Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, it's for real. And there's no reason you have to "give up" alcohol, you just have to pay attention to the carb intake. I'm a beer drinker and always will be. And any keto advice you will find always says that beer is the worst possible thing because of its carb content. Yet I don't have any problem because I'm aware of what I eat and drink. I enjoy my beer too much to give it up; I just watch it.
I gave up beer for various reasons before keto, but I was so relieved to find that red wine and sparkling wine are very low carb.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Not what I would have expected! Most here have lost weight. Keto sounds like its for real!! But, I hate to give up the wine.
Dry red wine is usually ~3 carbs per serving. I'm not keto, but low carb. Cabs, Merlots, etc fit nicely in my wheelhouse (as does low carb beer).

For keto, you'd need to keep wine consumption to sparingly, but no need to suffer completely on the wagon needlessly.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

When I first lost weight, I was a little concerned, because I read several first hand accounts of people who lost weight very quickly when fighting COVID-19. So I didn't want to keep losing weight. But then it started creeping up a bit faster recently, so I pulled back.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #44

My weight is down a tad. Pre-COVID days my weight ranged from 178-182. Since lockdown, I've been consistently 175-177. I presume this is because I'm exercising a bit more than my normal routine, and I find I'm eating a little bit less.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad I am not alone regarding the weight gain and enjoying more food and wine.

I feel ashamed being around some of my friends who have not gained weight.
sadie1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #46

I was sick mid March and lost a few pounds. I put those few pounds back and have gained about four more. We started eating too much junk at night watching tv. I told my DH this morning that it had to stop and he agreed. He has put on 10-15 pounds and needed to lose before this.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #47

I am snacking more out of boredom. The scale this morning indicated I have gained 7 pounds since the shelter in place order. Guess I need to cut back on the snacking.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I've lost some weight but I'm not sure how much. All I know is that my waist shrunk about 2 inches. I just bought a scale so I'll be able to track my weight from now on.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #49

I just try to keep my BMI below 25, since March I have lost 3 lbs by adding a cookie a day and 8 oz of Pinot Noir.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Congratulations! Have your eyes adjusted to your new size?
I don't avoid mirrors anymore and keep getting rid of clothes that are just enormous. From 3XL shirts to large or XL. 48 waist to 36. 6'3".
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I gained a few lbs. but probably needed them as my BMI was sometimes under 19.0. It's been a struggle to keep from gaining more. Eating hasn't changed that much (I'm retired and didn't go out to restaurants that often anyway) and I thought I'd be OK replacing my 1.25 hours of cardio at the gym with an hour on the treadmill, steep uphill, brisk walking pace because running hurts my knees. I think that all the errand-running I used to do added up and that I'm spending more time on my rear end, reading and surfing the Internet.

So, I've made sure that every day I add a bike ride, lawn mowing and/or working in the garden. That seems to help but I'll be happy to have the gym as an option again.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I gained a few lbs. but probably needed them as my BMI was sometimes under 19.0. It's been a struggle to keep from gaining more. Eating hasn't changed that much (I'm retired and didn't go out to restaurants that often anyway) and I thought I'd be OK replacing my 1.25 hours of cardio at the gym with an hour on the treadmill, steep uphill, brisk walking pace because running hurts my knees. I think that all the errand-running I used to do added up and that I'm spending more time on my rear end, reading and surfing the Internet.

So, I've made sure that every day I add a bike ride, lawn mowing and/or working in the garden. That seems to help but I'll be happy to have the gym as an option again.
I have a home gym, and in normal times I'd do a workout 2 or 3 times a week. Since the lockdown I haven't been able to do my daily swim at the Y, so I'm working out in my basement 5 times a week. I posted earlier that my weight is DOWN about 2 pounds, and I wonder if it' the additional resistance exercising. When you were at the gym for cardio, were you also doing resistance?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep losing weight, it is melting right off of me, and that is with being unable to go to the gym, so I am getting less physical exercise. But my eating habits are totally changed. No eating out on the weekends, or snacking in the office--there always were cakes or cookies or someone's birthday or another celebration. Now it is just home cooked meals and salads and a healthy diet. When this is over and I go for my annual physical, I wonder if this will show in my bloodwork. It was ok but I was at the top of normal for cholestrol and glucose.
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Gained probably 2-3 pounds in the last two months. My YMCA is closed, of course, so I’m trying to do our home bike and walk more instead.

But the bigger issue is the dessert baking that seems to occur too often! Brownies, tortes and apple crisps keep appearing in my kitchen...
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I lost a few pounds.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #56

Down 8 since the beginning of the year, and I am pretty much at my best target rate. (I weigh just about what I did when I was running marathons 25 years ago. BMI is higher but that is due to age and the fact I was all muscle back then.) Some of that was pre-COVID, some afterwards. I attribute it to a decrease in restaurant food (only one take out order since March 12th) and an increase in walking/other outdoor activities due to working at home projects vs. vacation/travel trips.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #57

I've actually lost about five pounds, but chocolate mint ice cream goes on sale Friday for a week for 4/$10. I may be in trouble....
Old 05-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Last year i got down to 175 which was my goal but gained a little during the holidays. i always do during the winter but with the lockdown I gained a couple more. Stuffing my face while watching movies. So now I need to lose 8 lbs before I head to the beach with my new thong bathing suit.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Last year i got down to 175 which was my goal but gained a little during the holidays. i always do during the winter but with the lockdown I gained a couple more. Stuffing my face while watching movies. So now I need to lose 8 lbs before I head to the beach with my new thong bathing suit.
Woo-hoo!! If you go to the beach this summer, look out, ladies. Here comes the Dawg in his new thong!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Please don't post pictures.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote