Join Early Retirement Today

We have quit shaking hands with others to avoid Flu
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have quit shaking hands with others to avoid Flu

DH and I had a bad case of the flu last year even tough we had taken the flu vaccine and Tamiflu. I am a healthy 68 year old and was still very sick for about a month (had a lot of chest pain--doctor thought I probably had pneumonia). DH is also age 68 but has a compromised immune system due to taking Humira for psoriatic arthritis and was much sicker than me--he temporarily lost his hearing, sense of smell and taste--his hearing is permantly damaged by the flu. We are doing everything possible to avoid the flu this year--we had the vaccine in October, try to avoid sick people (but how do you know they are sick since you can be infectious before you show symptoms?), we wash hands constantly, use hand sanitizer, try to avoid touching surfaces, use the Neill Med Nettie pot every time we have been in public, etc. One thing the doctor suggested is to never shake hands with others. We have been doing this consistently (sometimes we offer the elbow bump but not the fist bump). Sometimes we get strange looks from others but when we explain the flu issue most people say that is a great idea. We are trying to get a no handshake policy implemented in our Church.

Anyone else quit shaking hands because of the flu?

harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't quit offering to shake hands as a firm handshake is a part of my preferred means of greeting others. At the same time I respect the wishes of others who choose not to.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

Yeah, this is a good idea for people who are getting older or have weakened immune symptoms. Also, make sure to get your flu shot.

I should stop shaking hands with people because with two small children in school, I get exposed to everything that is going around. I would work from home more, but my management has started discouraging that for some reason. So I'll bring it all in to share.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

When I have a cold, when presented with a hand to shake, I hold up my hand and say "I have a cold". Nobody has ever batted an eye.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
I haven't quit offering to shake hands as a firm handshake is a part of my preferred means of greeting others. At the same time I respect the wishes of others who choose not to.
DH was a firm hand shaker too so it has been a hard habit for him to give up. I have to remind DH not to shake hands--we actually had an argument about it but since he was the one who gave me the flu last year I told him I would "quarantine" myself from him if he did not quit shaking hands. So I won the argument and he quit shaking hands.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still, I bet DH would forget all about the flu if a beautiful young woman rushed up to him and gave him a big hug and kiss. LOL
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #7

I've pretty much resorted to doing fist bumps as opposed to shaking hands and everyone accepts it fairly well.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Still, I bet DH would forget all about the flu if a beautiful young woman rushed up to him and gave him a big hug and kiss. LOL
I'd make an exception as well especially if she was of ample bosom.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This should help:

https://www.maskworld.com/english/pr...em-groesse-uni
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm not exactly a Germophobe, but I do wish the hand-shaking custom would die out.

Especially when I go to see a Doctor. He/she's seeing some sick people, how 'bout we just don't shake hands?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #11

We shake hands at our church during the service. I've noticed many now just fold their hands together and simply say "peace be with you", without shaking hands. We've both also stopped taking the wine from the common cup.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

People don't even acknowledge me, let alone shake my hand.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
We've both also stopped taking the wine from the common cup.
Wine!?? What kind of wine? My church still passes out grape juice, so perhaps I need a new church!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #14

So if you are really serious about missing flu, we are careful about church attendance. IMO when you are retired church could be the number one exposure.

Here's what we do. I monitor the state flu sit as a flu cases start to really ramp up we stay at home until the needle starts to move down. All the church news and sermons are posted online so we read and watch online. The number one problem is people that won't stay home from church when they know they are sick.

Another yardstick I use is the number of people I hear coughing during the sermon. During the bad flu two winters ago my DH was waiting for a major cardiac surgery. I heard people hacking in front of us, behind us and to the side of us. We missed church for over a month but couldn't risk my hubby getting seriously ill before his heart surgery.

I feel like God understands!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'd make an exception as well especially if she was of ample bosom.
+1.... But I'm not so picky.... Doesn't have to be young (20's) or have ample bosom. Beautiful women that are at the "beginning" of middle age (~35+) and are of average build would be perfectly okay from my POV.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm not exactly a Germophobe, but I do wish the hand-shaking custom would die out.

Especially when I go to see a Doctor. He/she's seeing some sick people, how 'bout we just don't shake hands?

-ERD50
Iím pretty sure your doc hand washes between patients.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Hey - the bow with a namaste (hands in prayer position held in front of face) is a nice touchless greeting!
Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I'm into fistbumps. Sometimes high fives if the event warrants it.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
People don't even acknowledge me, let alone shake my hand.
No eye contact either, eh?
Old 02-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #20

I still shake hands, and push a grocery cart, but ASAP, I am in the restroom scrubbing my hands, and making sure I don't touch my face until I wash.

ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote