TV ads show RX prices?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just saw a TV ad for Xarelto that showed the price of $448/mo.
Knew that this was coming, but didn't expect it so soon.
Knew it was being talked about but didn't expect it this soon.

Have you seen other ads with prices.

:LOL::cool::LOL: Between pricing and showing 38 dangers from a drug that could even cause death, it makes a simple 30 second spot, a 2 minute entre acte that must cost millions... but then, they can afford it! :rolleyes:

I searched and found this blurb:

Xarelto will be the first drug to include pricing information in its TV ads, even before the Trump administration finalizes rules that will require those disclosures.
Why it matters: There's been plenty of uncertainty about how this would work and what it will look like. The administration wants drugmakers to include list prices, which most people don't pay, and critics say that could give patients an unrealistically inflated view of their costs.

How it works: The Xarelto ad, which begins running today, shows the drug's $448 per month list price, then adds that most patients pay between $0 and $47, depending on their insurance.

• Johnson & Johnson, Xarelto's manufacturer, said 75% of patients who take the drug fall within that range.

And it looks like they're in the ball park with price, but the retail is more like $540.

Attachments

• goodrxprice.jpg
    goodrxprice.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 42
I really hate the drug ads, that say "If you cannot afford it, Ask companyX how you can get your drug at no cost for qualified people".

The reality (IMHO) is that it is very misleading and probably 2 out of the USA population will qualify so the company can say how they give the drug free to people who cannot afford it.

I've always felt the same way, SS, about the manufacturer discounts: completely disingenuous.

My insurance website won't show me the full price since I'm not purchasing it, but my plan covers the drug at a price of $50 per 30 day supply or $125 for 90 day supply ($45.67 per month). I assumed it is taken once a day. Displaying the full price on advertising is of little to no help to me. Thank you, Mr. Government.

Any transparency in pharmaceutical and, hopefully soon, medical pricing is a good thing! USA one of 2 countries that allow direct to consumer drug advertising (Australia) which all of us are paying for.

I'm not not sure it will help keep prices down (since every insurance company seems to get a discount off the stated price, and what customers pay differs even more from that). But, in theory, it could help to reduce the crazy "you got a special discount" price game. If the 2 minute spot for a drug that enhances eyelashes has to say that the retail price for the drug is $5000 per month, that may be a disincentive to those people who might otherwise have twisted their doc's arm for the stuff. Maybe there will be pressure to get the stated prices lower (ditching the discounts and other subterfuge).

How it works: The Xarelto ad, which begins running today, shows the drug's $448 per month list price, then adds that most patients pay between $0 and $47, depending on their insurance.

IMHO, they should say "most patients directly pay between $0 and $47 and indirectly pay a lot lot more over time through higher insurance costs".

I don't know much about this drug or what disease it helps with. It may be worth every penny of the expense compared to the alternatives. But, I do think burying the true cost of the drug in insurance premiums is not telling the entire story.

I don't know how you tell people a price when there's no real price.

IMHO, they should say "most patients directly pay between $0 and $47 and indirectly pay a lot lot more over time through higher insurance costs".

I don't know much about this drug or what disease it helps with. It may be worth every penny of the expense compared to the alternatives. But, I do think burying the true cost of the drug in insurance premiums is not telling the entire story.

+1

Back
Top Bottom