Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I noticed that equipment is getting lighter. Tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, pots, food, almost everything.
So 20 year ago my backpack equipped for 2 weeks trek was about 60 lbs.
Nowadays I estimate less than 30 lbs for two weeks and less than 20 for a week.
If I were to spent some money I could lower it even further.
Yes, I love the new ultralight equipment that is out now! I have a sleeping bag, sleeping pad and recliner, tent and backpack that all weigh two pounds each. Now I need to work on food. I took way too much last summer, I think I could have cut about 5 pounds of food out of my five day trip and my pack would have been about 22 pounds without water.

30 pounds for two weeks is really impressive.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are of the same mindset, in that we need to do all this serious hiking while we can. I'm struggling with plantar faciitis at present and desperately want to get fit enough for end of April in time for more hiking in the mountains.
Good luck with the plantar faciitis, I have heard that is very painful and that it takes quite a while to heal.

Which mountains do you hike in? Do you do mostly day trips?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Good luck with the plantar faciitis, I have heard that is very painful and that it takes quite a while to heal.

Which mountains do you hike in? Do you do mostly day trips?
We live a long way from the mountains unfortunately but do so because of family. We are not into overnight camping, very much amateurs by your standards. Our hikes on a given day are usually 10 - 20 miles and a climb of no more than 2 - 3k feet.

In 2010 we had a month staying in Colorado and hiked day trips in the ranges around Salida. Then had 10 weeks in England of which a month was hiking in the Pennines.

Last year we had 7 months in England, in N. Yorks and hiked day trips in the moors. A total of 625 miles which is what produced the plantar faciitis.

This year we have stays planned in Bryce Canyon, Wyoming and Montana where we will do day hikes. In the Fall we will either drive to Big Bend National Park or N. Arkansas and do some hiking there.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I timed my stretching routine and it only takes 4 minutes and 37 seconds. Thirteen stretches. You may think that's not enough but it seems to do the job. If it took longer I bet I wouldn't do it every day.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #125

Wow, I started a thread that has over 100 replies. When do I rate another star?
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Wow, I started a thread that has over 100 replies. When do I rate another star?
Stars are based on spending levels, not ROI.

You need to spend more (i.e. post more) to get more stars
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Stars are based on spending levels, not ROI.

You need to spend more (i.e. post more) to get more stars
Now, I am going to go to bed and cry myself to sleep.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #128
gone traveling

Its seems like there are several things that many of us on this site have in common: frugality, being an introvert, investment savy, multi-faceted interests, and a strong commitment to being physically fit and health conscious. What an esteemed group we are
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Tried a different workout today for a non-running day. Usually do 45 mins fast walk on a treadmill up to max incline at speed 3.7, but today jumped off the treadmill and did a set of pushups every 9 minutes. I've seen stuff like this on the Biggest Loser. It's a great way to break up a treadmill workout
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Its seems like there are several things that many of us on this site have in common: frugality, being an introvert, investment savy, multi-faceted interests, and a strong commitment to being physically fit and health conscious. What an esteemed group we are
Just think how better off this country would be if they were all like us.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I got on my exercise bike today for the first time in about a year. Boy do I feel out of shape.

Nice to "get on the saddle again", as the saying goes.

Speaking of saddles (i.e., bicycle seats), the biggest drawback of riding an exercise bike, in my opinion is the uncomfortable seats. So, I searched the internet, and found that there are such things as adaptors so that an exercise bike can use a regular bike seat. I need that! So I went ahead and ordered that along with a new bicycle seat -- heck..maybe I will keep my New Year's resolution after all.

Installed the seat adaptor which I got in the mail today.

So nice to ride the exercise bike with a regular saddle. (Just hope now that the cats don't tear up my new saddle ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat adaptor.jpg (488.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Apparently! I still don't see that. To me she looks like she is listening closely, and a caring, understanding, even empathic woman. That is why I chose that avatar.
Combine that with youth and beauty, as she does, and you have defined hot.

Workout: Based on reading papers especially by Dr Kraus at Duke I am convinced that to improve lipids and blood sugar control, exercise volume is very important. Kraus' research shows that lipid and insulin resistance does not correlate well with cardiovascular training- like the training you might do to prepare for a big race or athletic contest. This outcome is heavily dependent on intensity of effort, as the strong results with Tabata protocols have shown.

Kraus' studies show a strong relationship of volume of exercise with my metaolic /medical goals. So I emphasize endurance/"aerobic" work. I keep a spreadsheet of my city hill walking and my rowing. My goal is to burn ~400 kc/day. (Calendar days, not days on which I exercise). I keep an average figure from the date I got my rower back in September, and a 30 day ma and a 7 day ma. So by checking these short term averages I can see if I need to step up my daily rate. Because if my overall averge falls much below 400kc/day, I will have a heckofa time getting it back over 400. Too much mathematical inertia.

Very long walks a couple times a week make it easier to maintain the volume requirement, but I try to never let a day go by without keeping at least a moderately high calorie burn.

Ha
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Installed the seat adaptor which I got in the mail today.

So nice to ride the exercise bike with a regular saddle. (Just hope now that the cats don't tear up my new saddle ).
Do the bikes that allow you to sit back (recumbent?) give as good a workout as a regular upright exercise bike?

Ha
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do the bikes that allow you to sit back (recumbent?) give as good a workout as a regular upright exercise bike?

Ha
In my experience "no" - the upright bike allows more variation in effort (e.g. sitting straight upright, leaning forward on to the handlebars or standing up out of the seat). Also, I find that the recumbent bikes put pressure on my lower back if I am in them for any length of time - possibly a posture issue.

Interesting thread.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #135

I used to lament being a slow runner, although I enjoy 10K and half-marathon races from my vantage point in the back of the pack.

A couple of years ago, I hit on a new way of goal setting that helps a lot with motivation. My goal is now just to finish in the top half of my age group. I'm able to do that often enough that I have a realistic challenge and a great motivator to do my training.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I used to lament being a slow runner, although I enjoy 10K and half-marathon races from my vantage point in the back of the pack.

A couple of years ago, I hit on a new way of goal setting that helps a lot with motivation. My goal is now just to finish in the top half of my age group. I'm able to do that often enough that I have a realistic challenge and a great motivator to do my training.
Competition can be fun or a drag -- it depends on you I guess.

My goal is to log about 4 runs per week in my desk calendar with green ink (the color is important ). I dumped all the competitive stuff some years ago and now just watch for wildlife on my park runs. Occasionally I'll have a meaningful exchange with a fellow birder, runner, walker, cyclist, or horseback rider. My idea of fun.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I had a recumbent bicyle before and that totally exhausted me. I didn't like the feeling as it felt like the blood flow left my legs after each "run". I ended up going back to an upright.

Probably the best natural cardio would be a treadmill, but I've never owned one.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

My current thinking is that bicycling has greatest benefit in relation to risk. That is, it has lower risk of repetitive strain injury than running. OTOH, the risk of crashing or getting hit by a car is higher.

What do you think?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My current thinking is that bicycling has greatest benefit in relation to risk. That is, it has lower risk of repetitive strain injury than running. OTOH, the risk of crashing or getting hit by a car is higher.

What do you think?
I ride mostly on "bike paths"; hopefully no cars will get me there. Also, I don't ride in a group, and average maybe 12mph, so that helps minimize the likelihood of a crash. Still, it'll probably happen someday.

If I could get my give-a-**** score up, I wouldn't mind taking up "jogging" again. It was good to be in condition enough to run ten miles if necessary...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

What do you think?
Biking is my favorite form of exercise. However, at my age I worry more about falling off going downhill than when I was young and stupid. Not sure how I'd hold up hitting the ground at 30mph or so...depending on how I land and what I hit. But I'm not about to quit riding, yet.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote