Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
I was in the best shape of my life when I lived in China and Hong Kong. I ate a lot (and the food there is far from healthy) and drank lots of beer, yet actually lost weight.

So, you didn't eat a traditional Chinese diet? Sounds pretty healthy to me.

"Indeed, the traditional Chinese diet is far healthier than the traditional American diet, which often features meat as the focus of the meal, says T. Colin Campbell, PhD, professor of nutritional biochemistry at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y."

"Unlike the meat-heavy plates featured in many Chinese restaurants in the U.S., the traditional Chinese diet consists mainly of plant foods, small amounts of fish and poultry, and only occasionally red meat, says Campbell, the director of the Cornell-China-Oxford Project on Nutrition, Health, and Environment, a long-term study comparing the diets of rural China with average American ones. He has been tracking the eating habits of people living in 100 Chinese rural villages since the early 1980s."

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/chinese-secret#1

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #62

In order to lose weight walking alone won't do it. Your consumption of food is key if you want to lose weight, like most have already stated.

Doesn't the body need ~1800 calories a day to maintain your weight and for health reasons

So, if a person walked 5 miles a day ~ 400 to 500 calories are burned in just that one activity.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It takes me 40 to 45 minutes to walk 5000 steps with the dog on the golf course. It's a pretty good walk tho as it's up and down hills. But to get to 10k steps you have to devote a lot more time to it than I desire. I also play golf(riding) 3-4 times a week and ride my bike everyday when at my condo on the coast. I get a lot more exercise there as I ride 1.5 hours and moving pretty fast. This time of the year when I'm done I'm soaking wet and my legs really feel the workout. So I may not reach the numbers that are set by some barometers but I think I do ok. I've got to work on my diet tho. Too many bad snacks.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's the food + calorie tracking + walking.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #65

I disagree with calorie counting as essential for weight loss; lots of people just change what they eat and when they eat and pounds come off.

I don't think you can win the battle against appetite by knowing how many calories you consume or expend. Short term battles are easy to win, but long term, the war will be lost if that's your only strategy.

Your micribiome can make it nearly impossible to shed weight. It can be changed, but takes a long time of training with a consistent set of food choices and feeding schedule. Obviously a Twinkie-based micribiome is not a natural, plant-based, micribiome.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #66

Calories in/calories out works for me. Just saying. Also walk three miles every morning but sad to see from this thread that it doesn't help with weight control.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Calories in/calories out works for me. Just saying. Also walk three miles every morning but sad to see from this thread that it doesn't help with weight control.
That's just saying that a mere 300 calories of exercise a day only helps a little bit with weight control. I would not call that sad.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I have a Garmin sport watch. It estimates the amount of calories I use a day. I guess from my weight, height, and heart rate it estimates the calories I use while not performing some activity like running, cycling, walking, swimming, .... So far today it estimates that I have 45 active calories which makes sense since I've been laying around. My resting calories (BMR) are about 1800 calories a day. I don't count "calories in" at all, but I do weigh myself every day.

Does anybody else use a watch to get a number for resting calories? Do you believe the number?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have a Garmin sport watch. It estimates the amount of calories I use a day. I guess from my weight, height, and heart rate it estimates the calories I use while not performing some activity like running, cycling, walking, swimming, .... So far today it estimates that I have 45 active calories which makes sense since I've been laying around. My resting calories (BMR) are about 1800 calories a day. I don't count "calories in" at all, but I do weigh myself every day.

Does anybody else use a watch to get a number for resting calories? Do you believe the number?
My Apple Watch 5 does a BMR type of calculation called a "resting" energy calculation (normally around 2,100 calories). It also does an "active" energy calculation which I'm guessing is based on steps taken and other intentional exercise. In my case, it's usually around 300cals but I do very little intentional exercise. Added together they equal around 2,400cal per day which is very close to my actual TDEE calculated using my actual calories consumed over the last two years. I use MyFitnessPal to keep track of calories - haven't missed a day in the last two years.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks, I have peeked at that thread occasionally. I'll have to look at it again. If I could lose 20 pounds or so, I would be thrilled.
I have lost 35 Lbs since March, 2020 (210 Lbs to 174 Lbs) by changing my diet to 100% plant based diet and eliminating carbs from grains (bread, wheat, white rice etc). Also changed exercise routine to include Squats, yoga, push ups, planks and walking only 20 minutes a day but adding 10 minutes of stairs after each meal. I am feeling good and full of energy but now must go buy all new clothes.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Walking for weight loss?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #71

Walking for weight loss?

Down about 30lbs, 2 pant sizes since I started walking 1 hour and a bit each day. Gave up all liquor, wine and eat carefully on a smaller plate. Gave up diet soda will have naturally flavored seltzer like zero calls. Walk early in the day...once done I am feeling great all day.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #72

To calorie count or not probably depends on where you’re starting from. If you have lots of easy stuff to cut (sweetened drinks, desserts, etc...) then just going low carb and avoiding some foods can make a huge difference.

Personally, I’d already cut the easy stuff years ago and we eat pretty healthfully, so it’s taken calorie counting to figure out where the hidden pitfalls are in my diet. (Olive oil, I’m looking at you!) I was pretty shocked when I saw the total calorie content on some of our favorite healthy meals.
tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Down about 30lbs, 2 pant sizes since I started walking 1 hour and a bit each day. Gave up all liquor, wine and eat carefully on a smaller plate. Gave up diet soda will have naturally flavored seltzer like zero calls. Walk early in the day...once done I am feeling great all day.
Giving up alcohol (assuming you drink regularly) is possibly the highest-impact change one can make to their diet to lose weight. I used to be big into craft beer and later realized a beer I drank all the time had like 250 calories in a pint!

At least 250 calories of high quality ice cream will have some protein, calcium, fiber, and traces of other nutrients - and it fills you up to some degree...
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Here’s the thing—I have never eaten a lot. But I know cutting carbs works. I’m down 5 lbs since Sunday just by cutting carbs and sloppily doing IF. Now I’m motivated to not be sloppy.
vafoodie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
a beer I drank all the time had like 250 calories in a pint!
Back when I ran a lot, I used to use it as a quick calculator. I knew that every three miles I ran would give me one completely guilt-free beer that evening.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #76

When calories are consumed is just as important as to how many.

Your body will get its energy first from what is in your gut. If you are consuming three meals a day and maybe a snack too, your gut never fully empties so your body is just on cruise control. If, however, you let your gut go empty, usually after about 16 hours of non consumption, your body will then turn to its fat stores. This is the beauty of intermittent fasting. The pounds will come off.

As to alcohol. I lost 14 lbs intermittent fasting while still consuming beer and wine in moderation. The problem with alcohol is what you end up consuming in addition to the alcohol. LOL.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

My last two lipid panels stunk. I thought I had figured it out after the first one and then the second was worse, total cholesterol 250+.

My PCP assured me saturated fat was the problem and to reduce it. After logging my food into MFP I could see where it came from heavy cream, ice cream, brookside chocolate and outshine chocolate covered strawberry popsicles were all off limits. After 12 weeks my total cholesterol was 160!

I didn't replace the calories from the junk and 16 weeks later I'm down 15 pounds. I'm struggling to figure out how to add 500 calories a day of "healthy" foods.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

About 9 years ago, at age 58, I found myself wheezing when laying in bed at night, struggling to bend over to tie my shoes and at 5'11", tipping the scales at 198. My doctor put it succinctly, LOSE WEIGHT. I signed up for a 5K with DSIL and started walking on a treadmill DGF hung arts and crafts on in the basement. Two months to train and I just barely didn't die. Kept walking and progressed to running for the first time in my life since my annual Air Force fitness testing. Signed up for the same 5K the next year and the Georgia Peachtree Roadrace 10K. Came closer to death as the 10K was on July 4 and somewhat muggy.
I've been running ever since on my trusty treadmill. I've run as much as 7 miles a day but usually 5 miles (thus my user name) until my weight dropped to a low of 157. Doctor said stop losing weight. He is so predictable. The motor on my treadmill is screaming when I fire it up but I think i can get a few more miles out of it.

For the last few years I have leveled out at 176 lbs which I feel is perfect for me and continue to eat garbage as my habits never truly change that much. I run 5 days a week for between 3.5 and 3.75 miles each day so I don't lose so much weight. Yes, my friends hate me for it. I am the oldest of our little group of 7 by 3 to 9 years but am the most active by far. I can also add that it has brought all my labs back into line as my doctor had been talking cholesterol meds for a while but stopped when my numbers improved. Blood pressure not so much. It's a family curse.
5Miler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

I think it was Gary Taubes that wrote, in one of his books, that eating one M&M, or was it two... I can't remember. Anyway, if you ate one or two "extra" M&M's every day for a couple of years, a normal weight person would become obese. I'm probably getting the exact details wrong, but the principle is what stuck with me. The measures of calories from food are just estimates (it depends on how your body processes the food). And your resting metabolism changes in big swings too. For instance, when I'm fasting, my heart rate during sleep is significantly lower than if I'm not fasted. So estimated calories obtained from food is a very rough estimate, and calories consumed from resting metabolism is also a very rough estimate. So the whole idea of calories in / calories out might be valid, but the numbers are so bad, it's a GIGO situation.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote