Join Early Retirement Today

Trigger point surgery
Old 05-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Trigger point surgery

I've had trigger points in the muscles along the edge of my scapula for 17 years. I've tried a lot of therapies for them. They can improve the discomfort, but they don't make them go away. I found the following article about a surgical solution to the problem. Anyone had, or know anything about this procedure?

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc....php?aid=64143

I'm going to a local surgeon here first and have an MRI and get their opinion also before going down to Dallas.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
I've had trigger points in the muscles along the edge of my scapula for 17 years. I've tried a lot of therapies for them. They can improve the discomfort, but they don't make them go away. I found the following article about a surgical solution to the problem. Anyone had, or know anything about this procedure?

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-acc....php?aid=64143

I'm going to a local surgeon here first and have an MRI and get their opinion also before going down to Dallas.
What is a trigger point? An area that gets inflamed if used, but is OK if not used?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
What is a trigger point? An area that gets inflamed if used, but is OK if not used?
Sort of. Here's a definition;

Myofascial trigger points, also known as trigger points, are described as hyperirritable spots in the skeletal muscle. They are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:

Myofascial trigger points, also known as trigger points, are described as hyperirritable spots in the skeletal muscle. They are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers.

I've researched "myofacial" health issues.
There are different types.

The chiropractor that helped me was fresh out of school.
I now suspect the others wanted "maintenance" appointments, not a rectifying appointment schedule.

I'd advise against surgery until you research everything else!
My health gains have been implemented by my bodies own regenerative props. & stretching, daily for decades.
Dr.'s do not want to hear it.

This is not legal or health advice.
Good luck & best wishes...
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife has had good luck with steroid injections in the trigger points. She's also had many rounds of Physical Therapy. And nerve ablations are other alternatives.

She's having problems now with deteriorating discs and her legs drawing at night, and is going to see her pain management doctor next week on a routine visit.

You said you're going to go to a doctor for a second opinion. I hope that doctor is a neurosurgeon because they're best equipped to give advice on such problems.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks. I have something similar. I don't get any 'palpable nodules', but I have a 'nemesis' spot, just to the left of upper spine, that I think must have some permanent bad thing there that appeared about 10 years ago. Whenever I exercise my upper body or work using upper body, the next day I get a general swelling, pain, stiffness, soreness, numbness thing in the upper left of the spine between shoulder blades (scapula). If I am a blob and do not work or exercise, it feels fine. Once I do something 'good' like exercise or work, it flares up. Stretching makes it worse. Just irritates it, like exercise does. Sigh.... I have mentioned it to my primary care doc, and he is OK with me just living with it. I would not want to get surgery. If I had more faith in PT I would go to those guys for help, but I think they would just irritate it, like everything else seems to do, and not fix it. Afraid of chiro's. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck to you, Masquernom. Every case is different.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #7

I've tried everything I can find. PT, acupuncture, TENS, dry needling, ASTYM, yoga, massage, injection, etc.. They all give some degree of relief. But they don't fix the problem.

My PCP is scheduling me for an MRI. Once that's done, I'll see a local ortho surgeon. I had a teleconf with the doctor in Dallas that does the surgery. He said it's an outpatient procedure. Apparently, it's pretty minor. I'm afraid he's thinking I have one problem, when it's something else. Guess I'll eventually find out.

If I don't exercise, the areas become latent. Not really a problem. I can do some exercises with no problem. But do the wrong work/exercise, and I wake them up.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I've tried everything I can find. PT, acupuncture, TENS, dry needling, ASTYM, yoga, massage, injection, etc.. They all give some degree of relief. But they don't fix the problem.

My PCP is scheduling me for an MRI. Once that's done, I'll see a local ortho surgeon. I had a teleconf with the doctor in Dallas that does the surgery. He said it's an outpatient procedure. Apparently, it's pretty minor. I'm afraid he's thinking I have one problem, when it's something else. Guess I'll eventually find out.

If I don't exercise, the areas become latent. Not really a problem. I can do some exercises with no problem. But do the wrong work/exercise, and I wake them up.
Masquernom, any updates for us?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

I have an appointment for a MRI with local provider on June 11. Pretty sure I have a shoulder impingement along with the trigger point issues. I hope I can make sure they MRI the shoulder and also along the scapula. I hope to get the MRI reviewed locally, and also send a copy to the surgeon in Dallas.

As with most things medical, this will all take some time. I had a very bad experience with a knee surgery, so I'm not rushing into anything this time.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. I have something similar. I don't get any 'palpable nodules', but I have a 'nemesis' spot, just to the left of upper spine, that I think must have some permanent bad thing there that appeared about 10 years ago. Whenever I exercise my upper body or work using upper body, the next day I get a general swelling, pain, stiffness, soreness, numbness thing in the upper left of the spine between shoulder blades (scapula). If I am a blob and do not work or exercise, it feels fine. Once I do something 'good' like exercise or work, it flares up. Stretching makes it worse. Just irritates it, like exercise does. Sigh.... I have mentioned it to my primary care doc, and he is OK with me just living with it. I would not want to get surgery. If I had more faith in PT I would go to those guys for help, but I think they would just irritate it, like everything else seems to do, and not fix it. Afraid of chiro's. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck to you, Masquernom. Every case is different.
That sounds very much like the problem I have. I've found two things that help. First, proper exercise helps me. Also, ASTYM used to locate the exact spots and aggressive dry needling. I injured myself with weight training. Too much work on chest/front of body, not enough work on back. It was after being ill and not exercising for a year. Jumped right back in and over did it. Exercises for the shoulders and back seem to help stabilize things. But it doesn't fix them. That's why I'm hoping the doctor in Dallas can actually repair the damage. We'll see.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #11

Well, my insurance called me. They were wondering why I scheduled my MRI with a hospital. I told them my doctor set it up and it was in the same network as my doctor.

They told me my cost for the MRI at the hospital would be $1,014. They said there was a stand alone imaging company here in town I could use. My cost there would be $500.

I emailed my doctor and asked if it made any difference which provider I used. The response was "I'll reschedule". I'll have to set up a new date for the MRI now.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
That sounds very much like the problem I have. I've found two things that help. First, proper exercise helps me. Also, ASTYM used to locate the exact spots and aggressive dry needling. I injured myself with weight training. Too much work on chest/front of body, not enough work on back. It was after being ill and not exercising for a year. Jumped right back in and over did it. Exercises for the shoulders and back seem to help stabilize things. But it doesn't fix them. That's why I'm hoping the doctor in Dallas can actually repair the damage. We'll see.
I think my nemesis came from one of 3 different injuries. I've had 2 other injuries to my back (lower and middle) heal themselves, but only after 10 years or so, of doing nothing special about it. Just 10 years of time healed them both. Knock on wood! I'm still waiting for time to heal this one, still waiting. I'm taking the approach of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Since I can still work, and since it's not terribly annoying, I say 'it ain't broke'. I'm afraid of getting medical folks involved, although I think physical therapy might have a 50% chance of fixing it. PT fixed up a frozen shoulder problem I had once.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Well, my insurance called me. They were wondering why I scheduled my MRI with a hospital. I told them my doctor set it up and it was in the same network as my doctor.

They told me my cost for the MRI at the hospital would be $1,014. They said there was a stand alone imaging company here in town I could use. My cost there would be $500.

I emailed my doctor and asked if it made any difference which provider I used. The response was "I'll reschedule". I'll have to set up a new date for the MRI now.
I think your insurance company did a stand-up thing there! That's above and beyond the norm. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
I think your insurance company did a stand-up thing there! That's above and beyond the norm. Good luck and keep us posted!
Agree, though probably your insurance co was calling you vs. rejecting the pre-auth out of hand.

Most imaging labs are simple one-stop-shops and far cheaper than hospital versions. Definitely worth shopping around to reduce your oop cost on this one. My knee MRI, and an imaging-only place, was less than $200 for me (on a high-deductible plan).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Agree, though probably your insurance co was calling you vs. rejecting the pre-auth out of hand.

Most imaging labs are simple one-stop-shops and far cheaper than hospital versions. Definitely worth shopping around to reduce your oop cost on this one. My knee MRI, and an imaging-only place, was less than $200 for me (on a high-deductible plan).
The insurance company actually called me just to let me know the procedure was approved. While I was on the phone the rep just asked why I was using the hospital and offered to check if there was anything cheaper. I'm glad she asked!