Join Early Retirement Today

What to eat for breakfast?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What to eat for breakfast?

I recently read this advice on what to eat for breakfast. Does anybody else notice anything odd about this advice?

Quote:
What You Should Eat for Breakfast
A healthful breakfast does NOT include many of the traditional breakfast foods. Avoid sugar-added drinks and foods; eat whole fruits instead of drinking fruit juices. Avoid processed meats such as bacon, ham or sausage, and other meat from mammals. Avoid fried foods and foods made with highly-processed grains such as pancakes, waffles or French toast, and many types of breakfast cereal. Oatmeal and other breakfast cereals made with whole grains, with no added sugars, rarely cause a high rise in blood sugar.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The quote is out of context. There is a concluding clause about high blood sugar which is probably the main theme of the article.

Overall, you end up with a boring breakfast.

-- Rita
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I recently read this advice on what to eat for breakfast. Does anybody else notice anything odd about this advice?
Where is the quote source?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Looks like what I've seen before, pretty much just eat oatmeal. But I'm bad at spotting missing things.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the breakfast-eaters that I know eat small amounts of oatmeal, fresh fruit, or yogurt for breakfast.

Honestly I haven't known anyone who regularly eats a "farm breakfast" (bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, etc) for at least 30 years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

I used to eat a bowl of oatmeal topped with a bit of granola and a small single swirl of honey, plus a bagel topped with sunflower butter and a little "whole fruit spread" for a few years. Then I figured out that my ~800 calorie breakfast was making me "hungry" about three hours later because the carbs and sugars were spiking my blood sugar in the morning. (Side note: I am an endurance athlete, so I thought I needed to be carb-heavy in the morning).

Now (still an endurance athlete), I eat about 1/3 cup of 4% milkfat cottage cheese mixed with a splash of coconut milk, a scoop of vanilla whey protein isolate powder and about 1/4 cup of blueberries, and I'm good till noon (five hours later) at about 1/2 the calories and no effect on my training. The fat and protein keep me sated, and I don't need as many carbs as I used to consume.

I absolutely eat bacon and eggs on the weekends... just not with the sugary/grainy carbs. Bacon, eggs, and some berries/cherries, or an orange.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

I used to eat cereal or toast for breakfast. I usually had a mid morning snack too, since I was hungry by then.

Now I eat eggs for breakfast every day. I vary them a bit - omelets with different cheeses, scrambled eggs sometimes with mixed in bacon or sausage bits, fried eggs and a side of sausage.

No more need to snack in the morning.
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

NO BACON?!?!

Egads.

Every morning my grandpa ate bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits. When gravy wasn't available, he'd dip the biscuits in leftover bacon grease.

Too bad this info wasn't around when my grandpa was alive. He might have lived longer than his 95 years.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My FIL would cook his bacon and then crack open his eggs in the hot bacon grease and take a spoon and ladle some of the hot grease over the top of the eggs - it ended up being a cross between sunny-side up and over easy fried eggs. Delicious albeit a bit high in calories.

Sometimes I'll cook bacon and then scrape the bacon grease off the griddle with a spatula and then "toast" my bread on the griddle where it absorbs any residual bacon grease. Also delicious but unhealthy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sometimes I'll cook bacon and then scrape the bacon grease off the griddle with a spatula and then "toast" my bread on the griddle where it absorbs any residual bacon grease. Also delicious but unhealthy.
I wouldn't necessarily soak up the grease with bread, but I cook eggs, steaks, chops, chicken, even fish, basically anything seared or pan-fried with bacon grease frequently and don't believe it's the least bit unhealthy. Saturated fats get an unnecessary bad rap, IMO. But that's for another forum!

Eggs - everyone should learn to love them! I'd eat them every day if I had the time to cook in the morning.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #11

This sounds like advice based on our current best understanding of what's healthiest to eat for breakfast for the typical American. I see nothing particularly unusual or strange about it.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #12

I eat a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal with a banana or berries and a tablespoon of ground flax seed every morning. I also have a glass of home-made kefir or cup of Greek yogurt for protein. The combination keeps me well satisfied until lunch. I find this to be a very healthful breakfast. I often have a hard boiled egg for lunch, so I get eggs in too--love them!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My grandparents used to eat a very copious breakfast rich in saturated fat, but as farmers they were far more active than I am. If I ate the way they did, it'd go straight to my waistline. So I go for a light breakfast: toast, yogurt, tea, and fruits.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

What bothered me is that despite the title most of the recommendations are what not to eat.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #15

This seems like normal breakfast food to me. I've seen people waking up and eating a big plate of bacon, potatoes, eggs, white bread, juice, and even sugary pastries, but clearly that is supposed to be considered a "treat", and not something you normally eat every morning. It would be a rare exception to find someone eating like that every day and not being massively overweight and out of shape.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
NO BACON?!?!

Egads.

Every morning my grandpa ate bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits. When gravy wasn't available, he'd dip the biscuits in leftover bacon grease.

Too bad this info wasn't around when my grandpa was alive. He might have lived longer than his 95 years.
Those old timers just wouldn't listen!

I'm sorry, no protein/fat? Whole grains? Oatmeal with NO sugar or butter?

Outdated gobbledygook. You won't actually live longer, but it will seem like it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You won't actually live longer, but it will seem like it...
+1
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #18

Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it! However, if eating this way has caused you to forget what your feet look like because you can't see past your belly, then enough said.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it! However, if eating this way has caused you to forget what your feet look like because you can't see past your belly, then enough said.
As Shel Silverstein so aptly put it, "The wife said that when I could see my own d--k, she'd be glad to look at it too..."

A reasonably active adult male needs 2000 kcal or so per day. That's a lot of twigs and berries!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Well, let's put it this way...if you can eat bacon, eggs, hash browns, and buttered toast every day, and still be the appropriate weight for your height and body size, then go for it!
I am one of those people. Add pastries, ice cream, chips, whatever...
I choose to eat a healthy diet in order to placate my fear of hospitals.
I have inside information.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakfast