Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
6 eggs/wk? Sometimes I have 6 eggs/day.
Cool hand Luke, is that you?

Ha ha. Like I said, I ignore and have probably an average of 10 per week, but not per day.

Years ago my doctor was a shredded wheat in skim guy ONLY for breakfast. OK, maybe oatmeal in the winter. He's come around, so I'm cutting him a break.

I regret the years that I was eating "healthy" breakfasts of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. Honestly, what I see in the cereal isle these days is frightening. Like walking through a tunnel of poison trying to find my "Big Biscuit Shredded Wheat". I've really learned to love those. I know my exact portion, and it has only one ingredient. Still a lot of carbs, so usually 1 biscuit per week (half serving) for me.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I have been going to a cardiologist for 16 years now, and they have never said anything against eggs. My cholesterol is borderline high, but it is more due to hereditary factors than diet.
Agree that hereditary factors are abig factor.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Eggs are fine.
Saturated fats and highly processed foods are not the best for your body. Limit those.

Really, all foods are fine. It is the portions you need to be aware of.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:07 AM   #24

I remember seeing a nutritionist about 40 years ago around the time that the report about eggs being bad for us came out. She told me she didn’t believe it. That eggs were an all around complete food and fine to eat. So I never really worried about eggs.

As a side note- thanks to this thread I went to go hard boil some eggs this morning. Some of the eggs were cracked in the carton. Luckily, today is garbage day and I threw them away. It was a grocery pick up and I usually check but didn’t this time for some reason. [emoji2356]
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:18 AM   #25

Eggs are one of the healthiest foods there are.

Cholesterol is a poor predictor of heart disease, at least at the gross level used by most physicians (if you dig into subtypes of LDL, different story, but even then just a correlate of more fundamental processes, a side effect, not the real issue). For example, many studies show that higher cholesterol is associated with increased longevity among people 60 and older.

Saturated fat is fine, assuming you aren't consuming it in the form of burgers and fries or pizza. That's another bogeyman, built on weak epidemiology, with dozens of uncontrolled confounds. It also violates anthropologic evidence that saturated fat is what we thrived on for millions of years and is responsible for our large brains. This myth is the detritus of Ancel Keys, who will go down in history as a villain and a fraud.

Nutritional "science" is upside down about so much. Maybe some day, the dieticians and medical profession as a whole will catch up. It'll probably be after we're all dead, though (alongside the millions they've already sent to an early grave with their advice), so it's best to do your own homework in this area.

I do recommend pastured eggs, if you can find them. Better than the generic grocery store variety. Less likely to cause allergic reactions (some people are allergic to components found in the egg whites), better treatment of the chickens, and natural chicken diet. Avoid "vegetarian-fed" eggs. Chickens aren't vegetarians. "Free range" sounds nice, but Big Ag has made it so the label is pretty meaningless. If the chickens are housed in a big warehouse the whole day, but they have a little door through which they can access a tiny area of grass, that's enough to qualify as "free range." "Cage free" is similarly meaningless.

p.s. I just got this in an email from my local rancher (from whom I get my pastured eggs). Thought I'd copy and paste here. He is clarifying what the labels mean:

"Free Range: according to the USDA only means the chicken is “allowed” access to the outside. They are still crammed inside buildings with a small door(s) that opens to a few feet of outside space. The sad truth is the hen does not know the door(s) exist because the chicken would have to know how to open the door(s). Many producers use deceptive pictures of hens foraging outside on their cartons.

Cage Free: simply means the hens are not in boxed cages. However, they are still confined inside very small and closed off buildings. They get no sunlight or access to the outdoors. They spend their day standing in their own filth.

Vegetarian Fed: well, the problem is chickens (like humans) are natural carnivores. It eats flesh to include bugs, insects, mice, etc. Hens are not vegetarians. This hen is raised on industrialized feed (probably GMO) and is never allowed outside.

Pasture Raised: is a term used by regenerative farms and means hens are raised outside on pasture. This is what you see when you read about hens in their natural habit."

The type to look for, then, is "pasture-raised."
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #26

As pointed out, we have had this discussion here before. A nice although somewhat long article in The Guardian summarizes things nicely. https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ig-john-yudkin

I don't think it is safe to say that saturated fats are 'bad' for us when they are eaten in whole foods. Most highly processed foods probably are but especially those that were once corn, cane, beet or maybe even grain. And yes it is important to watch portion size but mounting evidence suggests that it is highly processed carbs that knock our ability to control our intake out of wack.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I only eat eggs used in baking, etc. We don't like'em.

As far as high cholesterol goes, that's a reason to have periodic blood tests. A good chemistry panel tells if you have a problem, and you can track it over time to see what direction your cholesterol is going.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Pasture Raised: is a term used by regenerative farms and means hens are raised outside on pasture. This is what you see when you read about hens in their natural habit."

I'm another believer in the value of pasture raised eggs; that's all I buy. Well worth the extra cost IMHO. You get the right ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 acids.

Another criterion is that the label also means the hens have enough outdoor room to forage for those tasty bugs. Typically at least 100 square feet per bird.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Eggs are one of the healthiest foods there are.

I do recommend pastured eggs, if you can find them. Better than the generic grocery store variety. Less likely to cause allergic reactions (some people are allergic to components found in the egg whites), better treatment of the chickens, and natural chicken diet. Avoid "vegetarian-fed" eggs. Chickens aren't vegetarians. "Free range" sounds nice, but Big Ag has made it so the label is pretty meaningless. If the chickens are housed in a big warehouse the whole day, but they have a little door through which they can access a tiny area of grass, that's enough to qualify as "free range." "Cage free" is similarly meaningless.

p.s. I just got this in an email from my local rancher (from whom I get my pastured eggs). Thought I'd copy and paste here. He is clarifying what the labels mean:

"Free Range: according to the USDA only means the chicken is “allowed” access to the outside. They are still crammed inside buildings with a small door(s) that opens to a few feet of outside space. The sad truth is the hen does not know the door(s) exist because the chicken would have to know how to open the door(s). Many producers use deceptive pictures of hens foraging outside on their cartons.

Cage Free: simply means the hens are not in boxed cages. However, they are still confined inside very small and closed off buildings. They get no sunlight or access to the outdoors. They spend their day standing in their own filth.

Vegetarian Fed: well, the problem is chickens (like humans) are natural carnivores. It eats flesh to include bugs, insects, mice, etc. Hens are not vegetarians. This hen is raised on industrialized feed (probably GMO) and is never allowed outside.

My son was just telling me the other day that some states have laws against filming the chickens so they can continue to say free range or cage free when really what is happening is as you state here.

Thanks for the information on pasture raised. I will look for that.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

When we lived in Ca in the 1980's, we had two Rhode Island Red hens in out yard that liked to stay around my daughter's Quarter horse. Those two hens never went in the chicken coop I built but liked the hay barn instead during the day, and at night, being in the horse stall on the horse's back. Every morning, there were two to four eggs somewhere in the yard! Best eggs one ever ate!

One hen liked me and used be at my side when I was doing chores. The other, stayed away. Chickens do have personalities.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nutritional "science" is upside down about so much. Maybe some day, the dieticians and medical profession as a whole will catch up. It'll probably be after we're all dead, though (alongside the millions they've already sent to an early grave with their advice), so it's best to do your own homework in this area.
You brought to mind a clip from one of my favorite movies as a kid, Sleeper:

Old 10-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #32

+1 for only buying pasture raised eggs. Healthier and more humane. That is the only type we purchase. Typically, DH and I eat about 2 dozen eggs per week.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
My son was just telling me the other day that some states have laws against filming the chickens so they can continue to say free range or cage free when really what is happening is as you state here.

Thanks for the information on pasture raised. I will look for that.
It's important that the hens are allowed to express and live their physiological diversity.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Like walking through a tunnel of poison trying to find my "Big Biscuit Shredded Wheat". I've really learned to love those. I know my exact portion, and it has only one ingredient. Still a lot of carbs, so usually 1 biscuit per week (half serving) for me.
I checked out what is Big Biscuit Shredded Wheat, 20g for 1 biscuit for breakfast plus milk is really not too much carb.

My breakfast now runs closer to 20g to 25g carb in the morning and even 30g carb if I am heading out for a round of golf after breakfast.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
I checked out what is Big Biscuit Shredded Wheat, 20g for 1 biscuit for breakfast plus milk is really not too much carb.

My breakfast now runs closer to 20g to 25g carb in the morning and even 30g carb if I am heading out for a round of golf after breakfast.
Yeah, it was only a lot when I was trying to be in ketosis. Now that I dropped a few pounds, I'm gonna go with 2 biscuits next breakfast.

It's funny how you find something you once hated and now love. During the pandemic shortages, we were forced to buy these since everything else was sold out. Now it is my favorite cereal. Very basic and simple with the most minimal of processing.

I mostly have egg days for breakfast, but I also like a little variety.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:46 PM   #36

I nixed all oatmeal for years but when I went back to look at the labels, it is really not bad. I have never liked sweeteners in my oatmeal anyway and I had always gone with "plain" oatmeal although I do add milk in to cook it. I use Fairlife, where one cup has only 6 gm carbs, half of regular brand milk.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I agree with ER Eddie. I eat everything in moderation. Drug company are making a fortune trying to push everyone that’s older on statins which I wouldn’t touch with a 10 ft pole. Now it appears that they are constant lowering the BP thresholds to put more people on those. It’s been shown that people naturally have higher BP as they age. I have been on BP medication for 18 years like most of my mom’s side of the family where diet and exercise doesn’t make a bit of a difference.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I agree with ER Eddie. I eat everything in moderation. Drug company are making a fortune trying to push everyone that’s older on statins which I wouldn’t touch with a 10 ft pole. Now it appears that they are constant lowering the BP thresholds to put more people on those. It’s been shown that people naturally have higher BP as they age. I have been on BP medication for 18 years like most of my mom’s side of the family where diet and exercise doesn’t make a bit of a difference.

Without my BP meds my BP would be near stroke territory. I’m on a statin not because of high cholesterol, but because of a high cardiac calcium score of 1,036. You might reconsider statins if you had my health history.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I might Dash man. I just think that statins are very over prescribed but some people need them. My BP was in stroke range at age 50 despite being thin and exercising daily. But doctors are being pushed to over prescribe them also.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
6 eggs/wk? Sometimes I have 6 eggs/day.
Same here! Eggs are a perfect food.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote