Turmeric for inflammation control

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anybody used the spice Tumeric to help with inflammation in the joints?

It seems to be gaining some credibility in the medical profession as a replacement for aspirin and nasids which can cause various problems . Yet, I also remember that claims about taking fish oil capsuls, and the latest reveleation that one must actually eat the fish to get the benefits of the oil.

Here's one thing I found that is somewhat confusing to me:

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/turmeric/ataglance.htm

Claims that curcuminoids found in turmeric help to reduce inflammation aren’t supported by strong studies.

Preliminary studies found that curcuminoids may
  • Reduce the number of heart attacks bypass patients had after surgery
  • Control knee pain from osteoarthritis as well as ibuprofen did
  • Reduce the skin irritation that often occurs after radiation treatments for breast cancer.

Last edited:
I don’t have joint problem anymore and I was pretty bad before. I don’t take turmeric on a regular basis. But my daughter does and she claims she can breath through her nose now. She did go see regular doctors and they was suggested all kind of crazy stuff to fix the problem While it’s not a joint problem. But I think that’s pretty good evidence it does help with inflammation. But these are very fresh turmeric, not the pills from Costco, pills were not as effective. I grow them myself and grind with honey in a blender for her use.

I. But I think that’s pretty good evidence it does help with inflammation. But these are very fresh turmeric, not the pills from Costco, pills were not as effective. I grow them myself and grind with honey in a blender for her use.

Thanks.

It seems we are back to eating the real food not just a factory made supplement made from the food.

... "Claims that curcuminoids found in turmeric help to reduce inflammation aren’t supported by strong studies." ...
What is confusing about this? Said another way: "Using turmeric as a medication is not supported by any serious research." Is that clearer?

Thanks.

It seems we are back to eating the real food not just a factory made supplement made from the food.
Why don’t you try it sometimes yourself, see if it helps. My husband has so much energy after a spoon of fresh turmeric in the morning. He can’t even dose after lunch. My daughter also claims turmeric gives her more energy. Even her roommate is taking it.
I have hip arthritis and after my belly dancing class, I don’t have any joint pain. I don’t even have to go to massage therapy any more. But acupuncture cured my joint problem, I did a lot when my health insurance had unlimited acupuncture visits.

I also use them for faster skin healing. This is why Indian brides use fresh turmeric before their wedding.

But I don’t take them regularly, I do cook turmeric with food, because it made me hot, warm, I’m already a hyper person, I don’t need it. But my friends reported she had gas problem with fresh turmeric.

My turmeric mix is very potent because the roots I dig out there is big and has strong roots, not like the ones I’ve seen at the Asian supermarkets. My daughter also claims our home grown turmeric tastes much better.

Last edited:
You can always try it for joint pain and see if it helps.

My dermatologist had me taking turmeric to reduce inflammation due to an autoimmune problem attacking my hair. The loss eventually stopped and I have had all of the hair finally grow back. I don’t know if the turmeric helped, or some other treatments. I’m just thrilled I don’t have bald spots around my head anymore.

Last edited:
As an experiment, I incorporated turmeric (both powder and fresh shredded rhizome) into my diet several years ago. My knee and back pain did improve somewhat over the ensuing months.
To be honest, I cannot specifically ascribe this benefit to the turmeric as I changed a few other things at the same time - i.e. added hydrolyzed collagen powder/gelatin, extra walking to my running/cycling routine plus additional stretches and other body work.
To have a lasting benefit the question to ask is will I stick with this long term/lifelong? That is yet to be determined for me.

If you look hard enough, you can find all sorts of claims for pretty much every food/herb/non-medicine.

If you look hard enough, you can find all sorts of claims for pretty much every food/herb/non-medicine.
Yeah. Not putting anyone down, but the plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

I cook with it on weekends, specifically in my eggs. No idea if it helps with inflammation, but I like the way it tastes in the eggs and suspect there's some kind of health benefit. Glad I could help. :)

My rheumatologist push me to use it. The capsules upset my tummy, so I make an extract out of turmeric tubers, cooked in vodka in the Instant Pot. I put some in my juice each morning and it does give me relief from my arthricic hand pain. YMMV

My rheumatologist push me to use it. The capsules upset my tummy, so I make an extract out of turmeric tubers, cooked in vodka in the Instant Pot. I put some in my juice each morning and it does give me relief from my arthricic hand pain. YMMV
Are you sure it’s not the Vodka that gives your relief? J/k

My primary care doc (who is Indian descent) suggested I incorporate significant quantities of tumeric in my diet as a preventative measure against dementia. She said did I notice that the incidence of dementia/memory loss in the Indian population is very low? She ascribed its benefits to the antiinflammatory effects in the body, including the brain. I'm not convinced, but I am intrigued by the theory.

So I should try more curry dishes in my diet before I forget . . .

My primary care doc (who is Indian descent) suggested I incorporate significant quantities of tumeric in my diet as a preventative measure against dementia. She said did I notice that the incidence of dementia/memory loss in the Indian population is very low? She ascribed its benefits to the antiinflammatory effects in the body, including the brain. I'm not convinced, but I am intrigued by the theory.

So I should try more curry dishes in my diet before I forget . . .

No science. No numbers. Also, perhaps a bit culturally chauvinist. My grandmother would say it was olive oil (which I understand does have some "health science" behind it) and oregano. Or cheese! All this "Deus ex Diet" looks a bit like like a pavlovian response. A whistle blows and a crowd rushes to the right ... then another whistle blows and the crowd rushes back to the left, in a desperate attempt to guess right. And we poo-poo market timing here.

The reason why so few Indians have dementia is they have shorter lifespans and die from other causes. Over a decade shorter than The US. More fun with statistics and not-all-the-relevant-information.

I take a daily turmeric capsule. I don't have any particular joint soreness issues, but there are numerous studies that have shown it to be effective in reducing inflammation throughout the body, among other health benefits. So, I take it mainly as a preventive measure that might boost overall health. Turmeric taken alone typically is not absorbed well, but you can enhance absorption quite a bit by taking it along with black pepper. Here is one Journal article that reviews the benefits of turmeric, along with a quote from the Conclusion Section:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

"Curcumin has received worldwide attention for its multiple health benefits, which appear to act primarily through its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory mechanisms. These benefits are best achieved when curcumin is combined with agents such as piperine, which increase its bioavailability significantly. Research suggests that curcumin can help in the management of oxidative and inflammatory conditions, metabolic syndrome, arthritis, anxiety, and hyperlipidemia. It may also help in the management of exercise-induced inflammation and muscle soreness, thus enhancing recovery and subsequent performance in active people. In addition, a relatively low dose can provide health benefits for people that do not have diagnosed health conditions."

I have been using a lot of curcumin for the anti inflammatory effects it has on my prostate. But as a plus a big old lump on my knee went away.

Tried for 90 days, didn't notice a marked change. I'll probably try again at some point. Sort of using the in-between time as a control. I've heard all the talk, but remain skeptical.

Remember, an herbal remedy which is proven to work in unbiased, scientific studies is called a "medicine." Before that, it's just an unfounded rumor.

After my wife's recent knee replacement, she was suffering. She has had great pain. Relief the last two weeks with:
Turmeric pills
Quell electronic stimulator
CBD oil
Volteran gel and lidocane lotion

The CBS oil is somewhat controversial right now since it came from hemp. But it has none of the chemicals that marijuana has. She is so much calmer, and her anxiety level has dropped dramatically without the use of Klonipan. And she has been able to drop from 3 pain pills daily to 2 pain pills. We are looking for this natural substance to he really popular in the future as it relieves pain and improves or eliminates anxiety.

Ive been taking turmeric capsules with black pepper for 180 days so far. have only used naproxen sodium for my knees 3 or 4 times in those 180 days. Used to take it daily. So clearly, the turmeric has helped me.

Also have added fish oil, and that for over a yr now. i found some relief from the oil for my knees but not as much as the turmeric provided. my skin seems much less likely to dry out as often as it did before, so i attribute that to the fish oil.

I read a book about 5 years ago, The Anti-Cancer Book, which details the story of a Doc who was diagnosed with a brain cancer, and did tons of research to help himself ... including both conventional and unconventional treatments. At the end of the book, IIRC, he wrote that if you get nothing else from this book, consume daily turmeric with black pepper for anti-inflammatory reasons (note: it thins the blood so if you are on a blood thinner, author says to check with your Doc). Since then, I open up the capsule (1000 mg curcumin + bioperine) and sprinkle it over my morning oatmeal (yeah, I got used to the taste) along with blueberries and I believe that I am having a healthy breakfast. I obtain my turmeric from Vitamin World, but there are many options.

Rich

My Indian heart doctor signed off on using turmeric, suggesting that fresh was better. I didn't find fresh, but have been having a spoonful with 6 heavy shakes from the pepper shaker in a glass with some water and a bit of Metoprolol. I've been getting the big spice containers of turmeric - maybe 14 oz? - from Costco for $6 or so vs the capsules for $27. Have gone through maybe 4 containers and can't say I feel miraculously better, but not dead yet so it's working?

My Indian heart doctor signed off on using turmeric, suggesting that fresh was better. I didn't find fresh, but have been having a spoonful with 6 heavy shakes from the pepper shaker in a glass with some water and a bit of Metoprolol. I've been getting the big spice containers of turmeric - maybe 14 oz? - from Costco for $6 or so vs the capsules for $27. Have gone through maybe 4 containers and can't say I feel miraculously better, but not dead yet so it's working?

You can grow your own, very easy to grow. I originally bought this plant from a street vendor because it had a pretty pink flower. But when I run out of home grown turmeric, I buy mine from Sprouts, they have organic turmeric for $12.99 a pound.

In my household turmeric is like Windex to the father of the bride in my Big Fat Greek Wedding movie, I turn to it for everything. My sister was given some of my homegrown turmeric because I had so many in one year, she consumed them and her normally swollen feet were reduced significantly, her doc also reduced her high blood pressure medicine too. Before she consumed them, her ankles were so swollen due to high blood pressure, to give a visual picture, it was like elephant feet. That’s how bad it was.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom