Join Early Retirement Today

What happens to the human psyche (and body) when they’re fed a steady diet of unsettl
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What happens to the human psyche (and body) when they’re fed a steady diet of unsettl

The Health Impact of News Exposure | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote:
A study of 89 people who were shown footage of four traumatic events showed that nearly 20% reported symptoms related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of the viewings.
Quote:
...our constant exposure to endless threads of instantaneous, disassociated “news” without the natural filters of time and context has the power to leave us overwhelmed and still lacking in larger perspective. We’d do better ... spending less time staying on top of each trivial update and devoting more time to discussing, reflecting, and thoughtfully acting on the major issues and events that we feel require our attention.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My elderly father usually starts his day by watching a couple of hours of cable news where all the horrible things that happened recently are covered extensively

It disturbs me to see him become angry and bitter about the horror and injustice to the point that it basically ruins his morning and detracts from all the positive things in his life. He does calm down once I get him out of the house for some enjoyable activities.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave up watching or listening to news that I can't control for the most part. This study just confirms my own beliefs, so thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My father-in-law worked in the Washington DC bureau of CBS News for over 30 years. My parents-in-law live & breathe national & local politics.

"Unsettling" is not the word for it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

I gave up watching TV News on September 13, 2011. There was a grainy, green, sat-phone report from Afghanistan, which claimed to show aircraft or cruise missile strikes by the US against terrorist positions, but it might as well have been an oscilloscope with random inputs. I realised that we were basically in for "bad things are happening, be afraid" for ever. (It later turned out that there were no US military attacks against Afghanistan for many more days after 9/11.)

Now, I browse the BBC news site for a few minutes and get back to things that I actually can do something about.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #6

You know, my mother and father both (divorced when I was 1-1/2) really made efforts to not let anything upset them ever. My mother cause she wanted to stay "mellow," and my father cause he was so emotional that he spent his time looking for things to laugh about mainly. Since they lived to 91 and 90 respectively, maybe they were right?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

I never watch the news and only occasionally scan cnn.com for headlines. But I could go weeks without seeing a headline and wouldn't care one bit.

My MIL is regularly frantic about the world 'falling apart'. I gently remind her that the world has always been this way, we just 'get' to know about it the second it happens.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

What happens to the human psyche (and body) when they’re fed a steady diet of unsettling news?

Something like this, I imagine...

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #9

Thanks for posting this. It came just in time for me---I subscribe to Newsweek and Time. I was about to start a subscription to the National Review because I wanted to read some conservative media to balance out those with a more liberal slant. You possibly saved me a few dollars (and possibly some sanity!). I do think that reading news may be a little less intense than seeing it, especially rehashed over and over.

I never understood how people watched war footage (starting with Vietnam) over dinner......
Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #10

i listen to a morning radio program while driving to work. Sometimes the evening news but never the late news. I like my sleep.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
What happens to the human psyche (and body) when they’re fed a steady diet of unsettling news?

Something like this, I imagine...

One of my best friends is this guy. I usually avoid him but when cornered, I tell him about the positive things in the world and try to explain that it has always been this way. He just moves on after a while.
He has a steady diet of crap so he thinks and talks that way too. It's a shame because he is actually a nice guy until that side shows up.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I get most of my news from Yahoo. I don't need much. Stopped watching the nightly news years ago. No news magazines. When I am home, I do skim the local small town paper. I research something when it gets my attention.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Watch the news?............pffttttt....

I've got enough drama going on in my own little world.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

This topic has perfect timing....just asked DH yesterday if there was such a thing as post traumatic stress syndrome from watching too many current events/political debates.......it is something like watching a train wreck....you don't want to watch it, you know you shouldn't watch it, but you just can't help yourself....good thing vacation is coming up next week or I might have a nervous breakdown! we will be deep in the Okeefeenoke swamp most of the time....no TV! YEAH!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

To me it is how you process it....

I record the national news and watch it... but will skip a story or two if they do not interest me... after a few days, Egypt did not interest me and I skipped them until I saw a headline of the leader leaving...

I do look at the headlines on Yahoo and will read the stories that interest me...

And I will admit to watching a couple of the Sunday political talking head shows... sometime there is something interesting on...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If I need to get news, I go online. The mouse click is under my control instead of being blasted with negativity broadcast at.

News does depress me. I was watching the weather channel today and saw the story about the Amish family caught up in floodwaters in KY. I had to mute the TV after the second time the story was repeated. I guess my skin isn't so thick after all.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I gave up watching TV News on September 13, 2011.
Did you already ask the moderators to change the typo to "2001", or can I ask you some questions about the next six months' performance of the stock market?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Did you already ask the moderators to change the typo to "2001", or can I ask you some questions about the next six months' performance of the stock market?
Good one!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #19

What is the value of news about events that are out of our control?
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

One thing I have noticed after not watching/getting news from any source for some extended period of time. I haven't missed anything and there is not any sort of catch up needed.
landover is offline   Reply With Quote