Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Hi Options, like Runningbum said, I am not trying to come up with any exercise regimen. I play volleyball like some people play golf, or garden, or listen to music. It's what I love to do, and I am happy that I have time to play more now since I no longer w*rk. (I started playing volleyball when I was in junior high (well, I played in the elementary school too, but with my mom and some friends just doing passes and such without the court/net - I had wanted to become a volleyball player since I was in my 3rd grade.) and throughout my adult life playing in local leagues.) It's true - it's a plus that I don't have to go to the gym and get on the treadmill (BORING!) or whatever because of this.

I was asking around to see what people ate during strenuous exercises because my body craves calories (my very first post on the thread explains the details) in the middle of my volleyball sessions, and I haven't found tasty/lasting foods. There are some great suggestions and snack idea sharing going on here and I am starting to experiment.

Some people said honey and then someone said protein powder and some others said nuts and... Anyway, I made a shake today with protein powder, some honey and some peanut butter and it is sooo very tasty! I think this can work. It does last longer than honey and lemon water for sure. I do want some varieties so I will experiment more.
tmm, personally, I have a horrendously high metabolism. I can lose five pounds if I breathe too hard (not too far from kidding), and as such have to monitor my weight constantly. It took me about a decade experimenting to find a diet where I don't lose weight, and can gain it back while eating in a very healthy manner if I do.

This is why I say everyone's body is different, and if your goal is to maintain an optimal weight, engage in a serious, lifetime workout routine, while maintaining an extremely healthy eating lifestyle, all for maximum health, it's no small feat. OTOH, as you and runningbum have probably already discovered, the physical, psychological, and health rewards are tremendous.

I view optimal health as a lifestyle and financial investment: lifestyle, because without health mobility is impacted, and financial because health care is a major and increasing cost factor in retirement.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
if your goal is to maintain an optimal weight, engage in a serious, lifetime workout routine, while maintaining an extremely healthy eating lifestyle, all for maximum health, it's no small feat.

None of those are my goals. My goal is to come up with tasty snacks that help with my middle of the session dip in my energy level. If anything positive comes out besides that, that would be a bonus though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #43

Quote:
None of those are my goals. My goal is to come up with tasty snacks that help with my middle of the session dip in my energy level. If anything positive comes out besides that, that would be a bonus though.

I hope this helps, then. If you're eating a well balanced diet you shouldn't experience a dip in energy level, regardless of the degree of intensity (two years ago I decreased my exercise time by 50% and simultaneously increased the intensity--I never experience reduced energy during workouts, even when not feeling well). Excellent sources of stored energy are nuts, seeds, legumes, as are fruits and vegetables. Research has shown eating meat and heavy meals, as well as overeating are all associated with reduced energy levels (even Benjamin Franklin wrote about this!), as are all processed foods/drinks, etc.

Good luck!
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

tmm99 - How about Pocky?
All these Japanese kids in manga and anime eat it during or after practice.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #45

I have used Twizzlers for 45 years now since my high school cross country coach recommended them along with a bottle of coke to help with recovery. Still love 'em

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
tmm99 - How about Pocky?

All these Japanese kids in manga and anime eat it during or after practice.

Why would I do that? Because I am from Japan?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We have made Meadbh recommended nut balls twice so far and they were so tasty and filling! We got all the ingredients except for maple syrup (used honey instead) and almond butter (used peanut butter. Chia seeds gave a nice seedy crunchiness if you get in Fig Newtons. We varied recipes using cinnamon, vanilla essence, cookie butter etc for the second time. All very good. My DH ate so much of it the first time (we did a half batch) that I didn't have much to take with me

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #48

Quote:

I like a big bowl of oatmeal with berries an hour before my bicycling and low cal Gatorade and bananas mid ride (if it's at least a two hour ride.)

Fig Newtons are also a tasty energy bump.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I make my own trail mix...a blend of my favourite nuts and dried fruits. A handful of that and a banana goes a long way.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

tmm99 - I used to play sand court volleyball - 2 man, 3-man, and play nearly 4 hours a day on the weekends... all year long. What worked for me was a protein and glucose mix of about 1:1. I would have enough to get about 20g protein and 20g glucose. I always start with unflavored, unsweetened protein powder and add cocoa powder to taste. I would also have a few nuts (roasted, salted) for the fat (and salt).

Since I was playing in Phoenix, drinking lots of water was always a part of the plan.

For me, Any digestive pain that occurred was a conditioning issue. I have the same problem with my gym workouts. I would swim an hour and then weight lift for 1.5 hours. I needed something to eat in between. So, after swimming, I would have my protein-glucose drink and then proceed to weight lifting. For the 1st month, I had a very upset stomach. But as I repeated the process 3-4 times a week, my system adapted to the new regimen .
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
tmm99 - I used to play sand court volleyball - 2 man, 3-man, and play nearly 4 hours a day on the weekends... all year long. What worked for me was a protein and glucose mix of about 1:1. I would have enough to get about 20g protein and 20g glucose. I always start with unflavored, unsweetened protein powder and add cocoa powder to taste. I would also have a few nuts (roasted, salted) for the fat (and salt).
WOW! That is a LOT of volleyball! I could never get used to the sand court - so hard to move or jump! (and under the Arizona sun? I would pass out with the heat in the first 10 minutes of playing!) I admire people who can play well doing beach style vball. Anyway, yeah, your diet sounds good. I currently have protein powder with no flavor but has some stevia in it and it is starting to get to me (A bit too sweet tasting although I initially enjoyed it.) I need to get some unflavored kind.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #52

Don't eat anything. Drink water. Amount depends on how much I am sweating generally.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Don't eat anything. Drink water. Amount depends on how much I am sweating generally.
Agreed, if you are strenuously exercising then you shouldn't be eating. Water only to keep your throat from sticking shut.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Glycogen stores are depleted after about 2 hours of continuous exercise. I "bonked" on a 10+ mile hike a few years ago and never want to do that again! Each 1.5 to 2 hours, I eat 3-6 Clif Shot Bloks which have electrolytes and sugars in them. They must be followed with plenty of water. At 4 hours, we stop and have a protein bar if we are still hiking. Never bonked again and swear by the Shot Bloks. My husband likes the Sport Beans which are basically the same thing. We buy them at REI or Road Runner Sports.
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote