Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
This is a common misconception. On average the flu shot is about 10% effective. Some years it's as high as 40% but that's it. That's because in order to manufacture sufficient vaccine they need to guess what strain will be prevalent during flu season. Not only is is darn near impossible to guess but sometimes there are multiple strains.

Every resident in my mother's assisted living facility was give a flu shot late last year. A few weeks ago the flu ran rampant through the place with nearly every resident getting it. So much for the flu shot preventing flu. One resident died during that period but the cause is unclear. There is about one death per month among the nonagenarians there which seems about right (from an actuarial perspective).

Care to back that average of 10% up with some real numbers....some years are better then others but an average of 10%? Let's see the data.

Personally, I never get a flu shot and I never get the flu. (OK, I got it once in 2007 after my immune system had been compromised and it took me 3 days to realize I had it). They are ineffective and contain either mercury or aluminum compounds both of which are known neurotoxins. Too much risk fo little to no reward. That's just me.

Note: I am NOT anti-vaccine. If they come up with an effective coronavirus vaccine I will happily get one. But a regular annual flu shot? No thanks. At least until the effectiveness rate approaches 80-90%.
I dunno you sure sound like an anti-vaxxer...your "average of 10% effectiveness" is a little shady...got any data for that number?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

My sister's church announces before the sign of peace that it's cold and flu season and if anyone isn't feeling well that it's fine to just nod or wave to your neighbors and not extend your hand.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps we should all behave as Vulcans and flash the Vulcan greeting, while saying “Live long and prosper”.

That always seemed like a meaningful greeting. Beats a handshake any day.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:47 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Perhaps we should all behave as Vulcans and flash the Vulcan greeting, while saying “Live long and prosper”.

Love that!
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
My sister's church announces before the sign of peace that it's cold and flu season and if anyone isn't feeling well that it's fine to just nod or wave to your neighbors and not extend your hand.
It would be even better if they stayed home for a Sunday.

Once before a funeral someone was sitting next to our pastor's wife. If course they wanted to talk not sit. Had a Kleenex in hand and was coughing and blowing nose. She leaned over put her face within 6 inches of PW's and "whispered" to her. I'd have been up and out of that pew instantly. I think I know some people who literally think if you are in church their germs are immune from spreading.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Two yrs ago, I got the flu, even though I had the flu shot and took tamiflu. I went from stage three kidney disease to nearly needing dialysis as a result. I've very slowly been improving, but I avoid handshakes and contact as much as I can this time of year. The irony is that I got it from my 6 yr old grandson. I was caring for him while he had the flu, because my daughter had the flu. I thought I had nothing to worry about with the flu shot.
That's so scary. Not severe at all for me, but the same thing happened to me last year, with my little grandchild who tested positive for the flu. She had been vaccinated but still got it--which might mean she was contagious to people who were vaccinated, like I had been (i.e., if the vaccine didn't prevent her getting the flu, maybe it wouldn't prevent it for me either). Fortunately I had a mild case.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I love Star Trek but I am one of those people who cannot do the Vulcan greeting, I cannot get my fingers to cooperate!

Live Long and Prosper anyway!
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I don't think giving up hand shaking is gonna make any difference at all. Every public surface you touch, from the gas pump to the touch pad to pay for just about anything these days, you are constantly touching stuff that other folks have touched a dozen times in the past hour. Eat out much? Think about that server, touching everything from your plate, silverware, glasses, money, etc. along with every other table for hours and never washes their hands. How many people in the back touched your plate? Dishwasher, cook, etc. And what about those menus? Ugh!! Fact is; if you are going out in public, you are going to touch a whole lot of stuff a whole lot of people touched just before you did. I do my best to keep my hands in my pockets when out. I use the handicap door openers, instead of the manual door openers. I keep tissues loose in my pockets and use those when I do need to touch any surface, then toss or put in the other pocket.
That's a good point, but shaking hands is more firsthand (ha ha), and there are probably more germs.

Someone in our backwater Humboldt County just got the Coronavirus.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's so scary. Not severe at all for me, but the same thing happened to me last year, with my little grandchild who tested positive for the flu. She had been vaccinated but still got it--which might mean she was contagious to people who were vaccinated, like I had been (i.e., if the vaccine didn't prevent her getting the flu, maybe it wouldn't prevent it for me either). Fortunately I had a mild case.

So ironic that I posted my kidney scare from two yrs ago. Today, I’m at my daughter’s (out of town) and again, my grandson was diagnosed with a mild case of flu. He had the flu shot. I’ve been staying completely away from his room and I go home tomorrow. I’m praying I don’t get it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

The no handshake rule seems to be "catching" on--I went to a party yesterday--very few people shaking hands. One lady attempted to shake my hand and when I offered my elbow she said--that is what I mean to do , I forgot.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Just now, Lena met someone on a walk and brought her home to see our house and meet me.

There was absolutely no way to avoid shaking hands without seeming to be weird or pretending to be sick.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just now, Lena met someone on a walk and brought her home to see our house and meet me.

There was absolutely no way to avoid shaking hands without seeming to be weird or pretending to be sick.
Just wash up it's easy at home, it's away from home like church where it turns into a problem.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Just wash up it's easy at home, it's away from home like church where it turns into a problem.
At church yesterday, we had hand sanitizer (DW bought it about a month ago when it was still easy to find, just in case this all happened) and encouraged people to "share the peace" however they saw fit, whether the usual handshake, a fist/elbow bump, or bowing to one another or some such. We had some people choosing each approach. I shook hand with those who were doing likewise, but used sanitizer before we started (to protect others) *and* after we were done (to protect myself), and made a conscious effort to not touch my face in the interim.

In situations like this I think people are a little more forgiving of being withdrawn with respect to personal greetings. At least most are.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

OP here-- at my Church yesterday the pastor announced we were to no longer to shake hands at sharing the peace. He suggested a slight bow and a greeting. Good idea.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Based on what has happened at the Korean church, I also suggest caution around people singing or speaking loudly. Coughing may not be the only way to propel droplets.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Harlee (OP) gets the serendipitously prescient award.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-coro...to-handshakes/

"A few years ago, refusing a handshake would have been the ultimate social snub, but now it’s becoming more and more acceptable."
Old 03-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Al, I always have been a trend setter!!
Old 03-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I love Star Trek but I am one of those people who cannot do the Vulcan greeting, I cannot get my fingers to cooperate!

Live Long and Prosper anyway!
I can't do it with my right hand, but it's easy with my left (I'm right-handed).
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Harlee (OP) gets the serendipitously prescient award.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-coro...to-handshakes/

"A few years ago, refusing a handshake would have been the ultimate social snub, but now it’s becoming more and more acceptable."
I guess that interviewee who shocked my colleagues by saying that it was against his religion to shake my (female) hand would get more of a pass now - especially if he refused to shake any hands at all.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #100

Quote:

Capitol Hill is taking your advice: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/polit...ing/index.html
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote