US continues the decline in Retirement Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcowan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
US falls to 17th in Global Retirement Index
Canada drops out of top 10 as well.

The top 20 nations, along with their standing in last year’s
Global Retirement Index, are:

1. Norway (No. 1 in 2016)
2. Switzerland (2)
3. Iceland (3)
4. Sweden (5)
5. New Zealand (4)
6. Australia (6)
7. Germany (7)
8. Denmark (12)
9. Netherlands (8)
10. Luxembourg (13)
11. Canada (10)
12. Finland (11)
13. Austria (9)
14. Ireland (16)
15. Belgium (15)
16. Czech Republic (18)
17. United States (14)
18. United Kingdom (17)
19. France (20)
20. Israel (19)

Given the diversity of the US at the state level, what would be really interesting is to see where each state would fall on the list. I would guess that states with better healthcare systems and higher longevity (e.g. Minnesota, Vermont, etc.) would be ranked in the top 10. Would be interesting to see if any one state actually tops Norway or Switzerland. On the opposite end, I'd bet states like Mississippi and West Virginia would be way down in the 40s and 50s on the list, along with countries like India and Greece.

Seems to me to be just another provocative article.

It claims to be about "... annual retirement security index..." which could be cherry picking a set of data points based on whatever point you're trying to make.

My own prejudice (yes, I know, I know) : whenever I see the latest buzzwords "income inequality" I stop reading and turn the page.

I lived in Norway (#1). Nice place 4 months out of the year when the sun is out. Wouldn't dream of retiring there. Lived in France (#19) : would retire there in a nanosecond.

Greece or Italy didn't make this list but again, my criteria are places and cultures where the locals know how to live, enjoy the simple things and have great food.

Gee, All I have to do is move north about 400 miles to the other side of Niagara falls and be 6 spots happier.
Well, as regarding our north neighbor, I do not see any reason for their happiness other than health care system. Because in fact Canada (especially Ontario part) is pretty much the same as US in almost every aspect. But still, moving north is not easy: you need to be an investor or have close relative in order to obtain residence in Canada: otherwise, you're not qualified for happiness.

In retirement happiness, as in so many things these days, we are a stratified society. I would bet the top 10-20% of NW retirees in the US would find themselves comfortably at or near the top of that survey - while sadly (and perhaps disgracefully) the bottom 50% might prove not much more comfortable than retirees in the developing world.

Are Americans of Scandinavian decent happier on average than the overall US average?

Are Americans of Scandinavian decent happier on average than the overall US average?

I suspect so, as long as they can get their quota of lutefisk. :angel:

I look at a list like this and my basic conclusion is one of a "high class problem". I'm certain any of them would be wonderful countries for retirement living. I further suspect to retire comfortably in any of them is going to generally cost, give or take, about the same.

In retirement happiness, as in so many things these days, we are a stratified society. I would bet the top 10-20% of NW retirees in the US would find themselves comfortably at or near the top of that survey - while sadly (and perhaps disgracefully) the bottom 50% might prove not much more comfortable than retirees in the developing world.

Same as it ever was.

I further suspect to retire comfortably in any of them is going to generally cost, give or take, about the same.

When I lived in Norway a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke cost $17 and a glass of Scotch was $40.

I wonder if it has to do with whether or not the government provides for a person's retirement, or an individual has to provide for themselves. Here in the USA, we have SS to help retirement, not provide 100% of the funding.

I have heard that many other countries, provide a much better government pension.

As usual with these indexes, grain of salts apply. The top-20 or so is pretty close to each other. More important to choose your specific locale within a country of that group.

It is much better to look at the subindexes in my view. France is lower because of taxes, a not so good dependency ratio and high unemployment. The US has income inequality as a big downer.

Full report here: https://ngam.natixis.com/us/resources/2017-global-retirement-index

Also, don't knock the Czech republic! It is a great place.

Well, as regarding our north neighbor, I do not see any reason for their happiness other than health care system. Because in fact Canada (especially Ontario part) is pretty much the same as US in almost every aspect. But still, moving north is not easy: you need to be an investor or have close relative in order to obtain residence in Canada: otherwise, you're not qualified for happiness.

I respectfully beg to disagree with you on the bolded point, having lived in both countries.

I also disagree with you on Canada's immigration system, which favours people with in-demand skills.

Last edited:
Decline in retirement happiness? They sure didn't ask ME about it.. :D

Louisiana and Mississippi always seem to be at the bottom of all the "good lists", and at the top of all the "bad lists". But despite that fact, retirement is heaven on earth for me, and also affordable here in Louisiana.

Apparently the person that did this survey hasn't talked to me or RobbieB! It must be a sad life having to come up with articles and surveys looking to depress people. Everything seems to be gloom and doom in the media. I think retirement in the United States is wonderful and I strongly recommend it to everyone I know that is nearing the end of their working years.

Well, what if Canadian and American retirees are not less happy than before, but other countries are getting happier?
That would indicate that the United States is stagnating while other nations are ascending.

That would indicate that the United States is stagnating while other nations are ascending.
We will be catching up soon, with all those laws legalizing MJ.

Never tried it, but in movies I always saw old people giggling after doing a joint. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom