Join Early Retirement Today

Twenty-Two Years ago Today
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Twenty-Two Years ago Today

My beeper went off and I was informed that I was second in line for a kidney/pancreas transplant. As it turns out, the first-in-line person had an illness and I was selected. It was a good match and as of today, I have had 22 years of trouble-free and happy life added to to my tally by my new kidney. The pancreas is a delicate organ and did not last, only got 8.5 wonderful years out of it. I signed up for a second pancreas and two years later got another that lasted approx eight years. I am now, yet again, a type 1 diabetic. I have three kidneys (2 OEM and one from a very good person) and two pancreases (1 OEM and one extra (The second) that has quit working).

I am extremely happy with my transplant and almost did not go through with it. I was suffering slightly from depression and the un-excreted poisons in my blood most certainly affected my thinking.

I am 64 yo and happily married since age 22. I turned down two offers of live kidney donation. One from my wife and one from a guy at work who I barely knew. I thanked them each for their gracious offer and explained that I did not want to impose my problem on them and wanted a 'Cadaveric' donation.

My good and best Doctor of ~20 years then told my wife that I was weeks away from death just about 10 days before my beeper went off. My transplant literally saved my life. I am very grateful to my donors and their families for their actions. I also had extremely good doctors for the most part. Two years ago I thanked them in a letter to each of them.

I was used twice by my transplant surgeon as an example of 'a happy and successful transplant patient' in his lunchtime continuing education classes. I think I help allay the same fears that I suffered through in at least two people.

I am happy by nature, happy that I am alive, and happy to have a really good partner in life. Back in the olden days when men could be men and there was little to no political correctness at my first office job in 1977, there was a manager who had a sign on his desk that expresses my opinion yet to this day: "I'm so happy I could just ****!"

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well that deserves a VERY BIG Congratulations.....
Old 04-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

Wonderful story!

And a great reminder of why we should all be registered as organ donors.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

MikeD
I am so happy for you and your wife. Love to hear these nice stories.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a great story. I have a friend who just had a kidney transplant so it's good to hear about your successful experience.
obsessed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
And a great reminder of why we should all be registered as organ donors.
While I believe that it's good to be an organ donor too, I don't stress it as I am obviously biased!

Quite a few people have told me that they think doctors will let you die sooner if they think they will get your organs. As one who is intimately involved with the whole process, I will tell you that this is not true.

Apparently, if you 'donate' a large sum of money to the right person or top off a building fund, you can get your liver transplant right away, despite having cancer or you can drink away additional livers and continue to get new ones (You know who was also really obnoxious about it). These instances are my personal belief and these topics are not well-received in the transplant community. Every single person who I have ever met who has had a transplant is extremely gracious and grateful. I literally would not be here today if it were not for the thoughtfulness of my two donors AND THEIR FAMILIES. It must be a very difficult decision to make under the circumstances. I appreciate my donors. I am glad they were so giving.

A whole lotta people seem to believe that doctors are in it for the money or other nefarious reasons. I have had a few Drs. who manipulated their appts and blood tests to their advantage. I switched providers after I figgered it out. I have been heavily involved with the medical system since 1960, which is when I was afflicted with Type 1 Diabetes. I have seen and almost experienced many things both good and bad.

The most important thing is to be careful about how you follow advice. When you are in the hospital and in bed, it's good to have a person to help you make decisions. I have my wife. She brings up things that I have never considered and helps to broaden my perspective.

I met the mother of my first transplant donor. She felt better after having helped donate her daughter's organs. Her daughter's organs help many people and she had met all but one of the recipients. That was an unusual meeting that I will never forget and had not ever expected to to be involved in.

I would like to add a sincere and grateful thank you to anyone who has decided to be an organ donor. As a two-time recipient, I know first-hand that it is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
A whole lotta people seem to believe that doctors are in it for the money or other nefarious reasons.
I had a friend who spent many years as an OR nurse in a kidney transplant unit, and she always said their team had one of the highest job satisfaction levels imaginable. They honestly took joy in what they did, and looked forward to the next one.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for sharing (both posts) MikeD.

My DS and I have always had D on our driver's license. DW - - - not so much.

However, about 3 years ago, I drug her kicking and screaming to a will, POA, and advance directive session with our attorney. When we got to the donor stuff, she was very squeamish, but I swayed her in the end.

Here's the money shot. DW is native born Korean. There is a strong cultural bias for many Koreans about entering the afterlife with all your mortal parts intact. She's a solid Christian woman, so some WWJD chit-chat won the day.

God bless you - - - and God bless her.

Sidebar.... Several years ago, there was a popular (but flawed) tv series about home giving that began the reveal with, "move that bus!). In a more memorable instance, they brought together the recipients of a young man's organs (normally NEVER allowed). there were 5-7 beautiful people that he gave extra years to.

How anyone could not be a donor befuddles me ( but that's easy). I'm in my 60's half blind, near deaf, had a cardiac infarction, and I've already pickled my liver. But, when they chuck my corpse in the hole, they're welcome to any serviceable parts.

Their MMW!
Old 04-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

MikeD - so glad that it worked out, and that you didn't need to take your wife's or coworker's kidney. I had a coworker who, back around 2000, donated a kidney to a complete stranger, and suffered from acute health problems related to losing the kidney ever since (more than 20 years). Enjoy life!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

What wonderful stories. Thank you so much for sharing.

DH and I have had organ donors shown on our driver's licenses for many years. I obtained the paperwork to donate my body to our university, but have not completed it yet. My DH was not in favor of this for himself or for me. I should find the paperwork and get it completed. It does stipulate that they might not take the body, if organs are missing. However, I would always want to be an organ donor first.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #11

Your story made me feel so good I could just **** !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One of the joys coming out of the school bus tragedy in Saskatchewan is the harvesting of young and healthy organs. Also the opioid crisis is also supplying young healthy organs.

Great story Mike.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am so pleased you successfully negotiated the organ-recipient journey.
It is a hard road, though. You can be designated "not quite sick enough" to get an organ, and then suddenly "sorry, you're too sick." This happened, unfortunately, to a relative of mine.

Our estate paperwork designates us as donors, and we are registered as such with the state of Maryland. The thought of one's body possibly helping numerous people, instead of going to waste, was such a powerful motivator.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I know some native-born Americans who hold similar beliefs about needing to be buried intact. I inquired, once, about the unavoidable "exceptions." Apparently there is a special celestial board, or council, that oversees exceptions based on military service, losing a limb in car accidents, hysterectomies, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
T
Here's the money shot. DW is native born Korean. There is a strong cultural bias for many Koreans about entering the afterlife with all your mortal parts intact. !
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #15

Thank you for the wonderful story!
Hope you don't find this offensive Mike...
https://youtu.be/DEhqzOeJnto

I've been a donor ever since I heard this song...
Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #16

A great story.

I have a close relative who underwent a miserable year of at-home dialysis before a successful kidney transplant in their late 70s.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #17

Whoo Hoo!
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #18

Wow, that is awesome. I read they do not remove the bad kidney, they add a new one! Did you feel wonderful right away? Is it a long journey to get better? I always worry about this since I have kidney cysts and a lower GFR.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Thank you for the wonderful story!
Hope you don't find this offensive Mike...
https://youtu.be/DEhqzOeJnto

I've been a donor ever since I heard this song...

Odd thing is, I've been on a John Prine kick the past week, watching lots of youtube videos (old and current). I have that original album, and saw Prine a couple times in the small clubs around Chicago back in the 70's.

And I thought it would be this one ("I'm still using it!"):

And yes, great story Mike, glad things have gone as well as they have. I figured I better check, and yes, I've got the "donor" label on my DL.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on your aniversary. Sounds as if you have received superior healthcare and taken great care of yourself. My hat is off to you.

My wife was a hospital laboratory manager and was on a transplant team three different times. She found it distasteful for a bunch of "black suits" coming into town to talk to the families of accident victims. One case, it was the first heart/lung transplant for a 3 year old child ever done. Their tiny Mississippi town's citizens paid a fortune for the surgery with fundraisers. When a second transplant was required, they raised another fortune. Politics were involved as he was just too sick to begin with. But medicine can never know the limitation of surgery without trying experimental procedures.

My wife was working when a terrible accident victim died on the operating table. In come the "black suits" like a pack of vultures. Sitting at the airport were 6 LearJets waited for the harvested organs. At hospitals all over, they were preparing patients for surgery. And transplant surgeons from all over were there to harvest organs. When it was all over, the operating room nurses and support staff were all crying saying it was the worst experience of their careers. Even finger sockets were harvested

But a few weeks later, they received thank you notes saying there were 17 victims that received transplants and who will lead much improved lives because of the family's making a difficult decision. And that all made it worth it.

You are one of the success stories. Unfortunately, transplants continue to be experimental as far as insurance companies go. They're getting better all the time though.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote