Join Early Retirement Today

Walking for weight loss
Old 12-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Walking for weight loss

If anyone has lost weight by walking and diet, can you please share your strategy?
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eat less, especially less carbs. Walk at least 3 miles most days of the week. Try and take the "up hill/down hill" route if you have one in your neighborhood. My results were immediate.

NOTE: I was never actually overweight but at 40 was no longer the "skinny guy" I had always been and I knew from observation that just telling myself "After all, , I'm not a kid anymore... yabba yabba yabba.." and accepting it, is how every single middle aged overweight person gets started. If I were a young person using that kind of reasoning I'd be getting a lecture about "making excuses.... yabba... yabba ... yabba.

If one is actually overweight I would expect the results to be even more impressive at least at the start
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have found (for me) that the food I eat is for the size of my body, and the exercise I do is for the shape of my body. So, when I cut out alcohol and eat mainly vegetables with a small amount of lean protein, I can drop weight pretty quickly.

That being said, a daily walk will help you in so many ways, perhaps even a bit of weight loss depending on how much you want to lose. I would start out doing what is comfortable and work your way up. So, start with 1 mile, and work your way up to 3-4 miles. Overdo it and you stand the chance to lose interest pretty quickly.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walking and exercise are great for health. No doubt about that.

But, like my grand pappy used to say - '"You can't outrun your diet". IOW, don't count on any exercise for significant weight loss.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Best weight loss strategy for me was/is intermittent fasting.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Most weight loss (and preferably fat loss, which most diets do not target very well, leading to loss of lean muscle mass and counting that as a win on the scale) is the result of 85% dietary changes, and 15% exercise.

Sure, if you are a sloth now, and take up walking, it will help and you might drop a pound or two, but unless you refocus your overall diet it won't be substantial.

I view walking as a warm up, and good for just getting blood flow, light cardio.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have lost 20 lbs since Aug walking but I am also counting macros and calories. I learned that I was not eating enough protein, which burns more calories than fat or carbs.

I googled macros and calories and set those both at my "goal weight", which was about 30 lbs to lose total.

I started walking at least 5000 steps a week and upped that to 10000 steps at least 5 days a week after 6 weeks.

Biggest thing for me is to log EVERYTHING i put in my mouth. I was surprised how much sampling I did cooking for example.MY Fitness Pal is great for this. I weigh in during the week, but log my weekly weight on Saturday mornings. If I had a good week, I cut myself a little slack over the weekend.

I decided to take a break at Thanksgiving through New Year's due to gatherings etc, but have continued logging food and doing the steps. Upped the calories to "maintenance" duiring this time at the weight I am at and have maintained. I'll be back at it after New Years to lose the last 10 lbs. SO WORTH THE EFFORT
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm using walking more as part of a maintenance plan since I quit the gym. I have a treadmill at home, which helps- weather is no excuse! I also do low-impact cardio workouts with YouTube videos.

I highly recommend a FitBit watch or something similar. You input your age, height, weight, etc. on-line and it tracks your heart rate, calorie burn, steps, etc. It will show you rather quickly what others have said- it won't compensate for a bad diet! My half-hour treadmill workout at 3.8 MPH and slight elevation burned 160 calories. According to myfitnesspal.com that's about 15 Doritos. My "low-impact" cardio workout (didn't feel low-impact to me!) burned 285 calories in an hour. I can burn hundreds of calories on an 18-mile bike ride but it's still very easy to undo by choosing the wrong foods.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
If anyone has lost weight by walking and diet, can you please share your strategy?
You will have to walk 7-10 miles per day to see any weight loss results from walking. Cycling is a better way to lose calories and weight. A good approach would be to mix walking/hiking, running, and cycling.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've been walking more than 10,000 steps per day this year. Mostly while hiking, but I have been walking on the treadmill a couple times a week lately.

I gained about 25 lbs last winter after foot surgery late Nov 2020. Restarted hiking in mid Jan, lost a little weight and started running early May. Lost the 25 lbs by July. Quit running Sept. due to back problems. Then started lifting weights a couple of times a week. Also been biking during the summer. Only gained a couple of lbs since I stopped running, yet maintaining 10,000 steps per day.

But diet is the key. I eat terrible, and I'm at 187 lbs now with slightly high blood pressure. Plan is to start eating healthy Jan 1 and maintain 10,000 steps per day. Based on previous spurts of good eating mixed with exercise, I expect to lose 10 lbs or so the first month.

So my advice is the same as my doctor gave me - cross training with a healthy diet.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It’s better to just not eat it, than it is to have to work it off.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:07 PM   #12

Lots of good advice. One more thought. If you can make your motor vehicle your second choice for getting from place to place. Do your exercise but build on it. It’s really transportation. Once you internalize that, it will feel like a nice commute vs excessive exercise.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped working August 2019 and have lost 36# and had best readings at my Doctor's appointment last week. Last 2 years of work was challenging and the pounds went on.

Walking varies from 2-6 miles per day depending on weather/commitments and have more time for manual projects, gyms are not my thing. My success probably was more from cutting way back on deserts/snacks/soda and serving sizes. If we eat out we usually skip the next meal or at least cut the portion significantly.

So far after 28 months my weight is holding steady.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Eat less, especially less carbs. Walk at least 3 miles most days of the week...
This. When I was 40 I felt I needed to lose weight (25-30 lb), and was able to. Over the years my weight crept back up, and at 50 I did the same thing. Now at 61 I'm in the same situation.

What really worked for me was not just minimizing simple carbs, but doing so later in the day (I found I could get away with eating certain things at lunch that I couldn't at dinner). Also, lifting weights and walking really worked. I don't think I ever walked three miles at once, but often I would walk 1+ miles two or three times a day.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafoodie View Post
There are lots of great health benefits from exercise including walking, but weight loss is usually not one of them.

Get your metabolic heath evaluated - do you have blood pressure below 120/80, low triglycerides, higher HDL, normal blood sugars, normal liver enzymes, waist circumference <= height?

If you have some markers for insulin resistance then focus most on getting metabolically healthy by restricting carbs and avoiding junk food/ultra processed food/sweets. Just real wholesome non packaged food is a good approach - protein and non starchy veggies. Getting metabolically healthy makes it much easier for the body to drop excess fat/weight.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:19 PM   #16

I've always walked at least 12,000 steps/daily and put on an extra 15 lbs over the last few years. To lose weight, I cut out alcohol, reduced red meat, increased vegetables, and added a second daily physical activity (usually cutting, hauling or splitting firewood). I also held myself accountable by weighing myself daily each morning. I've eased back into my previous diet at a reduced level and still hold myself accountable by daily weigh-ins.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Walking and exercise are great for health. No doubt about that.

But, like my grand pappy used to say - '"You can't outrun your diet". IOW, don't count on any exercise for significant weight loss.
Yes, this.

No other way can a human sustainably lose weight over an extended period of time besides if caloric expenditure exceeds caloric intake.

Eat less. Exercise more.

Walking and caloric intake modification are guaranteed to help you lose weight, if your caloric intake is below your caloric expenditure.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #18

All very good and sensible advice here. I used to walk miles a day and while good for “health reasons” it did not accomplish measurable/ significant weight loss.
Caloric intake is the key. I’m not an advocate of intermittent fasting as some have suggested here but eating more protein is important.
I also ride my Peloton just about everyday and I sweat and burn more calories than walking miles a day every accomplished.
Good luck.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:51 PM   #19

My best advice for losing weight is just common sense - manage your portion sizes, eat less fatty foods, and avoid in-between snacks. The longer you can do it, the easier it becomes. Calorie counting - less than 2,000 per day - is a legitimate and simple method to lose weight. It's a lot easier now that almost everything comes labeled with the necessary information. If you can eat more healthfully, it's a double win.
I feel that walking is more beneficial for the muscles, heart and lungs; and it is excellent motivation for a more healthy lifestyle. As we get older, it's much harder to do the amount of intense cardio necessary to lose a lot of weight thru exercise.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:48 PM   #20

I've lost 47 lbs over the last 18 months primarily from following a low carb lifestyle change. I also walk 75 minutes usually 3 times a week

Following low carb has been relatively easy as it really eliminates hunger. I'm just not hungry anymore and when I eat I like huge salads. Even got rid of salad dressing and just use olive oil with red wine vinegar. Yummy.

Also I eat one hard boiled egg every morning. But I still love steak, pork chops, ground turkey, hamburger patties, bacon, shrimp, salmon and chicken.

Goal is to lose another 14 lbs but it's coming off much slower now.

I don't really think the walking does much for weight loss.