Join Early Retirement Today

Using Slim Fast to diet???
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Using Slim Fast to diet???

Has anyone here done the Slim Fast diet? I think you drink 3 of them a day and then have a meat and salad meal at night. Any opinions?

I did buy a 4 pack and drank one this morning to try it. Much to my surprise it was super thick and pretty decent tasting...not great mind you...it isn't a regular milk shake no matter what they say.

One gal I knew did it years ago, and it did work for her. But anyone here try it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

I've done it, and just about everything else you can think of. You will loose weight, and you will gain it back when you stop. If you can live the rest of your life on Slim Fast, maybe, but when I went back to regular food, I had not changed the way I ate, and so I gained the weight back.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Rustic23. I have tried it along with every other diet scheme out there. I lose weight and then gain it back as soon as I start eating regular food again. I sometimes drink the Adkins shakes. I prefer them to Slimfast because they are low in sugar and have more protein. They tend to curb my hunger a little better.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #4

It works for me. That's breakfast most days.

But it does require the ability to ignore the hunger pangs that show up a few hours later. Becoming engrossed in something helps.

One incentive is that I get on the scale every day, and was disappointed this morning to discover that I'm one pound over my self-allowed maximum weight of 150 lbs. So harsher measures are now called for.

Unfortunately, I've also recently found that Betty Crocker now makes gluten-free mixes for chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies. The chocolate cake for lunch today probably didn't help.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Way too much sugar in them for me. They do have lower carb shakes now that might be OK. But I have a minor in chemistry and I can't pronounce half the ingredients they list. Probably mostly stabilizers and such, but other than water I didn't see a single ingredient that occurs in nature. And I couldn't swear to the water.

Slim-Fast French Vanilla Shake
Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

A couple of chocolate Slim Fasts wash down a cheeseburger & fries pretty good! burp!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Your body will adapt to your long term eating and exercising behavior. So you are what you are today because of how you ate and moved in the past [few years]. Do you foresee living on slim fast in the future? Consider that most/all of these preprocessed diet solutions are just a very expensive form of portion control.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I tried it years ago back in grad school, where I renamed it "Fat Fast". At least, for me that was the result.

If sugar triggers your hunger, this product will have an effect that is the reverse of what is desired since it is loaded with sugar.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Administrator

I did slimfast about 10 years ago and lost about 20lbs, which was about 10% of my body weight. However, I couldn't stick on the diet forever and after going back to things I liked to eat I put back all the weight I'd lost plus 10lb more.

For me I needed a change in diet that I could live with over the long run.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Your body will adapt to your long term eating and exercising behavior. So you are what you are today because of how you ate and moved in the past [few years]. Do you foresee living on slim fast in the future? Consider that most/all of these preprocessed diet solutions are just a very expensive form of portion control.
Exactly.
For a lifestyle change that will keep the excess weight off, portion control is the only legitimate answer, IMHO.

Sounds easy, but it's not. Effective, though.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Has anyone here done the Slim Fast diet? I think you drink 3 of them a day and then have a meat and salad meal at night. Any opinions?

I did buy a 4 pack and drank one this morning to try it. Much to my surprise it was super thick and pretty decent tasting...not great mind you...it isn't a regular milk shake no matter what they say.

One gal I knew did it years ago, and it did work for her. But anyone here try it?
Never tried Slim Fast Orchid. I have been successful in losing quite a bit of weight this past year by cutting way back on carbs and sugar and loading up on veggies and salad. Plus, I've been more active. Losing weight has been hard for me due to thyroid issues. IMHO, weight loss plans work best when you think of a permanent change in diet and activity levels.

Thank goodness my kitties think I'm beautiful regardless of my dress size
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Eat real food. Not too much...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #13

I tried it many years ago. They were filling at first but then I'd be famished before it was time for the next one.

For me there was another odd side effect. It triggered a cleaning obsession. I'm not kidding. I started vacuuming daily and dusting and scrubbing. It was really odd.

I lost weight but it did not stay off.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looking at the ingredient list that thing looks awful. You'd do WAY better getting the 180 calories it provides as a pile of vegetables. If you really want a shake and don't need it to be easily portable, making your own protein shakes is pretty easy and tasty.

My ~300 calorie protein shake recipe:
1 scoop of protein powder (I like egg and whey, but whatever)
1 frozen banana
4oz of skim milk
dash of vanilla extract
Blend and drink.

Tasty, cold, filling, provides plenty of protein and carbs (yeah fructose unfortunately, but at least the milk is glucose/galactose) and not loaded with garbage.

As far as diets go, eliminating processed sugar (anything that has sucrose as an ingredient, or high fructose corn syrup), fruit juices (fruits are fine, their juice is generally not) and anything made with partially hydrogenated oil (not so much because the oils are scary but because it eliminates huge swaths of things that are unhealthy to eat because it gets used in so much cheap food) and you are well underway to eating more healthily. If you really need to, start calorie counting, and emphasize vegetables in your diet to maximize the amount of fiber/bulk you are getting, and make sure to get enough fat in each meal to trigger your satiety response.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
For me there was another odd side effect. It triggered a cleaning obsession. I'm not kidding. I started vacuuming daily and dusting and scrubbing. It was really odd.
This is good to know. If I ever get another live-in pal, I'll learn to make her SlimFast mai-tais and hope for this effect.

Any unexpected libido changes?

Ha
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Try adding seaweed to your diet for a positive change is this direction
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #17

What I was going for by drinking these Slim Fasts is to shrink my stomach (OK, I know your stomach doesn't really shrink--and, yes, my boring BIL who's a vascular surgeon explained all this to me--but I understand the phrase "shrinking my stomach").
If I can start eating less I can do better on my portions. If I can get those portions in control I should lose weight. I love veggies and fruit and eat basically chicken and fish, so I eat healthy overall despite the sideways move to a bag of M&M's occasionally....OK, more than occasionally then.

I wish I had some excuse like thyroid problems, but seems my only problem is I love food. And I eat like a famine is coming and I have to store up fast. And I never watch calories as in "I don't need no stink'n calorie watching" cause I'm plowing it in so fast or, as my son asks, "How long did you do time for?"

But I have two large walk-in closets loaded with expensive size 10's now...and I ain't. Can we say: Oops!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is good to know. If I ever get another live-in pal, I'll learn to make her SlimFast mai-tais and hope for this effect.

Ha
Yes, for sure. But I couldn't act on it because the bedding was wrinkled, the glassware in the cupboard had to be aligned, the silverware had to be precisely stacked and the couch cushions needed to be fluffed to look casual but identical. And if I saw a dust bunny before bed I had to do one more run through the house with the dust mop.

It was the strangest side effect I've ever experienced. I actually started to feel loony.

Once I stopped the Slim Fast I went back to my normal self.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Yes, for sure. But I couldn't act on it because the bedding was wrinkled, the glassware in the cupboard had to be aligned, the silverware had to be precisely stacked and the couch cushions needed to be fluffed to look casual but identical. And if I saw a dust bunny before bed I had to do one more run through the house with the dust mop.

It was the strangest side effect I've ever experienced. I actually started to feel loony.

Once I stopped the Slim Fast I went back to my normal self.
Completely hysterical. You are a great comic Sue J!

Ha
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I also lost weight this year . I cut back on carbs and stopped any eating between meals .I met my weight loss goal and a great side affect has been that I get full sooner so I automatically eat smaller portions . Okay now back on topic , I never tried slim fast a liquid would never do it for me i need real food.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote