What to eat for breakfast?

Hey Nash, I did my first tri in 3 yrs this weekend and first after ER at 58 this feb, and as I was thinking I am too old for this, I was passed by a 75 yr old on the bike, of course she was on the US team....it's taking me a bit longer to get back into racing shape, but I'm thinking I should be ready in another year. I just can't seem to give it up

What I thought was strange in the quote was "meat from mammals" as the definition of meat usually means edible flesh from mammals.....

What I thought was strange in the quote was "meat from mammals" as the definition of meat usually means edible flesh from mammals.....

Well, how would you group proteins from cold-blooded animals? (crustaceans, fish, amphibians, reptiles, etc.)

With everything it is a matter of balance. I might have the "traditional American breakfast" (bacon, eggs, pancakes) once a week or so, but on days that I do I cut back on my other meals - which is fairly easy since that fills me up and come lunch time I'm fine with a salad with a few chunks of turkey sprinkled in. Those also tend to be days when I am very physically active.

My usual breakfast is fruit (navel oranges/bananas/pears/pineapple), a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate, 16 oz of water, and a dozen crackers. Sometimes I'll add turkey bacon or DW's homemade wheat bread (a lot healthier than what you get in stores). I'll treat myself to a couple of donuts once a month.

Since going low carb, I eat 2-3 eggs for breakfast everyday, usually adding chopped bell pepper, onion, cheese, and sometimes bacon. I usually have a handfull of blueberries most mornings as well.

Oatmeal had been the only significant source of carbs left in my diet until switching to eggs over a year ago. Although my cholesterol numbers were very good before dropping oatmeal, HDL increased and triglycerides decreased after the switch to eggs. Not only do eggs/bacon taste better (than oatmeal), but they are likely better for you as well.

My normal breakfast is whole wheat toast with a little peanut butter and a glass of almond milk.

Hey Nash, I did my first tri in 3 yrs this weekend and first after ER at 58 this feb, and as I was thinking I am too old for this, I was passed by a 75 yr old on the bike, of course she was on the US team....it's taking me a bit longer to get back into racing shape, but I'm thinking I should be ready in another year. I just can't seem to give it up

I'm coming off of a three-year layoff due to active duty military service here in the states, so I definitely know what you mean. Comebacks from long layoffs are tough [mod edit]. I try not to worry about what others are doing. I know best if I did the best I could that day, and if I've been training well enough.

Part of my ER plan is to be able to race IMs and other tris. Right now, I don't have time for that part-time job, and my wife would probably kill me if I tried. So, I go fast while I can, and I'll go longer when I must!

I was in Perth two years ago. I loved it! Much like San Diego down under! I saw a billion cyclists and triathletes out there, and it made me want to live there (San Diego will just have to suffice for now. :cool:) DW and I honeymooned in Adelaide (wine) and Sydney this past April as well!

/threadjack

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, how would you group proteins from cold-blooded animals? (crustaceans, fish, amphibians, reptiles, etc.)

Broadly, animal protein. More narrowly: fish, shellfish, poultry, etc.

Broadly, animal protein. More narrowly: fish, shellfish, poultry, etc.

I class them as delicious, but frog legs or turtle, probably not my first choice at breakfast.

During the M-F work week, I am a creature of habit: McCann's instant Irish oatmeal cooked with skim milk. I add a few walnuts and some blueberries as a topping.
On the week-end I try to mix it up and get out of my food rut: sesame bagel with cream cheese and lox or scrambled eggs sauteed with pancetta, diced onion, green pepper, mushrooms and topped with some salsa. I also like soft boiled eggs with whole wheat toast.

Last edited:
As Shel Silverstein so aptly put it, "The wife said that when I could see my own d--k, she'd be glad to look at it too..."

A reasonably active adult male needs 2000 kcal or so per day. That's a lot of twigs and berries!

There is a medical diagnosis for that symptom; at least in my neck of the woods...It is called "Dickeydo" disease.....When your belly sticks out further than your dickey do!

Oatmeal had been the only significant source of carbs left in my diet until switching to eggs over a year ago. Although my cholesterol numbers were very good before dropping oatmeal, HDL increased and triglycerides decreased after the switch to eggs. Not only do eggs/bacon taste better (than oatmeal), but they are likely better for you as well.

+1. My HDL and triglyceride numbers also improved after ditching the toast and oatmeal a few years ago and replacing it with eggs, veggies, and some berries in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom