Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What Tracking & Graphic choices for gaining/losing weight - ?
Old 09-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Tracking & Graphic choices for gaining/losing weight - ?

...such as a caculator or spreadsheet of some sort?

What are some good options for this - that would produce a graphic similar to what The Cosmic Avenger posted on a thread about the mental part of weight loss.

I'd probably prefer using it on a laptop as opposed to a phone app.

Would like to be able to enter stats for previous time periods and have it go forward in time as well.

Would like to be able to print out graphs periodically.

This seems a little beyond my Excel capabilities to build.

Thanks!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I use an Eufy/Anker smart scale that automates everything:

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Bluetoot.../dp/B07N1CLF9M

It syncs via bluetooth to my iPhone, the app has graphs and other measurements, and it connects to the Apple Health app (no manual tracking or spreadsheets needed). It’s good enough for my needs.

If I were buying one today, I’d probably go with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FIT.../dp/B078HW8BPY

...because of the ability to export data in comma-delimited format, and the fact that it’s cheaper.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use the spreadsheet software in the free OpenOffice platform to track and graph performance and bio data. Beyond the number the scale gives me, I capture metrics from workouts recorded in the STRAVA app that then go into my OpenOffice spreadsheet for graphing. Workout data I capture includes time, distance, avg/max/zones for heart rate, watts of power output, air temperature, and vertical ft of hill climbing.

I also have a more basic metric for gauging athletic performance improvements that doesn’t take any software. I have a 10 mile/1,500 vertical feet of gravel road hill climb course laid out that starts from my driveway. It’s my own personal time trial. I run or cycle it once a week. Last year a good time on my bicycle was 70 minutes. Now at my lighter weight and fitter body I have the time down to 50 minutes. Making progress and more to come.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a new scale and downloaded the app. I have lost 15 lbs in 8 weeks.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

I believe MyFitnessPal lets you enter data for any time, although it's not designed for that, it's designed for tracking today, so entering back data might be a bit of a pain. I do like their graphs, though. That's what I use, and that's where my chart on the other thread was from, although I don't generally enter old data.

But Excel might be better, as all you need to do is enter a date and a number, and it will automatically create a line graph for you. Just enter your data, click "Insert" on the top menu, then "Recommended charts", and it will give you some choices (see below).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-10-03 09.25.37.jpg (305.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I track it in the same spreadsheet as I track runs, hikes, bike rides. I use Apple numbers
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use several things. I have an excel spreadsheet and you can do graphs with that.

If you are an iPhone user, I strongly recommend Happy Scale. It gives you actual weights and will do weighted averages (several different varieties you can choose between). It also does graphs and charts. It has a lot of flexibility. It is free. There is a similar Android app that I don't know what it is called that some people like. You can probably search for Android alternative to Happy Scale.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #8

Check out the free My Fitness Pal app.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote