doesn't work for everybody.
Lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 AM   #13

I worked in coal mines for 35 years, rotating shifts weekly, biweekly,monthly, and also steady shifts. Never felt any issues with SAO, and I figure my cataract, skin cancer risk is pretty low, too.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #14

I found that our HOT SPRINGS spa/hot tub helps get rid of the Winter blues...or at least makes you stop shivering. I agree that keeping the blinds open helps, as does getting enough sleep.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #15

I used to own one when I lived in Northern California but never used it. I wish I still had it now. I now do tanning during winter months living in Canada which helps and helps more than Vit D which does nothing for me. I don't want to get a tan, and I cover my face/hands where I don't want any extra wrinkles. My new gym has a red light therapy room, so I may try that to see if it does something.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #16

My mother really felt the effects when she moved from FL to PA after my father died (aggravated by the move from a large sunny house to a much smaller and not very sunny apartment). We got her this lamp Verilux Smartlight to use by her recliner and it seemed to help her quite a bit. It also made it much easier for her to read, etc. I then got one for my craft room to help out with close-up work and love it.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Yes, Iíve used a blue light box and found it helped when I lived up in NorCal.
I still use it in SoCal when we get too many gloomy days.
thanks. I may try the blue light one
Old 10-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I used one for a few winters living in Washington state. I believe it helped me. Nothing to lose by trying it for a few months.

woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote