Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Brewer's yeast should always be taken in its most natural form, as the product of a good brewery.
I like your style of thinking.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Ideally, I think it's best to get vitamins and minerals from food, but that's not realistic for lots of people. ...
Why not?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
And a part of me believes that there must be something to a multi-vitamin because I recently tested with high levels of B-12 (my multivitamin provides over 100% of this) and there is no way I could have reached these levels on my own with my diet (vegan; most vegans are deficient in B-12).
Thanks for sharing this. I haven't eaten red meat or poultry since 1976 and last year I went vegan. I have been supplementing with Emergen-C powder packets from Costco.

I think I will ask my doctor to test me for B-12 when I go in for my annual physical in January.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why not?

-ERD50
Because most people eat the standard American diet, for whatever reason (preference, lack of time or interest in cooking or seeking out proper nutrition). Aren't French fries the #1 veggie most people eat? And how many people cook their own food rather than just eating out or heating up processed food? Even though they insist on big "gourmet/professional" kitchens, they still don't want to cook (or eat well)...
Old 12-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
A fellow I knew,used to say, you do know what fish do in water? He was single malt afficionado.
Wow, you knew W.C. Fields?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Even if you eat only "healthy" foods (and what are those healthy foods, anyway? Just read the various dietary threads on this forum to get totally confused on that score!) unless you are also very active, you may not be able to consume enough nutrients without gaining weight. A petite elderly woman might need only 1,500 calories a day.

Amethyst

Quote:
Because most people eat the standard American diet, for whatever reason (preference, lack of time or interest in cooking or seeking out proper nutrition). Aren't French fries the #1 veggie most people eat? And how many people cook their own food rather than just eating out or heating up processed food? Even though they insist on big "gourmet/professional" kitchens, they still don't want to cook (or eat well)...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Quote:
... Ideally, I think it's best to get vitamins and minerals from food, but that's not realistic for lots of people. ...
Why not?

-ERD50
Quote:
A couple things - first, you changed the goal posts from your original statement. I questioned your statement that getting vitamins from their food is 'not realistic for lots of people'. What is realistic to achieve is different than what 'most people are doing'.

That's like saying it isn't realistic to LBYM since many do not.

Second, I really don't know just how deficient in vitamins and minerals a typical diet is, or what it would take to augment it. As others have said, just what is a 'healthy' diet? And does adding vitamins and minerals in pill form really help, or does the benefit come from the food that contains those vitamins/minerals?

-ERD50
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #28

Without a strong preference for mashed yeast and alfalfa sprouts (Annie Hall), vegans and some vegetarians on an unsupplemented diet are at risk for B-12 deficiency. Also vitamin D if they live in a northern climate and/or are sun shy.
The typical american diet is fotified with vitamins.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

ERD, you're right---I shouldn't have said it's not realistic---it's a very realistic goal and worthwhile endeavor to get good nutrition. What I should have said is that most people don't seem to be setting optimal nutrition as a goal and/or striving to achieve it....
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I used to take large amounts of vitamins and other supplements. After a lot of reading, have stopped as they ran out. Think I will keep up with the daily senior multiple.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD, you're right---I shouldn't have said it's not realistic---it's a very realistic goal and worthwhile endeavor to get good nutrition. What I should have said is that most people don't seem to be setting optimal nutrition as a goal and/or striving to achieve it....
OK, I'd go along with that, with the caveat that I don't think we have a good handle on what 'good nutrition' is.

-ERD50
Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

No. Vitamins are not worth it. Get your vitamins from FOOD and from the SUN (if you can).

Regarding "optimal nutrition" I say go 80/20. Eat right 80% of the time and eat "wrong" 20% of the time.

"Optimal nutrition" tastes yucky.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #33

I would only follow AAFP's recommendations regarding vitamins.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wow, you knew W.C. Fields?
Did not know it was his line.

Eh, so he used it without giving credit. Shocking I tell ya.

By the way my favorite W.C. Fields line: Step aside boy, you draw flies!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bee pollen.

I eat bee pollen. It has every nutrient, mineral phytonutrient, fatty acids etc in it. Research it's composition. It has everything the human body needs all in organic form. Also it's cheap as dirt. I buy 5 lbs a time for 50 bucks then Freeze it. If you not allergic to it and want every supplement on your shelf all at once in a natural way I'd say its the best you can do. It makes me feel like superman
Damienqwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damienqwerty View Post
I take bee pollen....... It makes me feel like superman
Better check to see if your are growing a set of wings and a stinger...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Does it give you a buzz?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Does it give you a buzz?
A stinging but bumbling response.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I used to take only a baby aspirin a day and nothing else. Recently, while recovering from surgeries and not having my usual diet, I took a multivitamin pill to make sure I had enough and that was it. Not a vegan, but I normally eat huge amounts of vegetable. My salad plate often looks like what you would feed a family of four. It is not for health reasons as much as I need it as a non-caloric filler to satisfy my voracious appetite and not gain weight (BMI of 23 as I speak).

My mother-in-law is a vegan and my wife gets her some B-12 to make sure she is not deficient. Recently, out of curiosity I looked at the label, and holy mackerel, each pill supplies something like 1000X the recommended daily requirement! I asked my wife if she knew if this was really needed. So, we switched to something that was a mere 100X the requirement.

One of my relatives had vitamin D deficiency that caused her a lot of health problems, until her doctor figured this out. She had been avoiding the sun, and did not spend enough time outdoors. How could one expect vitamin D deficiency in a young person in a place where the sun shines 99% of the time? Obviously, if she had taken a multivitamin pill a day, it would save her from much misery and expenses too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Also vitamin D if they live in a northern climate and/or are sun shy.
The typical american diet is fotified with vitamins.
I live in Arizona and golf (walking) at least 3 times a week and during my last blood test my vitamin D was low so the Doctor told me to start taking vitamin D supplements. I've read conflicting reports about the effects of sunscreen and Vitamin D absorption but even those of us in the sunny south need to be on the watch.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote