What do you like on your bread?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Based on forum discussions, I thought all bread had now been found to be evil, and we are not supposed to eat it.

Personally I have always hated anything fatty or greasy, although I do bake with butter. But whereas everyone used to condemn the sugar and butter in cookies, now they exclaim with horror over the flour!

Based on forum discussions, I thought all bread had now been found to be evil, and we are not supposed to eat it.

I just chose that for a title, as its one use for butter, and although I love bread, I abstain due to diabetes:(

Whole wheat or multigrain bread, toasted, with butter and cinnamon.

Gravy! with meat, cheese, greens, more gravy to dip in....

Gotta die from something

No Kneed bread with a nice thick slab of Kerrygold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Fresh tomato slices on homemade whole wheat bread. No mayo. (I hate mayo).

My sister has gone about as close to 100% anti-carbohydrates as she can get, and she feels so much better.

I asked her the other day why she's not lost any weight, however.

I'm into Salt Rising Bread, however it's just so hard to find except in rare bakeries. When they open the starter can, the smell tells them how good the bread's going to be.

Last edited:
I don't eat much bread, beyond the occasional sourdough loaf I make myself.

But when I do, I like lots of butter on it. My favorite is the Kerrygold butter from Ireland. Costco has a good price on it, so I buy a bunch and keep it in the freezer until needed.

Not toasted I like butter on sourdough or plain rolls. If toasted either butter, cheese, or more rarely butter-sugar-cinnamon.

I like to toast my bread and use 4x jalapeño raspberry jelly on top. Not sure what health benefits this has.... or not

I don't eat much bread, beyond the occasional sourdough loaf I make myself.

But when I do, I like lots of butter on it. My favorite is the Kerrygold butter from Ireland. Costco has a good price on it, so I buy a bunch and keep it in the freezer until needed.

We're off bread for the most part. I second the Kerrygold butter. My favorite snack-I have it every day-is Kerrygold butter on rice crackers from Safeway(Calif. supermarket). We did a "Whole 30" program a while back, which excludes crackers, bread, sugar, alcohol etc.-basically strict Paleo. Felt fantastic. But I missed my favorite snack most of all!

There's bread, and there's bread.

Fresh artisan bread doesn't need anything, it's wonderful just as it it IMO. Might dab it in a little EVOO.

But for more ordinary bread, butter or EVOO is all I'd want, maybe lightly toasted. In many Italian restaurants, we'll combine EVOO, parm and (crushed or black) pepper on a side plate, and dab warm italian bread in it while looking over the menu. Yum

I like to toast my bread and use 4x jalapeño raspberry jelly on top. Not sure what health benefits this has.... or not

That's what I'm talking about. :dance:

I am a carbaholic but have reduced my intake of chips. My favorite sandwich is toasted, PB&J (Jalapeno jelly is awesome), pickles, and Cholula. Yummy!!!:cool:

I do run and work-out a lot so am able to burn most of the carbs off. :LOL:

cd :O)

I could live on bread and butter. I never bought into the margarine thing, even when butter was villainized as the worst thing you could eat. My wife caught me once buttering some tortilla chips. Very yummy, but she was horrified.

My Aunt's (now deceased) homemade oven baked bread with good old butter on it, fresh out of the oven.

But that was 50 years ago. Now? I don't eat bread due to the carb-restricted (self-inflicted) regiment I am on. :(

I could live on bread and butter. I never bought into the margarine thing, even when butter was villainized as the worst thing you could eat. My wife caught me once buttering some tortilla chips. Very yummy, but she was horrified.

That's hilarious :). My mother put "butter" on everything when I was growing up (she called margarine "butter"). I try to do the same with real unsalted butter, as our house is now a margarine-free zone.

Depends on the time of day.

Breakfast: Butter & blueberry jelly
Rest of the day: LOTS of butter and some bacon and fresh summer tomato slices, or gravy, or melted cheese.

There is no such thing as too much butter in my book.

What i want on my bread is an engraving of Ben Franklin.

Ha

I polled my kids, we share the same view. Either snails or shrimp broiled in garlic, EVOO, a little pepper, some paprika. Eat the protein, then use some freshly baked bread to sop up the remaining sauce. An alternative is a Portuguese dish, shrimp in a spicy red broth. Or, for lovers of things that come from mother earth, some chopped baby bellos sauteed in oil, garlic, pepper and port wine. Eaten same as before - the bread to soak up the liquid goodness.

I used to make all kinds of great bread in my old bread machine (sourdough rye was my favorite), but I gave up bread (along with chips, crackers, bagels, etc) 6 years ago, for health reasons. Very hard to give it up at first, but now I hardly miss it. As for butter, though, I use it on everything. We can sometimes get homemade pastured butter from a farmer friend, and that stuff is fantastic. I cook with it, put it on my veggies, put it on all kinds of stuff. The whole anti-saturated fat thing is a bunch of nonsense, in my opinion. Margarine, most veg. oils, and anything with trans fat are the things you want to avoid........lots of evidence now that those things contribute to heart disease. If you really want to get a sick feeling, just read sometime how vegetable oil (and the other chemically-extracted jug oils) are made. Yuck.

Industrial Oils: The Ugly Truth

What i want on my bread is an engraving of Ben Franklin.

Ha

+1

From slang of the seventies:

Bread
Money; Cash. "Do you have any bread?"

Back
Top Bottom