Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

UPMC Health Plan Renewal with ACA
Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

UPMC Health Plan Renewal with ACA

Is anyone out there familiar with how Western Pennsylvania's UPMC Health Plan processes ACA Exchange plan renewals? I have a UPMC plan through the ACA market place (with a tax credit subsidy) in 2019. I have created a new 2020 application on Healthcare.gov and updated my expected income for 2020. I also selected the same UPMC Plan as I have in 2019, so it is to be renewed rather than me changing to a new plan. Healthcare.gov calculated a new tax credit amount and I see it reflected in the plan pricing that I should be paying UPMC starting Jan 1, 2020. The Healthcare.gov applications shows a status of "Completed".

The final page of the Healthcare.gov process says that UPMC will be contacting me to arrange payment and such. However, I have not received any word from UPMC yet. No confirming email. Nothing in the mail (it's only been 6 days, though). When I sign into the UPMC Plan website, I see no indication of my planned renewal. There is a link labeled "Future Coverage", but is says is has no future coverage info to show me.

Is this all normal? Maybe they don't do any confirmation until after the Dec 15 end of open enrollment? I guess technically, I could change to a different plan or provider until then. I use their "AutoPay" feature to pay my monthly premium, so I'm guessing that when it comes time to pay for January, that the new amount will take over. But that's just a guess. It just seems weird that they haven't contacted me yet. Last year when I first signed up, I was sent an email shortly after completing the enrollment. But last year, I had to pay the first month's premium before the plan would be activated. Anyone else have any renewal experience with them? This is my first time renewing an ACA plan.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm seeing the same thing with SelectHealth in Utah. Last year I had a link to pay my first payment. This year, no link. Nothing on SelectHealth's website indicating a new plan year. I called SelectHealth and was told that since I am already on a SelectHealth plan, I would not need to make my first payment to secure the plan -- they will just continue my Auto-Pay program.

Still, I'm like you -- I would like some sort of confirmation that the insurance company has received my ACA application.
toddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddm View Post
I'm seeing the same thing with SelectHealth in Utah. Last year I had a link to pay my first payment. This year, no link. Nothing on SelectHealth's website indicating a new plan year. I called SelectHealth and was told that since I am already on a SelectHealth plan, I would not need to make my first payment to secure the plan -- they will just continue my Auto-Pay program.

Still, I'm like you -- I would like some sort of confirmation that the insurance company has received my ACA application.
I called my provider this morning and the rep indicated they saw my continuation in their system and it reflected the right subsidized price. They had to get that subsidy info from Healthcare.gov, so I guess I'm somewhat confident. I'll be calling them one more time before December 15th to re-verify if I haven't received anything from them yet. Actually, now that I write this, I believe the invoice for January gets generated about December 10th. So I should be able to see that before open enrollment actually ends. Still, an email confirmation would be nice. Fingers crossed it's all in place.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote