Unemployment may raise risk of heart attack but retirement not linked

I can understand this. Needing a job to pay the bills and not having one would be very stressful. My health (BP esp.) is way better now after 6 years of retirement. I dislike anything that gets in the way of me doing exactly what I want to do, when I wanna do it now...;)

I've been unemployed for 13 of the last 16 months. I have less stress and sleep better than I have in 15 years. I'm not FI but don't NEED to find work immediately. I can see where things would be different for a family who lives paycheck to paycheck and then loses their paycheck.

More than a few mornings running for the train made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack (or at least vomit). Glad I don't have to deal with any of that crap since I ERed 4 years ago. :)

From the article:

People who are jobless at some point during their lifetime because they were laid off, fired or quit may be at an increased risk of having a heart attack after age 50, finds a study out Monday.

Note that this means that a young person who has the above job-related stress may have heart problems later in life after the age of 50. It is a latent problem that may not manifest immediately.

It just so happened that I saw an article saying Sweden unemployment of young people under 25 being as high as 25%. I did not know Swedish youth unemployment rivaled that of Spain. Of course Greece's number is worse.

Will anyone remember to check the statistics 25 to 30 years from now? If this theory is true, these European countries will have an epidemic problem ahead of them.

PS. I remembered a statistics on nations' happiness level, which showed Scandinavian countries' rankings being fairly high. So, I checked again, and indeed Sweden ranked #5. How could that be, if its young people are jobless? These two facts seem so contradictory.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Doc!

Lowest point in my life came in 1966... three children under 7 years,. and resigned a management position without having another job. Just bought a house using all available cash for down payment, and because of resigning... no unemployment.
Came home from tenth interview (no results), and found DW crying because she dropped and broke a gallon of milk.
I think I can understand.

Back
Top Bottom