Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
squats on a bosu ball work pretty well too

I do those as well as lunges, reverse lunges, kb squats, kb swings and straight leg dead lifts at least once a week
I used to hate lunges, but they are effective.

My lower body workouts are done in 2 parts...day 1 is quad dominate with squats and lunges, day 2 is hamstring dominate with deadlifts and good mornings.

Another favourite of mine is farmer's walk...a few laps around the basement or a few trips up and down the stairs carrying heavy dumbbells.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Some good info:

How To Look Good Naked And Live A Long Time. - Ben Greenfield Fitness - Diet, Fat Loss and Performance Advice
Exrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I do a few basic weight lifting exercises 2X a week. Mostly 3 sets of 5 after a few gradually heaver warm up sets. The workouts are about an hour each. The methodology is better explained at startingstrength.com.

I also ride an Airdyne bike for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week.

I agree with those posters indicating that strength training becomes very important as we age.

Lastly, no, I can't do a pullup.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

My lower body workouts are done in 2 parts...day 1 is quad dominate with squats and lunges, day 2 is hamstring dominate with deadlifts and good mornings.

Another favourite of mine is farmer's walk...a few laps around the basement or a few trips up and down the stairs carrying heavy dumbbells.
we do both in an hour - she says my hams are weak which is why my back hurts so much after I play golf

leg training has really helped my ball striking though
Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Squats not only work the quads, but they involve the hamstrings, the core, and other supporting muscles. If you're doing squats, there is no reason to isolate the quads with leg extensions...you get minimal gain at the possible expense of creating an imbalance.

Compound movements are beneficial because they work more than one muscle at a time which ensures that the supporting muscles can "keep up" to the major muscles. Strong quads without hamstring support can be an injury waiting to happen.
Thanks for the advice. I'll eliminate the leg extensions. I find leg extensions without a machine to be awkward.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll eliminate the leg extensions. I find leg extensions without a machine to be awkward.
I don't think leg extensions hurt anything unless you just do leg extensions - when I do them I mix in leg curls, squats, lunges, etc
Old 12-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Well...as someone who just realized I have been working out/lifting weights for 40 years as of next year...and...who learned just two days ago he has slight arthritis in his left knee from doing very heavy leg exercises for about three of those decades...I would not recommend overdoing it with weights. I came away from my chat with the orthopedist with the idea I will significantly reduce leg exercise weights immediately (starting with today's leg workouts as a matter of fact).

OTOH, I intend for weight training exercise to remain a staple of my activities for the remainder of my life. There are just too many health and quality of life benefits associated with it.
Ditto. I've been lifting pretty heavy (for a girl) for 31 years and earlier this year saw an orthopedist about a slight pain that had developed in one knee. This was after I started moving up again to 115 on lunges. So I've been keeping the weights down since then.

I also decided to get my shoulders checked, since I'd been noticing a slight grinding sensation in my right shoulder. No pain or grinding during lifting, only when I held my arm straight to one side and rotated my wrist back and forth. I figured it was just a bone spur that could be ground off. Turned out I had patches of grade 2 and 3 arthritis in that shoulder, probably from a change in mechanics due to a rotator cuff tear I didn't know I had. Plus there were the suspected bone spurs.

Also, I learned I had a Type 2 (twisted) acromion that was causing wear in both shoulders. And on the left side, the upper tendon on of the long head bicep was frayed. Scary, because I never noticed any pain, yet the tendon could have eventually broken. A number of long-time heavy weight lifters I know had this happen, plus several people I know who didn't lift, but were very active otherwise.

So in June I had surgery on my right shoulder; then in October surgery on my left shoulder. I'm a little mad at myself for going heavy for so long, though I did cut back the weight in my mid-40s. But at the same time I know many people my age or even younger who never lifted but are having joint problems, some even worse than just a touch of arthritis. And some have other problems as well from not working out.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I'm a little mad at myself for going heavy for so long, though I did cut back the weight in my mid-40s. But at the same time I know many people my age or even younger who never lifted but are having joint problems, some even worse than just a touch of arthritis. And some have other problems as well from not working out.
Exactly.

I have noticed that some people are awfully quick to blame joint problems on weight lifting. I think that weight lifting, if done carefully and cautiously, can actually help one to develop some protective muscles around joints and sometimes might even delay joint problems.

Which is not to say that overly heavy weight lifting cannot cause joint problems, but I think weight lifting is an easy scapegoat for these problems sometimes.

To me, there's a difference between just slinging around way-too-heavy weights every which way with reckless abandon and without paying attention, and truly observant, thoughtful, cautious weight lifting that is focused on perfecting form and on what feedback one's body provides during a workout.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:51 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

If health depended on routines as specific and complicated as given above, no one ever would have experienced a living grandmother or grandfather. Possibly humans would have perished, since in times past one had to be physically healthy and fit to survive.

Also, notice how contradictory many of these highly specific must do's are. Either it really matters little, or some of us are seriously misled. My vote is that it really matters little, once one is committed to avoiding couch potatoedom. It is similar to saving for retirement, withdrawal plans, etc. Getting it basically right is what counts. the rest is just selling articles and trolling for clients.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is similar to saving for retirement, withdrawal plans, etc. Getting it basically right is what counts. the rest is just selling articles and trolling for clients.
You know, I think that's a good point. I noticed that when saving for retirement. It really didn't matter so much if my money went to pay off the mortgage, or was invested, or whatever, so much as it mattered that I was putting that money towards my future/retirement.

I hope you are right about health. I have stopped weight lifting for now, and have been using other machines at the gym, as my knees allow. I am no good at these machines, whereas I felt I was pretty good at weight lifting for an old lady, so it's hard to feel very positive about the change.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I don't think leg extensions hurt anything unless you just do leg extensions - when I do them I mix in leg curls, squats, lunges, etc
Good point. I was talking to DW's friend the personal trainer today. She said that I should mix it up. Do squats some days, do leg extensions and other leg work other days. She said a good mix of leg work, as opposed to all squats, minimizes wear and tear on the knees.

Similar to this:

Quote:

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
To me, there's a difference between just slinging around way-too-heavy weights every which way with reckless abandon and without paying attention, and truly observant, thoughtful, cautious weight lifting that is focused on perfecting form and on what feedback one's body provides during a workout.
I've learned over the years to warm up fully and to listen to my body...if something feels a little off, then I'm either doing something wrong or need to back off a little. I don't lift as heavy as I used to, but when I did lift heavy, I never injured myself because good form and caution was key. The phrase "no pain, no gain" was never part of my mindset. If you are doing it right, it shouldn't hurt.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Good point. I was talking to DW's friend the personal trainer today. She said that I should mix it up. Do squats some days, do leg extensions and other leg work other days. She said a good mix of leg work, as opposed to all squats, minimizes wear and tear on the knees.
when my knee hurts we stick to leg extensions

of course if I wasn't so fat my knee (or back) wouldn't hurt so much
Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a recovered runner, age 71. Gave it up about 5 years ago because it ceased bring enjoyable. For years I tried to get in the weightlifting habit but, except for one period if about 2 years, could never keep it up for more than 6 - 12 weeks at a time.

So here's what I do now:
- spin classes 2-3x per week
- C2 row machine and/or elliptical 1-2x per week
- lots of walking

I've just started (about a month ago) going to fitness classes that are a combination of cardio, stretching, ab and dumbbell upper body work. So far I enjoy the classes and am hoping I can sustain them such that they're will give some regular, consistent upper body weight work.

As an old fart, I also need to be working more on stretching/flexibility. I pretty much ignored that all the years (40+) I ran.

But, at my age, I'm thankful I still enjoy working out and am capable of doing what I do reasonably vigorously 5-6 days per week
Old 12-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I'm still just a kid relatively speaking around here, but I do a bunch of wide grip pullups in my current strength routine. I'm hoping to get back to the days where I could do a couple with a 128lb kettlebell strapped to my waist! (It helps to only weigh like 150 anyway at that point). They're a great upper body exercise hitting most every muscle north of your hips (obvious exceptions).

You can scale them. Use a band wrapped around the bar that you step in or kneel in, or put a foot on a chair and spot yourself or have a partner spot you until you can do them free.
Thanks very much for mentioning that a band can be wrapped around the bar to help with pull-ups. My son had some exercise bands from ages ago, but I could not find them until he came home from school and found them for me. I have rigged one up with my pull-up bar, so I should be able to get more than one rep in and build up from there. Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #76
gone traveling

For many, the three most beneficial exercises in the gym are squats, deadlifts, and if your gym has it, pushing a weighted sled. Someone also mentioned farmers walks, thats a real good one too. Leg extensions and curls will not do nearly as much for your legs and certainly does nothing for your core. In any case if you do the two compound lifts, form becomes critical to avoid injuries and to be able to lift more weight, start light and work your way up gradually. Squats will also help your balance. I used to do free weight squats, but now am using a machine which is not as good, but is faster and easier on an old body. There are plenty of youtube video to see what good form looks like. I do not see very many older folks doing these lifts, so if your still in your 50s, thats a good time to start, and I'd recommend everyone give it a try, but get someone that knows what they are doing to coach you.

Also, I've been relatively inflexible most of my life, wish I would have started yoga and/or Tai Chi years ago to go with the weight lifting.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
For many, the three most beneficial exercises in the gym are squats, deadlifts, and if your gym has it, pushing a weighted sled. Someone also mentioned farmers walks, thats a real good one too. Leg extensions and curls will not do nearly as much for your legs and certainly does nothing for your core.
Compound movements bring several muscles into play, which helps ensure overall muscle "balance".

Leg extensions will strengthen the quads, but only the quads. Squats will work the quads, but also the glutes, hamstrings, calves, core, etc. Curls will work the biceps, but only the biceps. Pullups/pulldowns will work the biceps, back, and core which strengthens the entire body rather than just one muscle. I'm the one who mentioned farmer's walks. I think they are one of the most effective "real life" exercises that you can do because everyone has to carry things on occasion.

Compound movements will also help to prevent injury because all the supporting muscles that may be overlooked with isolation exercises are allowed to develop along with the larger muscles. Your entire body becomes stronger...not just a few large muscles.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Thanks very much for mentioning that a band can be wrapped around the bar to help with pull-ups. My son had some exercise bands from ages ago, but I could not find them until he came home from school and found them for me. I have rigged one up with my pull-up bar, so I should be able to get more than one rep in and build up from there. Thanks!
nash031 mentioned scaling. Yes. It cuts the huge gulf for beginners between N and N+1 pull ups (or many other exercises). Just as important, the gradual progression conditions connective tissue and joints to heavier work. Recovery from injuries to connective tissue and joints takes far longer than to muscle injuries.

I use 'Bodyweight Exercises - You Are Your Own Gym' by Mark Lauren. There are 4 levels of intensity, some have variations within levels. But some exercises (including pull ups) don't have a beginner level. You could research which muscles are used and find in the book other level 1 exercises as a starting point. That's a pain.

Or use the book that explicitly shows 10 levels for 6 basic exercises. Pull ups, for example: http://i.imgur.com/qj7xV.jpg The book title put me off at bit, then I figured it's just marketing: 'Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness--Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength by Paul Wade'. You can get a taste of other exercises at images.google.com searching for '"convict conditioning" progression'

Body weight training plus scaling has worked wonders for me.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I use 'Bodyweight Exercises - You Are Your Own Gym' by Mark Lauren. There are 4 levels of intensity, some have variations within levels.
Thanks for the reference. I downloaded this from the library and found lots of exercises I would never have though about. I use the gym most of the time but I tend to slack off on vacations which can occasionally go pretty long. About all I could come up with for resistance exercises were push ups. Now I have a bunch of alternatives.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always enjoyed running and cycling. High energy with lots of sweating However since menopause the just cardio routine just wasn't cutting it any more. I went to a trainer and he told me I wasn't eating correctly and was doing too much cardio. He suggested I cut back on carbs and add more protein to my diet and to eat smaller meals more often throughout the day (helps with metabolism). He also suggested I cut back cardio and add weights to my routine. I get bored working with weights and on machines, so decided to try BodyPump classes 3x/week. BodyPump is an hour long class with choreographed weight routines to music that works every muscle group in your body. Changing up my diet, cutting back a bit on cardio and adding BodyPump totally made the difference. I lost a couple of pounds, but dropped 2 clothing sizes. I also feel stronger with visible muscle tone and have better posture and mobility. I actually have upper body strength and feel much more independent. I can now lift, carry and load my 52# kayak onto my Outback by myself. My self confidence has improved and I recently took up rock climbing. I just feel much more balanced overall. So, I do think that there a multiple approaches to using weights for an overall benefit to health.