Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had the same experience so I moved my prescription over a supermarket chain pharmacy that plays ball with GoodRx. I still buy my dog's prescriptions at Costco. He is uninsured.
We did the same thing, moved to Walmart as is closer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I have an asthma drug that my Part D plan doesn’t cover and costs over $900/90 days. GoodRx doesn’t bring the price down, but SingleCare (similar to GoodRx) brings the cost down to $221/90days. My point is there are several prescription discount programs out there and it’s worth checking them all.
Thanks.

For someone who takes pride in finding the lowest price, I never thought to use something other than GoodRX since the savings were usually substantial.

I compared SingleCare to GoodRX and on one medicine I recently purchased I would have saved $30 using SingleCare.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Two things that come to mind in all this discussion:

1) Dealing with point of service price variability (after all insurance/discounts) is problematic.

2) Some new prescription drugs are almost miraculous in their ability to save lives and/or limit suffering (what is that worth?).

How we resolve these two issues is anyone's guess at this point. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:56 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday my dermatologist prescribed a cream (Pimecrolimus). CVS texted me that my prescription was ready and the cost was $100. Along the way, I checked GoodRx and it came up as $83.22. I showed the pharmacy tech my GoodRx screen and she took down all the codes and went back to cancel out the prescription and redid it with GoodRx. Saved me $16.78.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
2) Some new prescription drugs are almost miraculous in their ability to save lives and/or limit suffering (what is that worth?). ........
Don't be fooled by the false choice. The world is 7+ billion people. No one ever said that we have to be chumps and pay for all the research for the whole world. And, in fact, we don't. Big Pharma spends more on advertising than research and a lot of the actual research is funded by the US government, anyway.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That is good, but the customer STILL has to ask, and since the law is only 3 yrs old, I'll be a lot of pharmacists have the old habit of charging not the cheapest price and not volunteering and solution.

Our Costco refused to take GoodRx because we had a drug plan. They would take it if we didn't have a drug plan, so we paid extra for the drug because we had a plan
Seems worse than the gag order !
On one of wife's prescriptions Safeway gave us the GoodRx price w/o asking. Meijer (Michigan) hinted that the insurance price seemed high and gave us the Goodrx price when we mentioned it but didn't ask for a code or confirmation, Walgreens never mentions alternatives but will give you the discount if you give them the Goodrx details.

I mentioned my dissatisfaction in a previous thread. We started out just looking for an early refill for DW that the insurance wouldn't authorize and found that insurance/Walgreen was the most expensive option.
RetMD21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:48 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't be fooled by the false choice. The world is 7+ billion people. No one ever said that we have to be chumps and pay for all the research for the whole world. And, in fact, we don't. Big Pharma spends more on advertising than research and a lot of the actual research is funded by the US government, anyway.
Interesting comments. Just curious, who funds the US government?
Old 12-30-2021, 06:54 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
2) Some new prescription drugs are almost miraculous in their ability to save lives and/or limit suffering (what is that worth?).
+1 (a lot) but YMMV
Old 12-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #49

I just found the cheapest price for my prescription on GoodRX was through GeniusRX. Price is crazy low. Before I place an order I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about GeniusRX or has any experience with them.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Interesting comments. Just curious, who funds the US government?

Obviously US taxpayers. If you consider the fact that the US Dollar is the world's reserve currency and you consider that US debt that is exported worldwide and then add the "inflation tax" and the fact that the US reserve currency status causes US inflation to be exported worldwide to an extent, you might say that the whole world funds the US government.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
Obviously US taxpayers.
That of course, was my point.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #52

US Government revenue: $4.05 trillion
US Government expenditures: $6.82 trillion
Government Revenue | U.S. Treasury Data Lab
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I just found the cheapest price for my prescription on GoodRX was through GeniusRX. Price is crazy low. Before I place an order I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about GeniusRX or has any experience with them.
GoodRx is not a pharmacy. They aggregate pricing from pharmacies and display it on their website. Some pharmacies may discount further with a coupon or pharmacy card from GoodRx - because the pharmacy will not file a claim with your insurance company.

GeniusRx is a pharmacy licensed in 49 states (see About on their website). They are an internet pharmacy - there are no local stores, you get your meds in the US Mail. Search GeniusRx Reviews for any reviews. You might want to consider what your insurance carrier's price is for mail order compared to this company's quote.

They also do no insurance paperwork filing and discount based on their profitability model. They look to be a fairly new entity, and it doesn't appear that they have any contracts with insurance companies (which is neither good or bad).
Old 12-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That is good, but the customer STILL has to ask, and since the law is only 3 yrs old, I'll be a lot of pharmacists have the old habit of charging not the cheapest price and not volunteering and solution.

Our Costco refused to take GoodRx because we had a drug plan. They would take it if we didn't have a drug plan, so we paid extra for the drug because we had a plan
Seems worse than the gag order !

So what if I went to Costco and just said I didn't have a drug plan? Would I be able to use Goodrx or Singlecare? I just checked and the price is cheaper. Luckily right now I don't buy that many prescriptions, so I don't care if it goes toward my deductible.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never experienced this because I use a mail order pharmacy. However, I read awhile ago that sometimes the insurance copay is more than if you just paid out-of-pocket. However, believe it or not, they are not allowed to tell you that. I would look it up if I were you. Or maybe you could just ask how much would it be if you paid cash.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the clerk is tipping you the wink......shop around because our prices are out to lunch.

We often take OTC products to the pharmacist. He usually advises us to buy them and tells us the only difference is the price. Same for some prescription meds.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

I retired at 55 and my insurance doesn’t cover my medication. My insurance had copays and my medications were up to $500 a month.
At Sams I haven’t had to pay over $10 a month for each of them. I had looked into Kroger prior. Just a thought
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I never understood why people do not shop prescriptions just like they do other items. Not much different than buying groceries or clothing.

Especially expensive Rx or those that are bought regularly. Lots of applications our there to check pricing.

Our insurer how offers an on line program to check prices. Alas, it does not cover our city. Wish it did since it could have an impact on our annual HSA amount.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:46 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

You can use Goodrx INSTEAD OF your Medicare drug plan, but not WITH it. I do this all the time. My local Costco has a real wizard of a young man who always figures out the cheapest way.

Besides Goodrx, there is also the free AARP Optum card, and the new Amazon Prime card, and several others. So far, all our prescriptions are free via Medicare (they're all "preventive" I guess) except one, and on that one GoodRx is best.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just checked Goodrx, Singlecare, Geniusrx, Amazon Prime Pharmacy, and Aarp Optum card. For the prescription I need, Singlecare (using Costco) and Amazon Prime Pharmacy were the best prices.

Oh I should have mentioned that it is much higher using the insurance.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prescription meds