Join Early Retirement Today

Wellcare disorganization
Old 12-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wellcare disorganization

DH switched his Part D to Wellcare to 1) save on premiums, and 2) his most expensive prescription on Silver Scripts is far less on Wellcare, so we'll be saving about $700 this year, if he has no new health issues.

It appears Wellcare is highly disorganized, which is making me question our choice:

- We received TWO "Welcome to Wellcare" letters, different dates
- We received FOUR "Your application has been approved" letters, all identical, just different dates. Each promised to send us an info packet and formulary, which we never got.
- Yesterday, we got THREE separate packets of payment stubs. Why, I'm not sure, since our automatic EFT was processed and approved on November 25 and will begin with our January payment.

I wrote a letter to their CEO in early November, with a photo of all the duplicate letters, and he had a customer service rep call to get more information. I reiterated everything I said in the original letter, and two weeks later she called back to tell me they were looking into the duplicate problem.

I'm writing him another letter today, just because I like writing hot letters about incompetence.

Anyone else have any experience, good or bad, with Wellcare? So far, I'm not impressed with anything other than the cost savings, which I guess was the main goal, huh?

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got involuntarily switched from Aetna to WellCare for Part D. They have seemed disorganized but too soon to know for me, I haven’t filed a claim yet. I got duplicate letters, and I got two ID cards with different member numbers. Turned out one was for the Aetna>WellCare plan I was mapped to, and the other for my actual 2020 plan. Had to call to figure it out. I’ve also been quoted three different rates for my plan so far but paid for a year at the lowest rate already. [Edit: I just looked at yesterday’s mail and I got a WellCare payment coupon book (who does that anymore?) for 2020, even though I paid for all of 2020 more than two weeks ago].

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Anyone else have any experience, good or bad, with Wellcare? So far, I'm not impressed with anything other than the cost savings, which I guess was the main goal, huh?
DW and I switched to Wellcare last year and the changeover took place without a hitch. No issues with DW's mail order prescriptions, they were sent every 90 days without any prodding from us. The Wellcare premium went up about $4 per month but it wasn't worth the effort to change to someone else so we stayed with them for 2020.

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just got involuntarily switched from Aetna to WellCare for Part D. They have seemed disorganized but too soon to know for me, I havenít filed a claim yet. I got duplicate letters, and I got two ID cards with different member numbers. Turned out one was for the Aetna>WellCare plan I was mapped to, and the other for my actual 2020 plan. Had to call to figure it out. Iíve also been quoted three different rates for my plan so far but paid for a year at the lowest rate already.
Same BS for me. You were likely mapped to a more expensive plan as well. That's what they tried to do to me. Going to take the correct card to CVS in early January to see if it works. If it does not, it will become Via Benefits' problem. A December payment was withdrawn for Aetna. So far, so good. It seemed simpler to have the new Part D premium taken out of Social Security, so I opted for that. Seems like the first withdrawal won't be until the January deposit, meaning the payment is deducted pretty much in arrears. I have my doubts about electing paying through Social Security now and fully expect Wellcare to try to deduct the premium for the more expensive plan from my checking account in early January.

If the screw ups continue, I will probably pay more in 2021 to avoid Wellcare.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

This string is not giving me a warm fuzzy about WellCare. DW needs to sign up in the next week or so, to start in February. WellCare is the cheapest, but HumanaWalmart is only $6 per year more (plan cost plus the one tier 2 generic she is on).

Anyone having luck with the HumanaWalmart plan?
Old 12-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #6

The Grasshopper family is split on Wellcare, I went from Aetna to Wellcare no problema. Ms G has duplicate letters, numbers, payments, she is ready to give up.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just got involuntarily switched from Aetna to WellCare for Part D. They have seemed disorganized but too soon to know for me, I havenít filed a claim yet. I got duplicate letters, and I got two ID cards with different member numbers. Turned out one was for the Aetna>WellCare plan I was mapped to, and the other for my actual 2020 plan. Had to call to figure it out. Iíve also been quoted three different rates for my plan so far but paid for a year at the lowest rate already.
I'm in the same boat. Not confidence building, but I'm not sure the others are better.

With BCBS of IL 2 years ago, we would occasionally get new cards in the mail. Every time, I figured there was some change that I had to know about, but couldn't find anything. Some days, we'd get 2 or 3 cards. Then one day, we got nine cards! I wrote them, and they apologized for the computer glitch. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
- Yesterday, we got THREE separate packets of payment stubs. Why, I'm not sure, since our automatic EFT was processed and approved on November 25 and will begin with our January payment. ...
I only got one packet, but I don't understand either - I'm set up for ACH, and they've taken them. I've got a few calls from them, but I don;t want to return a call to a number that I don't see on their site. Maybe I'll call the card phone number on Monday.

At least REWahoo is saying it's working OK for them. We will see.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I too got switched to wellcaer. My total medicine costs last year were about $18.-. Hopefully they will be organized if I ever need expensive meds.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've been with WC for 6 months. Prescriptions have been cheap. No complaints to this point. Like Rewahoo I got a $4/mo premium increase for 2020 but not enough to bother with this year.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Our adult disabled daughter had Aetna drug plan attached to her Medicare plan for last few years.
Shes been passed to Wellcare for 2020.

As her guardian, I handle her paperwork.
Not impressed with Wellcare so far.
Multiple packets of welcome info, cards all identical.

When I called in november, the rep would not speak with me as I'm not the member.
I get that....but hoped the authorization I had in place with Aetna would have magically transferred over.
No such luck.

Rep said she'd send form to fill out so I could act in her place. Weeks later form came, I filled out and returned.
This week I recd letter that the form was incorrect.
Huh?
Called back. This rep explains that eas the wrong form!!!
She will send correct form.
Wonder if this one will be correct.
Yikes
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #11

Wellcare specializes in Medicaid Managed Care and Medicare Advantage plans, in other words, the lower end of the insurance spectrum. I had my doubts about doing business with the company, but did not see a lot of complaints about them here when I asked. I figured for a cheap and simple Part D drug plan selecting Wellcare would be satisfactory. Hope I do not need any expensive drugs this year, and they will be fired next January 1st.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Wellcare specializes in Medicaid Managed Care and Medicare Advantage plans, in other words, the lower end of the insurance spectrum. I had my doubts about doing business with the company, but did not see a lot of complaints about them here when I asked. I figured for a cheap and simple Part D drug plan selecting Wellcare would be satisfactory. Hope I do not need any expensive drugs this year, and they will be fired next January 1st.
I may do the same. But I’ve never used any prescription drugs, so I only took on a minimal $13.70/month WellCare Part D plan to avoid the lifetime penalty later. I assume my Rx good luck will run out eventually and I’ll have to consider a more expensive Part D plan one day.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You've never used any prescription drugs your whole life? You must be amazing healthy!
Old 12-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the same position as Midpack. I take no maintenance meds so am just buying the cheapest plan to prevent paying a penalty in the future.

I also received a payment book from Wellcare (just one). It contained a payment coupon to pay the entire year in advance. Since that only adds up to $156 I'm going to make a single payment and be done with it for the year.

I received a letter with a new card in the mail at around the same time (also just one).

I don't expect great service but hopefully won't need to use the coverage for anything major. If I need a medication I'll definitely check Good Rx as well as any other discounts that may be available (sometimes it seems that just a nice smile helps). :-)
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #15

Another Aetna to Wellcare Part D here... They mapped me to a more expensive plan that removed Aetna from the name, and replaced it with Wellcare, with a significant price increase. Uh, no. So in open enrollment I signed up on Wellcare's website to use the Wellcare Wellness plan for $13.10 here. In the application, I set up EFT for it.

For a while, I didn't hear anything. Then started getting interleaved stuff from them, some partial packages, some complete. Some seemed to think I was accepting their conversion choice (NO!). Some the new choice. Got member card for the new choice (correct). About three weeks ago, got another member card for their conversion choice (wrong!). Called them. They said I was signed up for my choice, and my EFT for my choice was in the system, and everything is OK.

My thought is that they have a parallel process going on, running their conversion choice, that has no connection to what people signed up for in open enrollment, whether signup by Medicare website or Wellcare website.

As clumsy and wrong as this seems, I wonder if it is a deliberate decision by Wellcare. Try this out: Wellcare postulates that the far majority of ex-Aetna members will accept the conversion choice with its higher premium without question. So they want to make sure that they make those customers happy and stay on it, they have a big program to send out stuff to keep them on board (at the much higher rate!). All programmed by user name. Profits Profits ding ding!

But there is a minority that are irked by a big premium increase for no additional value (us!). And those of us that stay with them, but sign up for a different cheaper plan of theirs, are a separate stream. That they send out stuff to us as it comes, when they can.

So here we are, getting all sorts of stuff, and wondering if they have our choice right, or are they totally screwed up and we will find ourselves in January with NO insurance! Or, charged each month for two different premiums!

But everything may be OK. But it does not induce confidence with us, the minority. By the way... last week I got a COUPON BOOK (really?) for the correct plan. Made me wonder about my EFT. If you bang your head against the wall a few times, then it all makes sense. It'll be OK, be happy...
Old 12-30-2019, 04:45 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what a mess!
Old 12-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was one of the ones that had aetna and they automatically transferred me to wellcare select for next year. I went on to medicare.gov and signed up for wellcare wellness, the cheaper plan, which surprisingly has some cheaper prices on drugs than the more expensive plan. after that I just sat and waited for the membership card that said wellcare wellness and the correct payment book. I pay the whole year at once. the rest of the crap that they send out is pretty much recycling. once you sign up for a certain policy on medicare.gov it will show what it is you have purchased no matter what wellcare sends you. I agree they are totally unorganized and if you try to call them they are a nightmare.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had the same experience as others porting over from Aetna but signed up (thru AON) for the $13 +/- plan. I called Wellcare last year in open enrollment and had a bad experience with customer care not being able to answer questions, asked for material to be mailed, (this was mid to early Nov. 2018) told it would be 10 business day and never received it. That is why I went with Aetna. I have a friend who signed up with Wellcare last year due to the lower premium, and he was happy with how it worked for him in 2019. So I'm trying them. Time will tell. Right now I have 2 correct cards, and 1 incorrect card. I bet they just are slammed by the conversion of all the Aetna customers. I don't think they can be any worse than we had about 5 years ago with Express Scripts mailorder!
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You've never used any prescription drugs your whole life? You must be amazing healthy!
Never been hospitalized either. The only Rx’s I’ve ever had was the occasional antibiotic and such. But I know my luck will run out someday.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Same BS for me. You were likely mapped to a more expensive plan as well. That's what they tried to do to me. Going to take the correct card to CVS in early January to see if it works. If it does not, it will become Via Benefits' problem. A December payment was withdrawn for Aetna. So far, so good. It seemed simpler to have the new Part D premium taken out of Social Security, so I opted for that. Seems like the first withdrawal won't be until the January deposit, meaning the payment is deducted pretty much in arrears. I have my doubts about electing paying through Social Security now and fully expect Wellcare to try to deduct the premium for the more expensive plan from my checking account in early January.

If the screw ups continue, I will probably pay more in 2021 to avoid Wellcare.
Another Reader, DW and I switched to Wellcare for 2019 and set up mail order through CVS Caremark, (their preferred mail order provider), and had no issues. For 2020 we both switched to a lower priced Wellcare plan with no issues.

The one change to note for Wellcare is that in 2020 the local CVS PHARMACIES are not their preferred retail provider like they were for calendar year 2019 so it would be best to check before going there.

CVS Caremark is still their preferred mail order provider but for us if we need a new prescription filled it is less expensive for us to use either Walmart pharmacy of Kroger pharmacy for the intitial fill and then setup mailorder with CVS Caremark. Just an FYI regarding Wellcare preferred providers.

wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote