Join Early Retirement Today

What is your workout
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is your workout

I started a new workout in December that is 6 days a week for about 30 minutes to complete. Day 1, 3, and 5 I do three circuits with dumbells that are only multijoint or compound exercises. One or two minutes of rest between circuits. On days 2, 4, and 6, I do a high intensity cardio on a treadmill for 20 minutes with alternating speeds that gets my heart rate up to 90%. So far so good. I feel great.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did something like that for years. I've since concluded that there is a lot of wasted effort in a routine like that, and you may even be doing more harm than good.

Less is Not Less

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ear-54978.html
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Please explain yourself as this workout was prescribed to me by a Navy Seal who has done this workout himself. He is my age which is 55 and is in fantastic shape.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What I mean is that in doing the strength training 3x/week, you are probably only getting, say, 20% more benefit than if you did it only once per week. IOW, that seal might be in almost as good shape if he only did strength training once per week.

That is, the studies referenced in the first link suggest that much of the extra effort is wasted.

Of course, sometimes a 20% improvement is worth a 200% extra effort.

And as for cardio, the conclusions of Body By Science are that the risks of cardio far outweigh the benefits. IOW, how many former runners do you know who can no longer run due to knee problems?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I started a new workout in December that is 6 days a week for about 30 minutes to complete. Day 1, 3, and 5 I do three circuits with dumbells that are only multijoint or compound exercises. One or two minutes of rest between circuits. On days 2, 4, and 6, I do a high intensity cardio on a treadmill for 20 minutes with alternating speeds that gets my heart rate up to 90%. So far so good. I feel great.
That looks like a pretty good schedule to me. You can look at the threads Al posted, but meanwhile what you are doing is just great imo.

FWIW, I'm in the Younger Next Year camp and do about 10 hrs a week exercise varying from yoga and body sculpting, to aerobic exercise such as cylcing outdoors and tennis, and weight lifting in a gym.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
And as for cardio, the conclusions of Body By Science are that the risks of cardio far outweigh the benefits. IOW, how many former runners do you know who can no longer run due to knee problems?
When I was in college in the mid-80s, I seriously considered starting a running program, but aborted that idea due to just this reason (knee/impact problems). But I still think cardio/aerobic exercise has its benefits, I just do it with things like bicycling/elliptical/plain old walking. Sure lifts your mood!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
how many former runners do you know who can no longer run due to knee problems?
Here's one.....with osteoarthritis - no cartilage in either knee......not caused by running but I'll bet it was exacerbated by it........in the 1970s I was doing 10 miles a day, every day.

Right now, (turned 69 last September), I try and do 80 minutes a day, over 2 sessions, on the elliptical at interval setting...........I'd like to do weights, but wrists/elbows are also affected.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #9

Trombone Al and Alan, thanks for your replies. I think everybody is different for their tolerances and recovery periods. I have worked out on and off most my life and I believe you just have to keep changing things up. I'm going to give this one a shot for about 3 months and then will probably go on to something different. The weight training sessions for me only last about 20 minutes and I'm not lifting real heavy dumbells. Doing circuits also give me the aerobic effect. I also incorporate stretching at the end. I played basketball a lot when I was younger, Trombone, and I have some friends who have indeed suffered knee injuries. But again I think everybody handles things differently. I guess I have been lucky there. I never run farther than 3 miles though.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Here's one.....with osteoarthritis - no cartilage in either knee......not caused by running but I'll bet it was exacerbated by it........in the 1970s I was doing 10 miles a day, every day.

Right now, (turned 69 last September), I try and do 80 minutes a day, over 2 sessions, on the elliptical at interval setting...........I'd like to do weights, but wrists/elbows are also affected.
Whenever asked for advice on a single machine to do a workout, I always recommend the elliptical trainer.

For the last couple of years we have done deep water interval training which again has no impact but is a great way to get the heart pumping.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have always heard that the best exercise is the one that you'll actually do. I am still looking for the best exercise!
It's just like the old Nike commercial. "Just do it."
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
When I was in college in the mid-80s, I seriously considered starting a running program, but aborted that idea due to just this reason (knee/impact problems). But I still think cardio/aerobic exercise has its benefits, I just do it with things like bicycling/elliptical/plain old walking. Sure lifts your mood!
Good quality t-mills usually have flex decks which help a lot.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
So, when you feel like you need to exercise, you lie down until the feeling goes away?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So, when you feel like you need to exercise, you lie down until the feeling goes away?
I haven't even tried the lying down exercise yet! But I wonder if I would actually do it

I have a nice workout from a trainer I used in the fall--five different routines with weights and a little cardio, more intense cardio on alternate days. I wanted something to improve my balance, flexibility, range of motion, strength, and most importantly, "something so I don't feel like an idiot in the gym." I do like it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
I haven't even tried the lying down exercise yet! But I wonder if I would actually do it

I have a nice workout from a trainer I used in the fall--five different routines with weights and a little cardio, more intense cardio on alternate days. I wanted something to improve my balance, flexibility, range of motion, strength, and most importantly, "something so I don't feel like an idiot in the gym." I do like it.
I completely agree that a workout that you like and feel good about is very important.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #16

I walk (briskly) ~2 miles 4-5 days a week and do a once a week yoga class. I know that's not enough - I should be doing some kind of weights - but have never figured out what would work for me. DH suggests I join his gym, but I've never enjoyed / stuck with a gym in the past and don't think I would now. But I figure what I'm doing is much better than nothing so I'll stick with it for now.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I walk (briskly) ~2 miles 4-5 days a week and do a once a week yoga class. I know that's not enough - I should be doing some kind of weights - but have never figured out what would work for me. DH suggests I join his gym, but I've never enjoyed / stuck with a gym in the past and don't think I would now. But I figure what I'm doing is much better than nothing so I'll stick with it for now.
Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Run 4 miles 5 times a week, incline treadmill fast walk 2 days for 45 minutes. Lift weights 2 exercises each 4 sets every day before cardio
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My workout is to soak in the bathtub, pull the plug and fight the current.

Gotta do better.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Run 3 miles every morning at daylight (the pup makes sure I am up everyday), weights and exercise (pushups/crunches) 3 days a week.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote