Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Want to live longer? Live at high altitude.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Want to live longer? Live at high altitude.

Well, maybe it's not so simple but visited Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs CO recently and there was an interesting article in the local paper about the positive (and some negative) effects of living at altitude (>5000') on one’s health. I couldn't find an online link to the newspaper article but did find a study that seems to support some of the claims (link below). Probably not enough studies/data out there yet but interesting reading nonetheless.

Pros to living at altitude:
- Lower mortality from cardiovascular diseases, stroke, and certain types of cancer.
- People at higher altitudes on average have a higher life expectancy. The top 3 counties in the US for life expectancy were at high altitudes.
- Less obesity, people living at near sea level were 4-5X more likely to be obese than those living at significantly higher altitudes. Higher altitudes have been shown to increase the levels of the hormone leptin that controls appetite. Breathing in less oxygen has also been shown to decrease appetite.

Cons to living at altitude:
- Someone with sleep apnea will likely find that the condition gets worse at higher altitudes.
- Greater chance of getting skin cancer.
- Babies born at high altitude (>8000') are typically smaller in size and have to be monitored closely for breathing issues until their lungs more fully develop.
- For those with existing cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, etc. moving to higher altitudes could make the condition worse.

Found this study that discusses the effects of living at altitude.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113517/
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

Ok. I know nothing about nothing. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some truth to this.

I guess not thinking too much, combined with living at higher altitudes is the holy grail of longevity.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't read the whole article yet but some things appear true. We moved to 7750' and some things are different.

There's not many obese people here. Ones who are, probably tourists*. My blood pressure has risen since moving here from 900'. I've been told sleep apnea is worse bit can't comment.

Interesting they say the chance of stroke is less, it's common for people at altitude to run higher hemoglobin and hematocrit which supposedly can contribute to stroke.

*random observation but is it cause or effect? When I logged my calories every day, pre and post move, my intake didn't change nor did my weight.

ETA: You're tolerance of alcohol is much less at altitude so you drink less.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

I live at 1500', maybe I'll live an extra month from all this clean mountain air?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active? Chances are that obese people would see more stairs and hills to navigate, and would just avoid moving there. Maybe an obese person might get more fit moving to the mountains, or their heart might give out in the first month.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Interesting correlation, one I'd not heard of before.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active?

Good point, that was mentioned in the newspaper article, there are much fewer people living at altitude (>5K') and maybe it attracts a hardy type of individual but they also stated current studies show it doesn't account for all the differences.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Well, maybe it's not so simple but visited Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs CO recently and there was an interesting article in the local paper about the positive (and some negative) effects of living at altitude (>5000') on one’s health.
"It may be argued that moderate altitudes are more protective than high or even very high altitudes. "

Moderation in everything... even altitude.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Probably a lot less particulate pollution at those heights, and living with less air pollution would be beneficial.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #10

I didn't see it mentioned, but I've known people who would not live in the mountains because there is usually a far higher level of radon exposure there. I doubt if it's really significant, but some think so.

Personally, I lived at nearly 7,000 feet for several years when I was younger, and the one effect I noticed was that when I went down to sea level my running performance was much better. Getting all that thick oxygen in my lungs was kind of a treat. The downside was that after a week at sea level, when I went back to altitude it took a couple of weeks to get my conditioning back.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #11

I have a friend that just returned from his second home in Colorado, and he was talking about this issue.

His take is the adverse conditions cause self selection, with the less fit leaving as they get older.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Personally, I lived at nearly 7,000 feet for several years when I was younger, and the one effect I noticed was that when I went down to sea level my running performance was much better. Getting all that thick oxygen in my lungs was kind of a treat. The downside was that after a week at sea level, when I went back to altitude it took a couple of weeks to get my conditioning back.

I live at 5000' in AZ and have no issues jogging 7-8 miles, when I visited Breckenridge (9600') it was a struggle to finish a 4 mile run.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

"For those with existing cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, etc. moving to higher altitudes could make the condition worse"

My sister had a condo in Aspen, and my elderly mother with heart issues went to visit her. She immediately had breathing problems and spent a week in the Aspen Hospital in intensive care. We finally had to fly her home by private jet in severe distress.

This happens very often to visiting elderly people, and the Aspen Hospital's very experienced in treating heart issues due to the altitude and thin air.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active? Chances are that obese people would see more stairs and hills to navigate, and would just avoid moving there. Maybe an obese person might get more fit moving to the mountains, or their heart might give out in the first month.
I truly believe the mountains draw folks who are more in shape. It's a different kind of life, we got our first snow, on the peaks, last night and DW is like a little kid.

Last year at our altitude we received about 12 feet of snow. That's a lot of shoveling if you're not in shape. I frequently see tourists who are suffering from altitude sickness. Our neighbor moved here 3 years ago when we did, he's had constant issues with heartrate and breathing since he came here. At one time they were considering moving back to a lower altitude.

20191018_093612.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you looked into suicide rates? Interesting study out on that WRT high altitude. Postulate that oxygen deprivation is a factor.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The lower obesity could be the likely lower average temperatures at high altitude = burning more calories. When you are constantly cold, you burn quite a few calories.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #17

I used to live at 7100 ft elevation. The thin air does cause you to become more efficient when doing work outside or exercising. The air is cleaner, and there is more UV. I think I agree that the higher elevation being a bit harder to live in acts as a self-filtering process where the less healthy don't stay. I moved away, but not because of health issues. I never had any altitude issues besides the shorter breath.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Have you looked into suicide rates? Interesting study out on that WRT high altitude. Postulate that oxygen deprivation is a factor.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/x...itude-suicides
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #19

i love the mountains and I go up the mountains frequently. And one thing that you get up there is fresh non-polluted mountain air, which is full of energy, and fresh spring water from the snow-capped mountains. That helps!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I live at 14', and I'm surrounded by tons of the oldest people you'll ever see. Most of them still driving. I'm not buying it.