Weight training as we age ... NY Times article

For many, the three most beneficial exercises in the gym are squats, deadlifts, and if your gym has it, pushing a weighted sled. Someone also mentioned farmers walks, thats a real good one too. Leg extensions and curls will not do nearly as much for your legs and certainly does nothing for your core. In any case if you do the two compound lifts, form becomes critical to avoid injuries and to be able to lift more weight, start light and work your way up gradually. Squats will also help your balance. I used to do free weight squats, but now am using a machine which is not as good, but is faster and easier on an old body. There are plenty of youtube video to see what good form looks like. I do not see very many older folks doing these lifts, so if your still in your 50s, thats a good time to start, and I'd recommend everyone give it a try, but get someone that knows what they are doing to coach you.

Also, I've been relatively inflexible most of my life, wish I would have started yoga and/or Tai Chi years ago to go with the weight lifting.

For many, the three most beneficial exercises in the gym are squats, deadlifts, and if your gym has it, pushing a weighted sled. Someone also mentioned farmers walks, thats a real good one too. Leg extensions and curls will not do nearly as much for your legs and certainly does nothing for your core.

Compound movements bring several muscles into play, which helps ensure overall muscle "balance".

Leg extensions will strengthen the quads, but only the quads. Squats will work the quads, but also the glutes, hamstrings, calves, core, etc. Curls will work the biceps, but only the biceps. Pullups/pulldowns will work the biceps, back, and core which strengthens the entire body rather than just one muscle. I'm the one who mentioned farmer's walks. I think they are one of the most effective "real life" exercises that you can do because everyone has to carry things on occasion.

Compound movements will also help to prevent injury because all the supporting muscles that may be overlooked with isolation exercises are allowed to develop along with the larger muscles. Your entire body becomes stronger...not just a few large muscles.

Thanks very much for mentioning that a band can be wrapped around the bar to help with pull-ups. My son had some exercise bands from ages ago, but I could not find them until he came home from school and found them for me. I have rigged one up with my pull-up bar, so I should be able to get more than one rep in and build up from there. Thanks!
nash031 mentioned scaling. Yes. It cuts the huge gulf for beginners between N and N+1 pull ups (or many other exercises). Just as important, the gradual progression conditions connective tissue and joints to heavier work. Recovery from injuries to connective tissue and joints takes far longer than to muscle injuries.

I use 'Bodyweight Exercises - You Are Your Own Gym' by Mark Lauren. There are 4 levels of intensity, some have variations within levels. But some exercises (including pull ups) don't have a beginner level. You could research which muscles are used and find in the book other level 1 exercises as a starting point. That's a pain.

Or use the book that explicitly shows 10 levels for 6 basic exercises. Pull ups, for example: http://i.imgur.com/qj7xV.jpg The book title put me off at bit, then I figured it's just marketing: 'Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness--Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength by Paul Wade'. You can get a taste of other exercises at images.google.com searching for '"convict conditioning" progression'

Body weight training plus scaling has worked wonders for me.

I use 'Bodyweight Exercises - You Are Your Own Gym' by Mark Lauren. There are 4 levels of intensity, some have variations within levels.
Thanks for the reference. I downloaded this from the library and found lots of exercises I would never have though about. I use the gym most of the time but I tend to slack off on vacations which can occasionally go pretty long. About all I could come up with for resistance exercises were push ups. Now I have a bunch of alternatives.

I've always enjoyed running and cycling. High energy with lots of sweating :) However since menopause the just cardio routine just wasn't cutting it any more. I went to a trainer and he told me I wasn't eating correctly and was doing too much cardio. He suggested I cut back on carbs and add more protein to my diet and to eat smaller meals more often throughout the day (helps with metabolism). He also suggested I cut back cardio and add weights to my routine. I get bored working with weights and on machines, so decided to try BodyPump classes 3x/week. BodyPump is an hour long class with choreographed weight routines to music that works every muscle group in your body. Changing up my diet, cutting back a bit on cardio and adding BodyPump totally made the difference. I lost a couple of pounds, but dropped 2 clothing sizes. I also feel stronger with visible muscle tone and have better posture and mobility. I actually have upper body strength and feel much more independent. I can now lift, carry and load my 52# kayak onto my Outback by myself. My self confidence has improved and I recently took up rock climbing. I just feel much more balanced overall. So, I do think that there a multiple approaches to using weights for an overall benefit to health.

Just adding my 2 cents :)

I am involved in powerlifting (Currently 27 years old),

Whats great is the sport is for ALL ages, ive witnessed 80 year old grandma's still Squatting/Benching/Deadlifting like champs,

While I cant speak to the specific science of it, many of them get into it as it helps bones from deteriorating and can make bone density stronger.

Fun sport look into it, its not so much about competing with other lifters but more competing with yourself. Contrary to what many people think your not killing yourself with heavy weights every workout but slowly progressing every time you go to the gym.

I recommend it :dance:

I had a few sessions with a personal trainer that led to intense knee pain and cessation of training. Have not had the desire to start again as I don't know what caused my knee issues. They don't hurt normally. Know I need to get back to it.

One thing no one talks about is work on your core. I have been weight training for over 25 years on this stretch of time and did quite a bit in high school prior to that. As part of my routine I do 120 sit-ups on lift days, plus work on my back and sides to exhaustion. My goal is to minimize some historical back issues and since I'm active around the house and doing outdoor sports it really helps keep those areas strong. I personally try and use free weights as much as possible to ensure both arms get equal strength.

One thing no one talks about is work on your core. I have been weight training for over 25 years on this stretch of time and did quite a bit in high school prior to that. As part of my routine I do 120 sit-ups on lift days, plus work on my back and sides to exhaustion. My goal is to minimize some historical back issues and since I'm active around the house and doing outdoor sports it really helps keep those areas strong. I personally try and use free weights as much as possible to ensure both arms get equal strength.

Exercisers like deadlifts, squats, pushups, and chin-ups/pullups will strengthen the core.

As part of my routine I do 120 sit-ups on lift days, plus work on my back and sides to exhaustion.

Most of what I've read recently on fitness states that traditional sit ups are outdated, not very effective, and could actually cause problems. Seems the military agrees, the Army is starting to phase them out of their physical fitness program.

Most of what I've read recently on fitness states that traditional sit ups are outdated, not very effective, and could actually cause problems. Seems the military agrees, the Army is starting to phase them out of their physical fitness program.

Sit ups are a small part of my routine so 120 won't float anyone's boat. I am also aware that other things strengthen your core. Plus the sit ups I do are not traditional so I've eliminated most of the arguments that you all have. That being said I defer to all of the "experts" here and I'm good with being in better shape than 95% of my fellow Americans at age 61.

Reactions: W2R
Sit ups are a small part of my routine so 120 won't float anyone's boat. I am also aware that other things strengthen your core. Plus the sit ups I do are not traditional so I've eliminated most of the arguments that you all have. That being said I defer to all of the "experts" here and I'm good with being in better shape than 95% of my fellow Americans at age 61.

Can't argue with success! :)

Besides, I'm a great believer in the fact that our bodies are as individual as our minds. "Listening to my body" and paying attention to what it is telling me, both in the gym and afterwards, seems to work really well for me.

Besides, I'm a great believer in the fact that our bodies are as individual as our minds. "Listening to my body" and paying attention to what it is telling me, both in the gym and afterwards, seems to work really well for me.

I attribute "listening to my body" as one of the reasons I don't get injured working out...I normally have a planned workout, but if something feels off or if I'm just tired the workout will be modified or even skipped.

I sounds like a lot of exercise experts here and that is great. I do a lot of walking and in the summer work a part time gig that is a very physical job. I work it because I want to stay in shape the best I can. I don't do all the sit up and push up thing but it maybe something I need to do.

I sounds like a lot of exercise experts here and that is great. I do a lot of walking and in the summer work a part time gig that is a very physical job. I work it because I want to stay in shape the best I can. I don't do all the sit up and push up thing but it maybe something I need to do.

Never underestimate the benefits that walking can provide. While he has been sidetracked for a while, Nemo was a dedicated stair climber. It was always amazing to me what he could do, whereas I'd climb 10 flights and be sucking wind.

... As part of my routine I do 120 sit-ups on lift days, plus work on my back and sides to exhaustion.

Sit ups are a small part of my routine so 120 won't float anyone's boat... Plus the sit ups I do are not traditional so I've eliminated most of the arguments that you all have. That being said I defer to all of the "experts" here and I'm good with being in better shape than 95% of my fellow Americans at age 61.

It might have helped if you mentioned in your first post that you didn't do traditional sit-ups. I also don't think any of the posters would label themselves as experts. It was kind of you to do so.

One last thing: I was wondering how many sit-ups (traditional or not) would it take to float anyone's boat?

Never underestimate the benefits that walking can provide. While he has been sidetracked for a while, Nemo was a dedicated stair climber. It was always amazing to me what he could do, whereas I'd climb 10 flights and be sucking wind.

It is better then sitting all but I would guess doing some weight lifting program would be a big help. Winter is a problem for me the other seasons I stay very active and use mussels from the work and things I do.

Just adding my 2 cents :)

I am involved in powerlifting (Currently 27 years old),

Whats great is the sport is for ALL ages, ive witnessed 80 year old grandma's still Squatting/Benching/Deadlifting like champs,

While I cant speak to the specific science of it, many of them get into it as it helps bones from deteriorating and can make bone density stronger.

Fun sport look into it, its not so much about competing with other lifters but more competing with yourself. Contrary to what many people think your not killing yourself with heavy weights every workout but slowly progressing every time you go to the gym.

I recommend it :dance:

my BIL blew out a pec powerlifting. knees too. he held a few records in the 242 pound class in OK. went to jr nationals one year

I used to do a lot of cleans now mostly body weight exercises and moderate lifting - kettlebells, trx etc. I've been lifting weights about 7 years now. age 52

I lifted hard from age 13 to age 20 then laid off 25 years. the muscles came back.

Last edited:
You have to go to failure (unable to complete last rep in a set) and increase your weights over time to build muscle mass. Doing less will keep your muscles toned and healthy but no muscle mass gains.

Probably the most common mistaken belief about exercise. I grew up in a beach town. Started surfing when I was 11. In the era when few went to the gym except bar bell boys, anybody who surfed everyday in the summer until they were tired couldn't help but build an impressive set of paddling muscles, especially the lats. Years later, it took longer to build an upper body from off-road motorcycle riding because one could ride only on weekends, but build we did.

Currently 67, I've always been extremely fit and have been doing a 90-minute workout with dumbbells 2-3 per week for several years. I own all the dumbbells in 5-pound increments from 10-40 pounds, several 50-pound disks for leg exercises, an IronMaster bench with leg and curl attachments, and the Captains of Crush grippers from the Sport to the 1.0. I do sit-ups at about a 70-degree incline, which guarantees I'm not doing many per set.

I do believe weight training is extremely beneficial to maintaining muscle tone and bone density, but I would caution anyone in my age range against pushing to the point of failure or using weights that are a challenge to handle. I have sustained no injuries with my system, but there is a fair amount of soreness and some noticeable creakiness in the joints. When it reaches a point of discomfort, I take a week off and start in again. Almost everyone my age I know who used to be an avid lifter has stopped completely because they aren't willing to accept the need for more of a "toning" program than a "building" program.

I only train to "almost failure"...there's no need to push that hard every time. But, unless you stress the muscles and make them work, you won't see the gains.

Back
Top Bottom