United Health completely gone from NC?

karen1972

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So while investigating health options for 2017, I realized that United Health had dropped out of the ACA marketplace, which is fine. However, what I didn't realize is that it now appears that United Health actually offers ZERO options in NC other than temporary insurance, ie I can't even buy United Health and pay the full price, there are no options available on their web site for those.

Has anyone else seen this? Its rather disturbing if that is the case as now I wonder if it may become impossible to find individual plans if I tried outside the marketplace.

So while investigating health options for 2017, I realized that United Health had dropped out of the ACA marketplace, which is fine. However, what I didn't realize is that it now appears that United Health actually offers ZERO options in NC other than temporary insurance, ie I can't even buy United Health and pay the full price, there are no options available on their web site for those.

Has anyone else seen this? Its rather disturbing if that is the case as now I wonder if it may become impossible to find individual plans if I tried outside the marketplace.

Is Kaiser Permanente available in NC? I bought Kaiser off the exchange for the past 3 years since I've ER'd and I am quite pleased with Kaiser.

UHC has also been my insurer, back from before ACA days.

Earlier this year, in April, they announced they would withdraw from most of the states, because the loss for 2016 was expected to be $650M.

Then, later, they announced that they would be gone from all states, on or off exchanges. I believe they only offer group insurance now.

Is Kaiser Permanente available in NC? I bought Kaiser off the exchange for the past 3 years since I've ER'd and I am quite pleased with Kaiser.

I don't think so but I wish it was. We aren't big consumers of healthcare and just want something simple (for now at least).

Well I know its not available in Raleigh, I did check and it gave me "we are sorry your area code is not covered, check the exchange".

I found a decent plan under Blue Cross Blue Shield that covers my doctor, so I guess that's the only option.

Stick shaking my head since I had United Health off exchange in 2015, on exchange in 2016 and really didn't expect them to just drop all individual plans.. I mean if they are saying they were losing because the exchange brought in too many sick, whats their excuse for those not on the exchange.

Wow, didn't realize that. I have them through w*rk for next year in NC. Didn't know they got out of the individual market.

Other insurers also got completely out of individual plans, on and off exchange, but only for some states.

I recall reading about BCBS getting out of Minnesota individual plans earlier. Just search the Web, and saw an article in June saying they lost $500M.

UHC has also been my insurer, back from before ACA days.

Earlier this year, in April, they announced they would withdraw from most of the states, because the loss for 2016 was expected to be $650M.

Then, later, they announced that they would be gone from all states, on or off exchanges. I believe they only offer group insurance now.

I've had UHC group since 1999, best insurance I have ever had.

This is not uncommon. I am not in NC, bit it is not unusual in other states. That pesky profit thing is having a hard time.

Here in MN, Medica is not taking any additional patients.
Medica Reaches 2017 Enrollment Limit in Minnesota - Saint Paul, MN Patch

This summer, Blue Cross decided to pull out of the individual marker place.
It was a quiet announcement that landed with a big boom: Blue Cross Blue Shield would be pulling out of Minnesota’s individual insurance market.
Blue Cross leaving MN individual insurance market

From acasignups.net:

"UnitedHealth didn’t name the Obamacare markets that it’s exiting, though regulators have confirmed at least 13 withdrawals from the 34 states where the company sold plans this year. The insurer won’t sell individual ACA plans for 2017 in states including Connecticut, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Washington, regulators confirmed on Tuesday. In at least some of those states, UnitedHealth also is withdrawing from a related small business market."

acasignups.net advertises as "Tracking enrollments for the ACA."

Not so. From the article you linked

BCBC will also sell a PPO plan that has Bluecard access outside of Mn but a limited local network.

True, but my point was that insurance carriers all over are scaling back, or eliminating, insurance plans. They are not making enough money. It's not just in NC. There may be even more next year.

The healthcare system in the USA is getting worse by the day, and is unsustainable in it's current form. We definitely need change.

The insurance carrier's parent company, which goes by the same name, will continue to sell a much more limited offering on the individual market through its Blue Plus HMO.
Blue Cross leaving MN individual insurance market

True, but my point was that insurance carriers all over are scaling back, or eliminating, insurance plans. They are not making enough money. It's not just in NC. There may be even more next year.
All we have are reports of insurers reducing their offerings of individual policies in some states. This is 8% of the US insurance market. There are no reports or evidence that this is happening with group, Medicare, or Managed Medicaid. Financial announcements by major national insurers show record, robust profits and optimism for profit growth.

The healthcare system in the USA is getting worse by the day, and is unsustainable in it's current form. We definitely need change.
What exactly do you mean by "worse"? Our healthcare system is expensive, and getting more expensive. This has been happening steadily for decades. Change would be helpful. If probably would have been easier to slow the rate of growth if we began our efforts 2 decades ago. Now, I fear, it will not be easy.

All we have are reports of insurers reducing their offerings of individual policies in some states. This is 8% of the US insurance market. There are no reports or evidence that this is happening with group, Medicare, or Managed Medicaid. Financial announcements by major national insurers show record, robust profits and optimism for profit growth.

What exactly do you mean by "worse"? Our healthcare system is expensive, and getting more expensive. This has been happening steadily for decades. Change would be helpful. If probably would have been easier to slow the rate of growth if we began our efforts 2 decades ago. Now, I fear, it will not be easy.

I think more expensive is worse. Of course maybe the increasing costs are just more realistic. You are correct, it should have began a long time ago and will likely not be fixed anytime soon. More people are concerned with the teams in the Super Bowl than healthcare.

Back
Top Bottom