Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Wait one cottin pickin minute!!!

Pizza is not junk food. Not if it is made right.

Healthy pizza is alive and well. One simply has to make it at home.
Sorry to offend your home-made pizza.

Did I mention they mostly eat out? We ate out. Even if we had the restaurant "make it right," our friends would protest. That's part of my point.

It was already mentioned quite a bit earlier in this thread how restaurant food is contributing to this problem.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #282
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We love our homemade pizza......in fact it's on the menu for tomorrow night......broccoli, onion, tomato, green pepper, olives, and a variety of cheeses...gives us at least three meals:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #283
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My home made pizza has a 50% whole wheat crust (I use Einkorn I grind myself). The crust is thin but not overly so. You can still pick up a properly cooked slice and not have it sag. I use home made sauce, a thin coating of tasty cheese that is spread evenly over the sauce, and various veggies as the topping. Sometimes I toss in a few paper-thin slices of prosciutto to add some extra flavor.
But you DO stuff the crust with cheese and serve with cheezy garlic breadsticks on the side, right? Seriously- your version sounds wonderful. Just enough crust to support a load of yummy vegetables!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #284
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
But you DO stuff the crust with cheese and serve with cheezy garlic breadsticks on the side, right? Seriously- your version sounds wonderful. Just enough crust to support a load of yummy vegetables!
Sadly, what athena said is exactly what we had. With extra cheese!

Vegetables? Hardly.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #285
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I was commenting on this when my computer crashed. I am in agreement that BMI is one general look at the "obesity" issue but has limitations described above. I made a decision to put on some more muscle mass this year so I can continue to do strenuous tasks around the house. So, my BMI took a tick up. I would be more interested in muscle/fat ratios.
The problem is that the computer systems used determine if you are overweight based on BMI. If your BMI is over 25 your report automatically states "overweight" and puts you in a risk factor category for heart disease.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We love our homemade pizza......in fact it's on the menu for tomorrow night......broccoli, onion, tomato, green pepper, olives, and a variety of cheeses...gives us at least three meals:

Looks good!. For veggie pizza, try using a creamy garlic sauce using olive and truffle oil, salt, pepper and garlic instead of the tomato sauce. Put the cheese on top of the sauce and then your vegetable toppings. I usually use the following toppings:

Artichoke hearts, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, and zucchinni squash.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #287
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Looks good!. For veggie pizza, try using a creamy garlic sauce using olive and truffle oil, salt, pepper and garlic instead of the tomato sauce. Put the cheese on top of the sauce and then your vegetable toppings. I usually use the following toppings:

Artichoke hearts, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, and zucchinni squash.
Ooops, forgot that we already add garlic & mushrooms to ours, don't think either of us has ever tried truffle oil though........(I'll buy/rent a pig tomorrow and go dig up some. ).

Artichoke hearts...have had them grilled/baked with cheese/mayo stuffing, (IIRC), very rich, quite addictive, (and heavy on calories), that way....never tried them on pizza though.

Zucchini....interesting....we grill/sauté it quite often for tortilla wraps, and, since it absorbs flavors from just about everything around it, put it in meatless chili, burritos, cottage pie, lasagna, etc, but have never thought to add it to pizza.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #288

Of course a thread on the obesity epidemic turns to sharing recipes and food.[emoji23]
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #289
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Of course a thread on the obesity epidemic turns to sharing recipes and food.[emoji23]
"Be stirring as the time; be fire with fire;
Threaten the threatener and outface the brow
Of bragging horror"

William Shakespeare

Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #290
Give me a forum ...

But...but...it's healthy food. Much like a LBYM thread turns to tales of how we save money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same. I was on the slow climb up. Every 3-5 years I needed to buy the next size pants. Finally, I tried eliminating sugar and lost 10 pounds without doing anything else to control what and how much I ate. Then I went to a lower-carb diet (about 70-100 g of carbs a day). I lost another 15 pounds for a grand total of 25 pounds. I literally rolled my weight back 10 years, maybe more. I gained about 5 pounds back in 6 months, but have stayed steady since then.

I realize that what was relatively easy for me may be very hard for others. Individual metabolism makes a huge difference. I think the best route is for a person to eat good, real food (little sugar and processed foods) , exercise and let their body be what it is. Unless one has a diagnosed medical condition that affects weight, there is not much else we can do.
That was almost precisely my experience. I dropped my candy addiction and lost about 10. Then went LCHF like you ~ 75 grams/day and lost another 25. I slowly added rice and potatoes back in and am at homeostasis now. I can crank it up a bit for a few days (candy or splurging at restaurants) and add a couple of pounds. Cut back a bit on the carbs and I am right back at 162. Never hungry. Never count calories.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #292
Give me a forum ...

Perfectly illustrates the concept of "eating below your means." You could eat more (or different) stuff, but you choose not to.

I'm thinking that for some people, LBYM (resisting unnecessary spending) is as hard for them, as EBYM is for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
That was almost precisely my experience. I dropped my candy addiction and lost about 10. Then went LCHF like you ~ 75 grams/day and lost another 25. I slowly added rice and potatoes back in and am at homeostasis now. I can crank it up a bit for a few days (candy or splurging at restaurants) and add a couple of pounds. Cut back a bit on the carbs and I am right back at 162. Never hungry. Never count calories.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #293

I eat a lot of nuts. They don't help with weight loss but they are healthy for you. This is why I'm not aggressively want to lose weight. But if I want to, I can just feast on salad and sardines for lunch, either that a light rice soup for a week, keep the same dinner. I did this when I ran out of food, too lazy to go shopping for food, and the pounds just melt away.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #294
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Artichoke hearts, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, and zucchini squash.
Also sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, goat cheese and for my portion pepperoni or salchicha.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #295
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Also sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, goat cheese and for my portion pepperoni or salchicha.
Pizza. My favorite health food. I've enjoyed all the above ingredients, in different combinations, and many others not yet named. All good. Except salchicha - haven't had that option yet, but it's now on my list.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #296
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Sorry to offend your home-made pizza.
No offense taken. I entirely get your point.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #297
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Sadly, what athena said is exactly what we had. With extra cheese!

Vegetables? Hardly.
I wonder what your friends would think if they wen to Rome or Naples and had a real Italian pizza - thin crust, a smearing of sauce, a light thin layer of cheese and a few roasted veggies on top. (Not one of those adulterated pineapple/canadian-bacon monstrosities they make for tourists.) I see your point. But, like my old grand pappy used to say "Control of others is an illusion".

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder what your friends would think if they wen to Rome or Naples and had a real Italian pizza - thin crust, a smearing of sauce, a light thin layer of cheese and a few roasted veggies on top. (Not one of those adulterated pineapple/canadian-bacon monstrosities they make for tourists.) I see your point. But, like my old grand pappy used to say "Control of others is an illusion".
They would be unhappy if it didn't have hamburger or sausage on it. I know for a fact.

However, YOU are making me HUNGRY.

I love Chicago deep dish. It is a calorific/carbonific/fatinific bomb. After a visit to Italy, my cousin got into pizza making and had an authentic oven built in his back yard. His trip to Italy affected him so much, he even imports a bunch of ingredients (something about the crust). He makes them as you describe, almost a quick flash bake in that hot oven. Oh man, are they GOOD!
Old 04-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #299
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wait one cottin pickin minute!!!

Pizza is not junk food. Not if it is made right.

Anything can be turned into junk food in the hands of modern food technology, just look at yogurt.

My home made pizza has a 50% whole wheat crust (I use Einkorn I grind myself). The crust is thin but not overly so. You can still pick up a properly cooked slice and not have it sag. I use home made sauce, a thin coating of tasty cheese that is spread evenly over the sauce, and various veggies as the topping. Sometimes I toss in a few paper-thin slices of prosciutto to add some extra flavor. OK, if the kids are having pizza I toss some pepperoni on top.

Unfortunately, I'm avoiding wheat (and relatives), so pizza is out, as are most baked goods. And I don't really like "fakes" - attempts to recreate something like pizza dough out of non-wheat grains.