Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
This keeps me rather young. My view from the summit this past weekend:

pano2.jpg
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am BLESSED to have a DW that, shall we say, is still very much beautiful, healthy, interested, and aggressive regarding marital intimacy. She is overjoyed that I am retired and we can have more time together.

Seeking opportunities for dancing to the music of our college years, when we dated and I was a DJ, and our B.C. (before children) marriage years.

Date nights a couple of times a week where we each wear outfits that are "pleasing to each other eyes".

Date "weekends" once a month - drive out a couple of hours from home, spend the weekend in a hotel, explore a few local sites and, of course spend "fun" time with each other.

We know we are getting old, and we do not know when age and/or illness will impact this aspect of our lives together. So while we are healthy we continue to pursue it as much as possible. It makes us feel like newlyweds again.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Nicotinamide riboside (flushless form of B-3 one commercial name is Niagen there are others 250 mg 1/2 hour before anything else in AM), CoQ-10, B vitamins, lutein and zeaxanthin, milk thistle, Phosphatidyl choline, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, a lot of water, 3 -4 hours outside work (yard work and things around the neighborhood work up a sweat) per day, whole grain Total with almond milk 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup blueberries for breakfast, multi-grain bread with roasted turkey some avocado lettuce tomato sandwich and 1/8 head of raw red cabbage for lunch, whatever my lovely wife cooks for dinner, and a few beers before dinner a couple of times a week.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
The book "Younger Next Year" made a huge impact on me.
This!!
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I am BLESSED to have a DW that, shall we say, is still very much beautiful, healthy, interested, and aggressive regarding marital intimacy. She is overjoyed that I am retired and we can have more time together.

Seeking opportunities for dancing to the music of our college years, when we dated and I was a DJ, and our B.C. (before children) marriage years.

Date nights a couple of times a week where we each wear outfits that are "pleasing to each other eyes".

Date "weekends" once a month - drive out a couple of hours from home, spend the weekend in a hotel, explore a few local sites and, of course spend "fun" time with each other.

We know we are getting old, and we do not know when age and/or illness will impact this aspect of our lives together. So while we are healthy we continue to pursue it as much as possible. It makes us feel like newlyweds again.
Sounds excellent, truly like newlyweds....
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
The book "Younger Next Year" made a huge impact on me.
Okay "funny" story from 6 years ago. I also read "Younger Next Year" and was inspired too (good book). I got out my mountain bike and decided to start riding several circuits of our neighborhood road which is dirt, mild hills and about a 4 mile circle. My wife was jogging the circle at the same time. Well, from what I've been told, my wife found me standing in the middle of the road, holding my bike, smashed helmet and covered in HUGE bruising/contusions, blood on my face and arms. I still don't know what happened since I had a concussion, seven fractured ribs, punctured lung, dislocated shoulder, torn AC joint in my shoulder, abrasions and lots of swelling along one side. Before the year ended, I was in the ER / Hospital 12 times from various symptoms including what I thought was a stroke. Turns out I had bi-lateral subdural hematoma (blood clots on brain) and had to have brain surgery. Then the docs misdiagnosed a reaction I had to medication and gave me a large dose of what was causing the issue which got me back in the hospital for another week. Then I had to have the AC joint on my shoulder totally rebuilt. Took me almost 2 years to 'recover' with some memory issues/loss and I'm told I've had personality changes ... no one will tell if that is for the better or worse. My point is ... read this book at your own peril
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
Nicotinamide riboside (flushless form of B-3 one commercial name is Niagen there are others 250 mg 1/2 hour before anything else in AM), CoQ-10, B vitamins, lutein and zeaxanthin, milk thistle, Phosphatidyl choline, Acetyl-L-Carnitine.

Interesting, thanks. I just read an article by a doctor who has studied aging. She recommends 5 supplements for anti-aging that can be purchased by anyone (you can also get most or all of these through diet, if you eat the right foods, in sufficient quantity) -Nicotinamide riboside (NAD), resveratrol, astaxanthin, curcumin, and carnosine. We've talked about curcumin recently here. Astaxanthin is the carotenoid that gives salmon flesh it's pink/red color. Resveratrol is found in grape skins and seeds, and the roots of plants like Japanese knotweed. NAD is a B vitamin, as you say. She also talks about other anti-aging supplements, but recommends these 5 as the ones that "touch all of the bases" to slow down the aging process.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #88

Enough sleep. For most of us, that's at least 8 hours a night.
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Interesting, thanks. I just read an article by a doctor who has studied aging. She recommends 5 supplements for anti-aging that can be purchased by anyone (you can also get most or all of these through diet, if you eat the right foods, in sufficient quantity) -Nicotinamide riboside (NAD), resveratrol, astaxanthin, curcumin, and carnosine. We've talked about curcumin recently here. Astaxanthin is the carotenoid that gives salmon flesh it's pink/red color. Resveratrol is found in grape skins and seeds, and the roots of plants like Japanese knotweed. NAD is a B vitamin, as you say. She also talks about other anti-aging supplements, but recommends these 5 as the ones that "touch all of the bases" to slow down the aging process.

The highly credentialed backers of Elysium are enthusiastic believers in coenzyme NAD+ (booster) combined with pterostilbene (claimed to be more potent than resveratrol) in their Basis longevity supplement.

At $480/year, I guess that could qualify as a reasonable "blow that dough" indulgence.
More on NAD+ for anyone interested ----

Dr. David Sinclair, Discoverer of Anti-aging NAD Fad, Speaks About Human Trials of NMN* » LongevityFacts

Do NAD-Boosting Supplements Have Anti-Aging Effects? | Berkeley Wellness
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #90

Good to know about grape skins and seeds. While we don’t drink a lot of wine like we used to do in the past, we do eat a lot of grapes. I think of it as part of my fruitarian diet.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The highly credentialed backers of Elysium are enthusiastic believers in coenzyme NAD+ (booster) combined with pterostilbene (claimed to be more potent than resveratrol) in their Basis longevity supplement.

At $480/year, I guess that could qualify as a reasonable "blow that dough" indulgence.
More on NAD+ for anyone interested ----

Dr. David Sinclair, Discoverer of Anti-aging NAD Fad, Speaks About Human Trials of NMN* » LongevityFacts

Do NAD-Boosting Supplements Have Anti-Aging Effects? | Berkeley Wellness

pterostilbene is in the blueberries which also have other propberties good for you. It is supposed to be 5 times stronger than resveritol (sp?) which a similar ingredient found in red grape seeds. The pterostilbene works on the sert receptors which are where anti aging takes place. The nicotomide riobiside (NR) is two chemical changes away from NAD+ which is the messenger molecule between the nucleus and the mitochondria that tells the mitochondria to produce energy. I can attest that there is an energy boost and a clearing of the mind. It also helps to get rid of damaged mitochondria and produce new mitochondria. It also protects the mitochondria which have little protection unlike the chromosomes in the nucleus. The CoQ-10 also plays a part in the energy production cycle. The Acytl-L Carnitine promotes fat burning in the cell vs carbs.

I failed to include in my regime fish oil and NAC. Fish oil is also a part of the energy production cycle in cells. NAC is a precursor to glutathione which is the master antioxidant in the body.

Back to NR, I cycle it on for 30 days then off for at least 5 days. I can definitely fell the difference. I sleep harder with the NR. My dermatologist told me at my last checkup that my skin was in excellent shape and I had zero inflammation an my liver was in excellent shape where I was told for years that I had a fatty liver. Speaking of the liver, the Milk Thistle is to help keep the liver clean and also helps to flush the lymphatic system.

If you decide to go with the NR, it is not cheap and you should read up on the benefits and side effects. The only side effect I have is when I first started taking it and did not cycle which I think caused some joint pain. Most of this info can be obtained on line.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #92

I’m thinking of planting a black mulberry tree in one container in my alley. I really like the taste of these berries in U.K., so delicious. I’ve heard this berry is even better in health benefits than the regular berries. Anyone has any information on this fruit?
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
Okay "funny" story from 6 years ago. I also read "Younger Next Year" and was inspired too (good book). I got out my mountain bike and decided to start riding several circuits of our neighborhood road which is dirt, mild hills and about a 4 mile circle. My wife was jogging the circle at the same time. Well, from what I've been told, my wife found me standing in the middle of the road, holding my bike, smashed helmet and covered in HUGE bruising/contusions, blood on my face and arms. I still don't know what happened since I had a concussion, seven fractured ribs, punctured lung, dislocated shoulder, torn AC joint in my shoulder, abrasions and lots of swelling along one side. Before the year ended, I was in the ER / Hospital 12 times from various symptoms including what I thought was a stroke. Turns out I had bi-lateral subdural hematoma (blood clots on brain) and had to have brain surgery. Then the docs misdiagnosed a reaction I had to medication and gave me a large dose of what was causing the issue which got me back in the hospital for another week. Then I had to have the AC joint on my shoulder totally rebuilt. Took me almost 2 years to 'recover' with some memory issues/loss and I'm told I've had personality changes ... no one will tell if that is for the better or worse. My point is ... read this book at your own peril
Wow, what a story. I am glad that you are okay now.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #94

Recently read an item that exercise adds 5 years to life expectancy but social sports like racket sports add 9!

Motivated me to pickle yesterday

Another item said Christian Scientists on mostly vegetarian diet lived 5 years longer, but fully vegetarian lived 10 years longer, or something like that.

Trying to keep meat down to half normal portion only for supper.

Tomato sauce for prostate cancer prevention.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
2-3 pounds of beef per day (70-30 ground beef or Ribeyes) and drink water. Eat meat, drink water. Nothing else.
Jordan Peterson diet
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
My plan:

Lots of travel, Corvette driving, and sex.

Not sure if I'll live longer but it sure is fun!

Lack of sexual exercise is a prostate cancer risk factor I believe
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Enough sleep. For most of us, that's at least 8 hours a night.
My wife has had improved sleep with melatonin 10 mg time release, including going dark an hour before sleep
Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
My plan:

Lots of travel, Corvette driving, and sex.

Not sure if I'll live longer but it sure is fun!

I believe boredom and depression drop the immune system and can be fatal. Every effort must be made to stay entertained and find new interests.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #99

Japanese green tea - 3 cups a day
Intermittent fasting - eating twice a day (20 hour fast) or trying
Weight workout - 3 times a week
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Strenuous walk every day. No fast foods. No processed foods. Lots of fruit, salads. and veg. Lean meats-usually on the bbq. Never any butter. Cook only with olive oil. Very occasionally we will have potato or pasta.

Grapefruit for b'fast. Fresh pineapple, etc for lunch with a piece of cheese. Generally meat and a salad w/ balsamic vinegar for dinner.

Plus a glass of red wine most every day. Lots of coffee, milk only.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote